Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Nuovo Mexico ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Nuovo Mexico ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 08:09 PM
StellaRossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Nuovo Mexico ID

Im very new to this "poison" and i need some assistance if possible from anyone that has the knowledge and the time to help me out. I have tried myself for a week to make an identification of an above mentioned frame that is for sale on ebay. But i have failed in every attempt to do so. Not even Colnago themselves responds to any of the emails i have written the past few days. Bellow is the link to the pictures the seller provided and if anyone can confirm that it is or isn't the reall thing i would be eternally greatful. All apologies if any of my english spelling or grammar isn't what it should be, my excuse is that i'm swedish and for now better at english than bikes. That kind of sums it all.

Thank You in advance!

Telaio Colnago New Mexico Riverniciato | eBay
Old 11-18-14, 08:52 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
How to identify a fake or genuine Colnago | saarf.net

The information near the bottom of the page on this lnk may be helpful to you.
Old 11-19-14, 06:11 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
I'm up in the air on this one..

A mid-80's Colnago should have 2 external rear brake cable guides?
Old 11-19-14, 07:46 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 274 Posts
I'm not too sure either way. The BB shell looks like the real deal, but the webbing at the chainstays throws me (in addition to the seatstay caps). It's an obvious repaint with okay reproduction decals - compare fonts and what should be two gold stripes finishing off either end of the white decal panel, no white between the stripes. The curve/scallop to the world championship stripes on the downtube decal panel is also a bit 'sharp' rather than a single radius/uninterrupted curve. The RD cable stop was likely added before the repaint (should be a diver's helmet), same with TT internal cable routing. The fork crown looks off to me as well. The one thing I can say with relative certainty is that this is not an original Nuovo Mexico. The price feels steep to me, especially considering all of the modifications, regardless of quality of execution. All comments are related to the Nuovo Mexico model, not Colnagos in general. Also, I didn't translate/read the description, so I'm probably repeating or missing details.

Note: the BB shell webbing, seat stay caps, and fork crown (specifically the clover cutout) may be throwing me because this could be a bit 'newer' than the NM I'm comparing against ('83). Either way it looks quality - I'd lean towards real, but molestered. Considering the modifications to the frame I would consider it for a rider only, not a show piece (I wouldn't buy a bike for show only anyways, not that there's anything wrong with that...). I'd bet it rides very well. I'm not an 'expert' on the brand, just have a similar model and these are the things that jump out at me.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 11-19-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-19-14, 08:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 2,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I'm not too sure either way. The BB shell looks like the real deal, but the webbing at the chainstays throws me (in addition to the seatstay caps). It's an obvious repaint with okay reproduction decals - compare fonts and what should be two gold stripes finishing off either end of the white decal panel, no white between the stripes. The curve/scallop to the world championship stripes on the downtube decal panel is also a bit 'sharp' rather than a single radius/uninterrupted curve. The RD cable stop was likely added before the repaint (should be a diver's helmet), same with TT internal cable routing. The fork crown looks off to me as well. The one thing I can say with relative certainty is that this is not an original Nuovo Mexico. The price feels steep to me, especially considering all of the modifications, regardless of quality of execution. All comments are related to the Nuovo Mexico model, not Colnagos in general. Also, I didn't translate/read the description, so I'm probably repeating or missing details.

Note: the BB shell webbing, seat stay caps, and fork crown (specifically the clover cutout) may be throwing me because this could be a bit 'newer' than the NM I'm comparing against ('83). Either way it looks quality - I'd lean towards real, but molestered. Considering the modifications to the frame I would consider it for a rider only, not a show piece (I wouldn't buy a bike for show only anyways, not that there's anything wrong with that...). I'd bet it rides very well. I'm not an 'expert' on the brand, just have a similar model and these are the things that jump out at me.
I think the above by Sir_Name is pretty good. I am not a student of later Colnagos and this looks the part, I think it left the factory as a Colnago but not what it presents now. So the value is what is it worth as a Bike with Colnago geometry? I also think the chrome has been clear coated and I bet that is not going to be durable. The campagnolo script on the chain stay is a detriment.
Old 11-19-14, 09:24 AM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seat lugs different from the 83 I had, mine had deeper crimping on the tubes and no cut out in the bb, and had 2 cable guides on the top tube. I don't know about later ones.
Old 11-19-14, 10:35 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
It's definitely made by/for Colnago. Whether it's a Nuovo Mexico, I don't know. Whether it's one or two Colnagos, I don't know that either. I know nothing about post-1983 frames (and am no expert on the earlier ones). Derailleur side drop out often has stamp that should match fork stamp. Seems like a LOT of money, unless that really is original paint etc. If it were original, not a lot. Best regards, Eric
Old 11-19-14, 01:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 2,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
It's definitely made by/for Colnago. Whether it's a Nuovo Mexico, I don't know. Whether it's one or two Colnagos, I don't know that either. I know nothing about post-1983 frames (and am no expert on the earlier ones). Derailleur side drop out often has stamp that should match fork stamp. Seems like a LOT of money, unless that really is original paint etc. If it were original, not a lot. Best regards, Eric
It is a respray, the seller states that very clearly, riverniciato is the Italian word for refinish.
Old 11-19-14, 02:21 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
So that's what Rivercin, Rivernec, aw heck River-n i c i a t o means on replacement Columbus tubing decals. I am relatively new here, and am not an expert, nor even a collector, all I wanted to do was confirm that it was a Colnago, and seemed expensive (Imho)
Best regards, Eric