Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 07:35 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome, Hermes!
Old 12-09-14, 09:54 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Hermes, you are AWESOME!
Old 12-09-14, 03:39 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Bikes: More please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Photo courtesy of Tami Reed

Idaho State Cyclocross Championships.
55+Open

As witnessed by my bike, it was another wet and sloppy day in the Treasure Valley. I got a decent start, which put me ahead of the inevitable "first lap dog-pile" and tried to maintain contact with the front group. By half way into the first lap, I could tell that my season of mediocrity would continue. My second wheel(age group) turned into fifth place by the end of lap one, and the only thing left to do was embrace the mud,pain, and rain for what it is..................pure, dirty fun.

Before the end of lap two, I'd pulled back, and passed the hole shot, first lap leader. Before the end of the next lap, third place was dangling within one bobble, and sure enough, I passed him in the sand after he bogged down. The conditions really started to get dicey, and we were all slipping and sliding through the many(but finally, not too many)turns, but there was still some power sections to separate the skill vs. power vs. all-around racers.

With one and a half to go, I could see that first and second were not going to be caught, baring a mechanical. I sorta relaxed, and down I went. Luckily, no harm, no foul, and rolled it in for third.

This pretty much wraps up my racing season. There is a semi-serious/ costume/ fundraiser race next weekend. Some people will be battling for the Idaho Superpresige, and this will make for some animated racing. I'm not in the mix, and may just get dressed up for the fun alone. It may be a good way to transition into my next racing endeavors. After this year of frustration, I'm going to tone down the XC/Cyclocross training/racing, and try my hand at Gravity/ Enduro. I'm also eyeing a 24 hour Mtb race in Oct. that looks like it would be "fun"

And so it goes...............film at 11:00.......................or Thursday......maybe Friday.
Old 12-09-14, 05:16 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nacler22
[IMG]that looks like it would be "fun"
Ha!
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 12-09-14, 05:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,532 Times in 1,488 Posts
Nacier22. Props on making the podium. I am way too much of a pretty boy to ever intentionally get that dirty.

Last edited by Hermes; 12-09-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 05:27 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
As witnessed by my bike, it was another wet and sloppy day in the Treasure Valley.
Hat's off for racing and congrats on the podium. I blew off the cross race that I had planned to do Saturday after seeing it was 60% hike a bike. Then I blew off the Sunday race so as not to be rude to family that I don't see all that often.

This weekend is our state cross championship. They have a 35+ SS category. I'm flipping coins about a 5 hour round trip for 45m of racing when I could do hours on single track that ought to be buffed and tacky.
Old 12-09-14, 07:32 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats nacler!
Old 12-09-14, 07:54 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Congrats nacler!
Ditto!

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-09-14, 08:25 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave
Ha!
I may need an intervention. Watch this space for a cry for help.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Nacier22. Props on making the podium. I am way too much of a pretty boy to ever intentionally get that dirty.
Just take Ex's advice, and dip your bike and body in a bucket of Rain-X. Spic and Span, yeah, that's plan.

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Hat's off for racing and congrats on the podium. I blew off the cross race that I had planned to do Saturday after seeing it was 60% hike a bike. Then I blew off the Sunday race so as not to be rude to family that I don't see all that often.

Thank you sir.

This weekend is our state cross championship. They have a 35+ SS category. I'm flipping coins about a 5 hour round trip for 45m of racing when I could do hours on single track that ought to be buffed and tacky.
At this point, I'd pick me some quality saddle time on hero dirt, over car seat time. Then again, I'm lazy.

Congrats nacler!
Thanks shovelhd. Still kinda bummed we didn't see you in a cross race this season.
Old 12-09-14, 08:28 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
Ditto!
Thanks revchuck.
Old 12-10-14, 12:36 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Nacler, your driveline looked shiny! Not so bad, after all!!

Congratulations on the podium, strong, strong work!!!!! I'm proud of you!!!! And thanks for getting me into cross and sending all those props my way!

Now, if we can just get Cleave and Hermes to join the fun...
Old 12-10-14, 06:35 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nacler, I was in several cross races this year, in a blue shirt. That's where I belong
Old 12-10-14, 08:38 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
Nacler, your driveline looked shiny! Not so bad, after all!!

Congratulations on the podium, strong, strong work!!!!! I'm proud of you!!!! And thanks for getting me into cross and sending all those props my way!

Now, if we can just get Cleave and Hermes to join the fun...
Thanks sara.

As far as getting Cleave and Hermes to make the leap (see what I did there?) to cross; we could try shaming them, but like all things that are scary, tough, and not for the faint of heart, leading by example is the best tactic.

Nacler, I was in several cross races this year, in a blue shirt. That's where I belong
First.........thanks for giving back to the sport that we all revel in.

Second........."hand-ups are not a crime"
Old 12-11-14, 12:02 AM
Cleave

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

I have no shame.
Old 12-11-14, 06:18 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been told many times by people that race against me that I should do cross because I'd be really good at it. One of them has 26 national jerseys. I think the only way I would do it is to quit racing road. It's just too much racing to do both. The thing is, I'm not done racing road.

In the meantime I will enjoy the staging, call ups, tire checks, timing, scoring, and pit policing. I can get away with heckling you, but no hand ups .
Old 12-11-14, 09:09 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Way to go nacler!
Old 12-11-14, 09:19 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on a State podium and great season nacler!!!
Old 12-12-14, 12:26 AM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been told many times by people that race against me that I should do cross because I'd be really good at it. One of them has 26 national jerseys. I think the only way I would do it is to quit racing road. It's just too much racing to do both. The thing is, I'm not done racing road.

In the meantime I will enjoy the staging, call ups, tire checks, timing, scoring, and pit policing. I can get away with heckling you, but no hand ups .

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Way to go nacler!
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Congrats on a State podium and great season nacler!!!
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to next season: some big changes on the horizon.
Old 12-17-14, 12:35 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to next season: some big changes on the horizon.
What?, team, bike, weight, moving to Ohio, gender?
Old 12-17-14, 03:56 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
What?, team, bike, weight, moving to Ohio, gender?
Well........................... I'll be selling two houses in the next 6 months, thinking of starting another small(very) business, and downsizing in most facets of my life, even bikes.

On the bike racing side of things, I'm going to dial back the XC/CX intensive focus. The plan is to try my hand at ™Enduro for a more gravity oriented slant(see what I did there?). I really need a break from the intensive training that it takes to be even remotely competitive. This last year started off really well until mid June, then the wheels just fell off, and never really came back. It wasn't over-training, or any overt illness that caused my decline in form, which just makes the whole episode even more frustrating. It seems to me, that a higher power may be tapping on my shoulder, and prescribing a change. I've always been one to take my medicine when needed, so baggy shorts and knee pads, here I come.

Now to seemingly contradict what I just wrote, I have my eye on a 24hr Mtb race in Oct. I plan to consult a world champion in multiple ultra -endurance disciplines, to see what he thinks of my plan. I dunno, but the idea of a 24hr race really appeals to me right now, and I think that it would be in/near my wheelhouse.

I guess, more than anything else, I just want to mix things up, and see what spills out of the edges.

Also, I'm waiting on a video from Chris Haskell that may show me snap my chain, in a meaningless sprint, at the season ending cross race last Sat. Regardless, I'll post my last report of the year when it comes out.
Old 12-17-14, 04:17 PM
Cleave

@nacler22, you convince others to try to get me to race CX and then you tell us you're giving it up?

Seasons and our success in them (by our personal measures) can vary greatly over time. A bad year can lead into a very good year. (At least I hope that's what will happen to me.) Don't be too quick to judge yourself. Regardless, I presume you will have fun and success in whatever you decide.

BTW, my wife and I -- OK, mostly I -- will be downsizing over the next 12-18 months as we build and then move into a smaller house. I think and hope that less is more at our age.
Old 12-17-14, 05:37 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dibs on anything 54cm.
Old 12-17-14, 06:06 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave;1739677[U
4]@nacler22, you convince others to try to get me to race CX and then you tell us you're giving it up?[/U]

Seasons and our success in them (by our personal measures) can vary greatly over time. A bad year can lead into a very good year. (At least I hope that's what will happen to me.) Don't be too quick to judge yourself. Regardless, I presume you will have fun and success in whatever you decide.

BTW, my wife and I -- OK, mostly I -- will be downsizing over the next 12-18 months as we build and then move into a smaller house. I think and hope that less is more at our age.
I know, right!!!

I'm not giving up cross or XC mtb entirely. I'm just gonna breath thru my nose for a while, and then if I feel like it, try and smash the last month or two of the season.

As it relates to shelter, less is unequivocally more, at this stage in my life. I won't presume to know if your wife and you will like the downsize, but I've yet to hear from anyone I know, that thinks it was a bad idea........... good luck.
Old 12-17-14, 06:22 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
so baggy shorts and knee pads, here I come...
I guess, more than anything else, I just want to mix things up, and see what spills out of the edges.
Don't go too baggy on the shorts. Some things you don't want spilling out.

I sort of downsized this year. Definitely went a bit simpler. And I can relate to wanting/needing to do some different things. Ordered a downhill bike and a 120mm bike a few weeks ago.

See you at Mammoth.
Old 12-17-14, 07:06 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Don't go too baggy on the shorts. Some things you don't want spilling out.

I sort of downsized this year. Definitely went a bit simpler. And I can relate to wanting/needing to do some different things. Ordered a downhill bike and a 120mm bike a few weeks ago.

See you at Mammoth.
Ha, excellent mash-up. I really left that one dangling over the plate.

I demo'ed a Santa Cruz Nomad a little while ago, and really gave it a good shake down. Due to time constraints, and lack of suitable terrain, I wasn't able to send it down what the kids call "The Gnar". What trails I did hit, helped impress upon me what a beast this bike is. Way, way more bike than I legitimately need, but I am smitten. Plus, the guys who I ride with, and who truly know their *&^%, all think that the bike would be my best bet........................come on Santa.

I'm 87.3% sure on making Mammoth this coming year, just a little concerned that the aforementioned life's changes may result in some O.B.E around Julyish.

2016, Vampire Zombies won't keep me away. Then again, it may go back to Bend that year............whatevers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.