Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

where to ride on the road

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

where to ride on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 10:55 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Just because society doesn't currently meet your standards, it doesn't mean that its static, or mired in status quo.
So you acknowledge that I have standards? Bravo!
And now it's just one small step to understanding that someone with standards that differ from societal norms might actually view laws and fiscal appropriations that discriminate against active transport to be...um...discriminatory.
Old 12-28-14, 10:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
anarchist scofflaws or tree-hugging greenies?
Smug, obnoxious, self righteous, oh-so-politically-correct characters who ride a bike and believe that earns them higher status on the PC continuum.
Old 12-28-14, 11:00 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think its a matter of intolerance, but a reflection of the fact we are a very small minority vying for a limited resource.
what limits? the USA is one of the richest nations on this planet. we are, in fact, richer than the dutch or danes per capita.
Old 12-28-14, 11:02 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Smug, obnoxious, self righteous, oh-so-politically-correct characters who ride a bike and believe that earns them higher status on the PC continuum.
bwahahahaha!

i view riding a bike to be as trivial as walking. imo, there is absolutely nothing special about cycling for transport. nor is it remotely dangerous (on a relative basis) for the vast majority of people.
Old 12-28-14, 11:45 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
People in Seattle are apparently not as tolerant as those in your area. Every time the local newspaper publishes an article or an editorial about new or proposed pedestrian/cyclist infrastructure , the comments section will be filled with negative comments calling us all sorts of names such as tax thieves, scofflaws and elitists. OTOH, an article about expanding freeways will be greeted with praises and woohoos. Kind of in line with what @spare_wheel said about intolerance towards minority behaviors.
Pick any topic you want, and read the comments sections of the news sites.

You'll generally find the comments driven by an isolated, intolerant minority who find no other outlet for their unpopular views. They can say things on-line that would have them shunned from decent company, usually hiding behind pseudonyms so they don't risk outing themselves to the people they know in real life.

If you look at scientifically-conducted polls, or election results, Seattle's population is highly supportive of bicycle transportation. Indeed, that's one of the reasons the anti-cyclists have been driven to the news comments, they've failed to gain support out in the real world, and often claim that's the work of some vast liberal conspiracy.
Old 12-28-14, 12:12 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Those who espouse contempt for society to set themselves apart so they can feel smug and superior to the unclean masses.
Old 12-28-14, 12:35 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

So you acknowledge that I have standards? Bravo!
And now it's just one small step to understanding that someone with standards that differ from societal norms might actually view laws and fiscal appropriations that discriminate against active transport to be...um...discriminatory.
Now if those who have chosen to have "standards that differ from societal norms" could understand the natural consequences of setting oneself apart are not being done to them, we might get somewhere.
Old 12-28-14, 01:02 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I will find it very sad if cycling, which is considered a normal (and even preferred) means of transport in many other parts of the world, is viewed as "one of the counter culture affectations" in this country.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-28-14, 01:13 PM
kickstart

Originally Posted by jputnam
Pick any topic you want, and read the comments sections of the news sites.

You'll generally find the comments driven by an isolated, intolerant minority who find no other outlet for their unpopular views. They can say things on-line that would have them shunned from decent company, usually hiding behind pseudonyms so they don't risk outing themselves to the people they know in real life.

If you look at scientifically-conducted polls, or election results, Seattle's population is highly supportive of bicycle transportation. Indeed, that's one of the reasons the anti-cyclists have been driven to the news comments, they've failed to gain support out in the real world, and often claim that's the work of some vast liberal conspiracy.
Well said,
Those who are selfishly unwilling to concede anything that doesn't provide them any direct benefit or gain, and those who selfishly seek to deny others anything they don't approve of share the common ground of intolerance for others, and feed off each other. On top of that they both set the impossible standard of if you're not with me you're against me, as if everything they don't like is being done to them personally.

Everybody deserves a voice, but that doesn't entitle anybody to shout down the rest.
Old 12-28-14, 01:35 PM
kickstart

I will find it very sad if cycling, which is considered a normal (and even preferred) means of transport in many other parts of the world, is viewed as "one of the counter culture affectations" in this country.
The problem is as a minority that doesn't represent the norm, we are unfortunately vulnerable to being represented by the negative behavior and attitudes of a few.
Old 12-28-14, 01:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Cycling is a counter culture affectation only of smug, obnoxious, self righteous, characters who have adopted bicycling as their own badge of Political Correctness, as well as proof of moral superiority over alleged fat, lazy and/or Politically Incorrect "Car Heads" whom they hold in contempt.
Old 12-28-14, 02:14 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
If you look at scientifically-conducted polls, or election results, Seattle's population is highly supportive of bicycle transportation.
Cough...bertha...cough.
Old 12-28-14, 02:19 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
...as well as proof of moral superiority over alleged fat, lazy and/or Politically Incorrect "Car Heads" whom they hold in contempt.
some of my best friends drive...
also: .
Old 12-28-14, 02:20 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
...we are unfortunately vulnerable to being represented by the negative behavior and attitudes of a few.
See my signature.
Old 12-28-14, 03:28 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Cycling is a counter culture affectation only of smug, obnoxious, self righteous, characters who have adopted bicycling as their own badge of Political Correctness, as well as proof of moral superiority over alleged fat, lazy and/or Politically Incorrect "Car Heads" whom they hold in contempt.
Hmmm... maybe it's not too bad to be a cyclist, after all, except that I don't care about being politically correct.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-28-14, 03:31 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Cough...bertha...cough.
LOL! The tunnel project is a huge mess, if you ask me. I initially supported it. I should have known better.

Old 12-28-14, 03:51 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LOL! The tunnel project is a huge mess, if you ask me. I initially supported it. I should have known better.
billions for a zombie tunnel (that was voted down twice) while active transport gets **** all.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 12-28-14 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Please don't defeat the forum censor :-)
Old 12-28-14, 08:01 PM
kickstart

billions for a zombie tunnel (that was voted down twice) while active transport gets **** all.
That's not exactly correct.............

New Alaskan Way trail provides safer route south of downtown | Seattle Bike Blog

and the space vacated by the viaduct will likely become a greenway and MUT.
Old 12-28-14, 08:05 PM
kickstart

Its starting to seem more like a bottomless pit.........but I'm still hoping optimistically it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 12-28-14, 08:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Hmmm... maybe it's not too bad to be a cyclist, after all, except that I don't care about being politically correct.
Of course it is good to be a cyclist, if that is what the cyclist enjoys. Not so to be a self righteous silly fellow, even if also a cyclist, even if the cyclist is proud of being a silly fellow and intolerant towards those that don't fit his own profile.
Old 12-29-14, 10:49 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Of course it is good to be a cyclist, if that is what the cyclist enjoys. Not so to be a self righteous silly fellow, even if also a cyclist, even if the cyclist is proud of being a silly fellow and intolerant towards those that don't fit his own profile.
If you find silliness annoying then why on earth do you hang out here, ILTB?
Old 12-29-14, 11:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

If you find silliness annoying then why on earth do you hang out here, ILTB?
Who sez I'm annoyed? You?

Not everyone who posts here is a silly fellow, sometimes there is intelligent commentary, though some posters can be counted on not to comprehend it, or the foolishness of their own emotional and often irrational ranting.
Old 12-29-14, 10:58 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Who sez I'm annoyed? You?

Not everyone who posts here is a silly fellow, sometimes there is intelligent commentary, though some posters can be counted on not to comprehend it, or the foolishness of their own emotional and often irrational ranting.
The ILTB doth protest too much, methinks.