Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Police officer doesn't like bicycles.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Police officer doesn't like bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 10:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,596 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why would I want to do that, when I used her as an example of ineffective fighting with the police?
I misunderstood your comment, I thought you were holding her up as an effective example to emulate, my mistake. I agree she is not effective at anything positive related to bicycling advocacy or for her own bicycling safety.
Old 01-02-15, 10:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by gregjones
It just looks like it it to me. If you don't think it was close I don't care. Of course, you think everyone else is always wrong. But, I don't care about that either.
Not always wrong, but on this list, quite often subject to doubt and skepticism, especially when guesses (or imagined scenarios or dreams) are expressed as statements of fact and the poster doesn't know or care about the difference.
Old 01-03-15, 03:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not always wrong, but on this list, quite often subject to doubt and skepticism, especially when guesses (or imagined scenarios or dreams) are expressed as statements of fact and the poster doesn't know or care about the difference.
Are you calling somebody a liar? If so, just say it in plain English instead of all those fancy weasel words.

I do agree that it's difficult to tell much from the video, but I do believe that the OP was obviously there, and could tell the distance of the car.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-03-15, 12:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Roody
Are you calling somebody a liar? If so, just say it in plain English instead of all those fancy weasel words.

I do agree that it's difficult to tell much from the video, but I do believe that the OP was obviously there, and could tell the distance of the car.
If you prefer that word as the proper term for someone who routinely posts guesswork and wishful thinking as if it were "The Truth" or as statements of fact, that is your choice.

Perhaps the OP might clarify, and actually state what he estimates that lateral passing distance was in the so-called incident.
Old 01-03-15, 06:44 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you prefer that word as the proper term for someone who routinely posts guesswork and wishful thinking as if it were "The Truth" or as statements of fact, that is your choice.

Perhaps the OP might clarify, and actually state what he estimates that lateral passing distance was in the so-called incident.
Watch the video and try to tell me that it was acceptable and/or safe driving. It wasn't. And the crazy thing is, there was absolutely no traffic in the other lane. The driver could've easily changed lanes to pass.
Old 01-03-15, 10:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Isaiahc72
Watch the video and try to tell me that it was acceptable and/or safe driving. It wasn't. And the crazy thing is, there was absolutely no traffic in the other lane. The driver could've easily changed lanes to pass.
It wasn't "acceptable" to you because you said so. What does unacceptable driving in your opinion convert into in lateral distance while being passed? The video does not provide the answer.
Old 01-04-15, 02:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

It wasn't "acceptable" to you because you said so. What does unacceptable driving in your opinion convert into in lateral distance while being passed? The video does not provide the answer.
I can't tell from the video. In some jurisdictions, the distance is exact, usually 3 or 4 feet. Other places the law reads something vague like "reasonable safe passing distance". And of course in some jurisdictions there's no mention of passing distance at all.

(I'm sure you already know this, but there may be some other people here who are unaware.)

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 01-04-15 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 02:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

It's pretty obvious that this was bad driving and unnecessarily unsafe. But to prove a case in court, you need to provide a good estimate of the actual distance in feet. I don't think the video gives a real definitive idea of the actual distance.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-04-15, 07:35 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
And cyclists blow through red lights...

In many jurisdictions the police have to actually witness the event to even consider pressing charges, plus you have to be able to positively ID the driver. I have reported having things throw at me from passing cars in the past, big whoop, nothing done.

As much as I hate to recommend it you basically have two choices; learn to ride vehicularly aka "take the lane" or find a less traveled route. There are ******** everywhere some drive cars, some ride bikes, some use mass transit and some are pedestrian. Live with it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-04-15, 08:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked 6,840 Times in 3,563 Posts
Where's the love?
Old 01-04-15, 10:47 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
There are ******** everywhere some drive cars, some ride bikes, some use mass transit and some are pedestrian.
Some even post on internet forums.
Old 01-04-15, 12:09 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
Georgia 94. Riding my bike with friend on highway. Pickup truck passes and shoots a ***. Wave down state trooper. Get scolded for riding bikes. true story

Last edited by Mark Stone; 01-04-15 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Please do not defeat the forum's censor :-)
Old 01-05-15, 11:16 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Georgia 94. Riding my bike with friend on highway. Pickup truck passes and shoots a ***. Wave down state trooper. Get scolded for riding bikes. true story
Shoots a what? A ***?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-15, 11:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Shoots a what? A ***?
omg...why would they censor that word? (Synonym for a firearm) **** like this really makes me wonder why I waste time on this candyass forum! They let these trolls spout all kinds of hateful things, then censor a simple English word...

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-15, 11:36 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In most states, law requires passing vehicles to move into the next lane (not straddle the yellow line). A competent LEO seeing this would have issued a citation for unsafe passing. Does that help make it less "acceptable"?
Old 01-05-15, 11:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
omg...why would they censor that word? (Synonym for a firearm) **** like this really makes me wonder why I waste time on this candyass forum! They let these trolls spout all kinds of hateful things, then censor a simple English word...
If you ventured out of LCF more, you'd know why.

And "they" don't "let these trolls spout all kinds of hateful things" ... "they" are pretty good about keeping the forums clear of "hateful things".
Old 01-06-15, 09:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Chief
In most states, law requires passing vehicles to move into the next lane (not straddle the yellow line). A competent LEO seeing this would have issued a citation for unsafe passing. Does that help make it less "acceptable"?
You don't ride a bicycle much do you? The law might prohibit spitting in public too or at least some might find such behavior an unacceptable act but don't hold your breath waithing for enforcement.

Since you are a "Chief" I suppose you will post that in your jurisdiction tickets are issued to motorists who "straddle the yellow line" when passing a bicyclist and I will be willing to bet that it is the only jurisdiction ever so foolish and counterproductive to highway safety.
Old 01-06-15, 09:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Machka
If you ventured out of LCF more, you'd know why.

And "they" don't "let these trolls spout all kinds of hateful things" ... "they" are pretty good about keeping the forums clear of "hateful things".
All depends on how someone defines "hateful."

Last edited by CbadRider; 01-06-15 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
Old 01-06-15, 09:47 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't ride a bicycle much do you? The law might prohibit spitting in public too or at least some might find such behavior an unacceptable act but don't hold your breath waithing for enforcement.

Since you are a "Chief" I suppose you will post that in your jurisdiction tickets are issued to motorists who "straddle the yellow line" when passing a bicyclist and I will be willing to bet that it is the only jurisdiction ever so foolish and counterproductive to highway safety.

I ride a bike plenty ... in all sorts of road types and traffic conditions. And when I am "buzzed" like that, the motorist gets reported to 911 (if I can read the plate). I'm not foolish enough to think widespread enforcement is ever going to happen for the benefit of cyclists; we will always have a certain amount of low-level "persecution" from motorists. Doesn't mean it's acceptable or not worthy of enforcement by LEOs.
My only point was that the OP had video of a ticket-able offense by a motorist; in other words, un-acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law (and 9 of the 10 motorists following/witnessing the pass)
Try this out in your mind... replace the cyclist in the video with a slow moving Hell's Angel on a Harley, and then tell me the outcome would be the same... Or imagine a motorcycle LEO witnessing that pass.

And no, I'm not taking the bait about my user name. Sorry.
Old 01-06-15, 11:25 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a strong dislike for most cops for their opinioned based policing and always trying to avoid the dreaded “paperwork”. I have run into situations like this before and the second they ask you a personal question like “do you own a car” you need to tread carefully. The correct response would have been my transportation means has no bearing on the crime that was committed against me. If he continues to push the personal topic and try and discourage you from filing a report remind him who he “protects and serves” and simply ask for his / her superior politely. I have had to do this a few times in my life to get them to put the donut down and fill out the paperwork.
Old 01-06-15, 12:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by LGHT
I have a strong dislike for most cops...
Really?
Old 01-06-15, 12:57 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
I have a strong dislike for most cops . . . .
Why? You don't know "most cops". Cops are people - some good at their job, some not so good, just like the rest of us human beings. Maybe you don't like one or two of them that you've encountered, but to lump "most" cops together in this type of statement cannot possibly be valid. Unless, of course, you've met and gotten to know "most" cops.
Old 01-06-15, 01:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
there are other ways to report something which takes any discretion out of any particular officer's hands.
Old 01-06-15, 01:28 PM
SevenSpokes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, since the officer was unresponsive, you can take this a few different ways.

1. Pick up the phone, call the department, ask to speak to a supervisor/chief officer, and politely explain the situation.

2. Pick up the phone, call the local news station, and politely explain the situation.

Odds are, if either works out, you'll get some kind of response from the department. :-D
Old 01-06-15, 02:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
there are other ways to report something which takes any discretion out of any particular officer's hands.
Ya mean fabricate a better story?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.