Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

old dude considering a switch to recumbent ....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

old dude considering a switch to recumbent ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 06:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Yes, there's a yo-yo effect that gets worse as the hills get bigger. For the small to medium hills in Michigan, I take advantage of the speed profile being different, and I end up waiting for them not the other way around. The trick is to hit the bottom of the hill going faster. The bent carries its speed more up the first half of the hill. They start closing the gap for the second half of the climb but it's a losing game.

Where the intervals occur is if I stay with them going into a hill. They immediately clatter down ("immediately" being relative -- I'm not losing that much speed,) and I have to brake to stay in the group. Then they all stand and dance up the hill, leaving me to sprint after them. It's a double-whammy. It's much easier for me to drop them early and let them chase me (see above.) Plus, letting them chase me makes them think I'm Superman(tm) when in fact I'm doing it because it's easier.
Old 01-14-15, 07:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another possibility if you dont want to go headlong into bents is a crank forward type that Rans make.
Old 01-14-15, 06:03 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could also invest in electric assist for hills.
Old 01-27-15, 01:55 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Recumbents are very comfortable, which means you are apt to ride it more often and for longer periods. I still ride both uprights and 'bents, but have been a 'bent "missionary" for nearly 20 years. I have only had a recumbent trike for a year, and am still getting used to it, but it is unquestionably a lot of fun to ride.

Unfortunately, recumbents are expensive, as others have pointed out. If you are looking for a used 'bent, I recommend a long wheel base. They are easier to get used to riding, and with a lower center of gravity, I believe you are less prone to falling over when starting or stopping.
Old 01-31-15, 06:44 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Try them out. LWB are "easier" to ride, but once you are able to ride a bent they are less maneuverable and handle slower. There are plenty of SWB with low CG. It took me about 100 miles around town to get comfortable on my SWB. I still ride my DF a lot more than the bent.
Different people have different preferences. I can ride my DF for 12 hours without unusual pain or saddle sores, and am fine the next day.
If you do get a 'bent, be sure to buy some shirts and a jacket that don't have pockets (and especially zippers or snaps!) on the back. Guess how I know that?
Old 02-01-15, 06:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
If you do get a 'bent, be sure to buy some shirts and a jacket that don't have pockets (and especially zippers or snaps!) on the back. Guess how I know that?
Zippers or snaps on the back?
Old 02-01-15, 06:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
[QUOTE=JanMM;17446973]
Originally Posted by crazyb

One qualitative data point.
YES!

Every single poster has their own set of backgrounds and experiences. Every single one tells part of the story. It's good to relate yours. It's not-so-good to attack other's.
Old 02-01-15, 08:29 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I apologize for my ignorance, but could someone kindly explain DF?
thank you.
Old 02-01-15, 08:41 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 807 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I apologize for my ignorance, but could someone kindly explain DF?
thank you.
Diamond Frame = road bike
Old 02-01-15, 09:41 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Zippers or snaps on the back?
Yes. My cycling jacket has a back pocket with a zipper. I wore it the first time I took my 'bent out in cold weather; after about 20 miles it really started digging into my back, to the point where I decided to be cold rather than uncomfortable.