Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Rookie Needs Gear Advice - Racks and Panniers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 10:49 PM
RollingStone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have a Specialized Crosstrail with a suspension fork, disc brakes, and 700cc tires that I regularly use for joy/exercise rides. I've recently committed to commuting, but am finding that my laptop bag is extremely inconvenient slung over my shoulder. I need to transport a laptop bag filled to the brim due to the client service nature of my job (basically I work in my client's conference rooms and need to pack everything I need in and out everyday). My main client is only about a 6 miles roundtrip from my residence in the often wet PacNW, but it should be manageable.

I have been researching all day and decided that I think I want to mount one or two rear panniers. Preferably ones that I could simply drop my current laptop bag in (has a great protective pocket for my laptop), and then take out before heading up the elevator for the daily grind. Looking for basic panniers with very solid and durable rack and mounting system or any other suggestions advice. Thank you in advance for your input!
Old 01-15-15, 10:56 PM
AlTheKiller

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ortlieb does good waterproof stuff, with nifty quick release type features if you want. Roll top panniers will generally be seen as the most water proof type. Go to your local bike shop and look around, bring your laptop bag with you and test the fit.
Old 01-16-15, 03:33 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a myriad of options out there to choose from. Some people swear by the more expensive stuff like Tubus racks and whatever the latest expensive panniers are, but most people will tell you that the cheap stuff like the Blackburn TRX will do you just fine. I used a megaload rack and Axiom panniers for a few years. Never had issues.

Ever thought of using a backpack? I have a small-ish Marmot daypack and I'm able to get in a full change of clothes including shoes, breakfast & lunch, 1L of coffee, front headlight, Camelbak bladded when it's hot, and the odd grocery store item or 24oz can of Genesee Cream Ale or two on the way home. I keep my lock & cable on the rack at work and leave frequently used items in a locker room. This way, I don't have anything unload and can carry it on my back efficiently. It's a lighter setup overall and I don't have to put as much effort into picking my bike up.

If you go the way of rack and panniers, look into using leather washers on the eyelets to save your paint. And don't forget the fenders!
Old 01-16-15, 08:25 PM
GAPavedTrailRdr

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2013 Diamondback Insight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I shopped for about a month among panniers and finally settled on a Topeak rear basket. I bought the Topeak rack because I like the locking mechanism and slide release. I considered the Topeak MTX trunk bag, but decided it was too small for my 17" laptop. Plus, I also take my bike up to the store and would like to be able to bring home a couple of groceries. I also have a fairly nice backpack for my laptop that makes security easier at the airport and didn't want to give that up. I liked the basket because 1) it was about half the price, and 2) it was more versatile for carrying groceries or a laptop.

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - MTX Basket Rear

Before that, though, I had seriously considered the MTX Office bag:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - MTX Office Bag

Good luck!
GaPavedTrailRdr
Old 01-18-15, 05:05 PM
RollingStone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you for the input! There are so many options, it's a little overwhelming and makes a back pack even more appealing haha! I think I do wanna take a crack at a system with nothing on my back....however, it is the same amount of Lbs. you gotta get up the hill regardless and quick mounting and exiting is pretty key.

I think I'm going with the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP with the explorer rack. I should be able to fit my laptop bag in one of the fold out panniers and then carry the trunk bag with me as basically a lunch bag everyday, and it appears to slide on and off quickly in a pretty compact package.

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-15, 05:19 PM
jetta_mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second Ortieb. I have a pair of the Back Roller City bags. I take two when I need to haul in my gear for the week and one the rest of the days. Panniers are so much nicer that riding with a bag on your back.
Old 01-18-15, 06:04 PM
bloomrae

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale M200Se , 1996 Trek 930, 2013 Trek 1.2, 2015 Trek 520 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Ortlieb panniers (and handlebar bag) Totally Waterproof! I've been using mine daily for almost two years with no problems and nothing ever got wet.
Once in a while if I feel like taking the road bike to work I wear a backpack. While I enjoy the lighter and faster bike, I hate the backpack.
Old 01-18-15, 06:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
Ortlieb does good waterproof stuff, with nifty quick release type features if you want. Roll top panniers will generally be seen as the most water proof type. Go to your local bike shop and look around, bring your laptop bag with you and test the fit.

Originally Posted by jetta_mike
I second Ortieb. I have a pair of the Back Roller City bags. I take two when I need to haul in my gear for the week and one the rest of the days. Panniers are so much nicer that riding with a bag on your back.

Originally Posted by bloomrae
I love my Ortlieb panniers (and handlebar bag) Totally Waterproof! I've been using mine daily for almost two years with no problems and nothing ever got wet…
I recently posted to this Commuting Forum thread, ”Easy on & off commuter bag”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I recently bought an Orttlieb (City) single pannier for $80, and it totally fits the bill. It literally can be just pulled off with a carrying handle yet is well-affixed to my ordinary bike rack. It’s waterproof and voluminous, and even can be left open at the top for protruding items. The clasps are sturdy and quick to open and close.

The only downside, which is not a problem for me, it has no individual pockets or compartments, but I just compartmentalize small things in my pocket, and tools in a small bag put into the pannier. It’s great for bulky items.

Note also the bright reflective triangle, present on both ends of the bag for either left or right side mounting of the pannier.

Originally Posted by bloomrae
Once in a while if I feel like taking the road bike to work I wear a backpack. While I enjoy the lighter and faster bike, I hate the backpack.

I commute 14 miles one way with drop bars, and carbon fiber bike...makes me crave the ride [even with the backpack].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pannier 001.jpg (93.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
Pannier.jpg (88.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-18-15, 09:58 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I recently posted to this Commuting Forum thread, ”Easy on & off commuter bag”:
The only time I carry a backpack is transporting a laptop, and I wouldn't want to do that every day either so I think OP has a good question.

I don't think I'd use that for a laptop Jim, I'd want something more rigid on the bike side, and secure -- some kind of external strap perhaps.
Old 01-18-15, 10:10 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
There are even some options out there for rack-mounted laptop bags/briefcases, like this one: Bontrager: Town Briefcase (Model #11548)

In general, I'll always recommend going the rack-and-bag route over using messenger bags or backpacks. I find that it's far more comfortable and convenient to let the bike carry the weight for you (not to mention avoiding "sweaty back syndrome").
Old 01-18-15, 10:10 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 357 Times in 194 Posts
I have a Topeak Explorer rack and the MTX Trunkbag EXP, with the folding out panniers. It's great, BUT I would never put a laptop in the panniers. I haven't tested it, but IMO I don't think they could support a ton of weight. It's an awesome setup for bringing clothes and supplies and shoes and everything you need to dress and wash, etc. but I wouldn't put a laptop in it. Unless maybe it was like a macbook air or something and it weighed less than my pair of shoes.

I commute with this from seattle sports, the rain rider pannier: Robot Check
i've ridden it in the rain and it's been great. I can fit all my work clothes and a pair of shoes in it. it might be a tight fit for all that AND a laptop, but you'd have to see. hard to say.

Oh, and I don't use the Topeka rack anymore either, I use a Blackburn slimline XTR1 or something I can't remember the name. It doesn't have room up top for a trunk bag, only panniers on the side. it makes me super aero, dude!
Old 01-19-15, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
+ in the Ortlieb line up is the Office Bag ORTLIEB Produkt-Details
ORTLIEB Produkt-Details
ORTLIEB Produkt-Details

& the Down town ORTLIEB Produkt-Details
ORTLIEB Produkt-Details

Rectangular like the Lap Top.
They are mounted at an Angle so you wont kick them pedaling , but look Briefcase like off the bike to make a good Professional 1st Impression for thoseClients.

I need to transport a laptop bag filled to the brim due to the client service nature of my job
(basically I work in my client's conference rooms and need to pack everything I need in and out everyday).
Old 01-19-15, 09:55 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone always totes that ortlieb is the best yada yada yada. If you live in a place where you're bags are going to get wet often, sure, ortlieb is good. They also have a good connection system. However, I find them inconvenient. The majority of them have no external pockets and are really only one large pocket. I've been looking into Arkels recently. Their "Basic" series are reasonably priced and offer a bit more than the typical ortlieb. Arkel has some more expensive cycling backpacks that are also panniers, which are interesting as well. Take a look. They also have a bomb proof connection system.

Just letting you know there are other options.
Old 01-19-15, 10:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Just Know a Sewn bag cannot be Waterproof .. but welded seam Bags are made in China for various brands too ..

Ortlieb has small parts replacements available .. Arkel is a Canadien .
Old 01-19-15, 12:15 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have MEC-brand waterproof panniers, but for commuting I use a backpack with a rain cover. It's just slight personal preference, that's it. There's pros/cons to each, but I think it boils down to personal preference.
I like the "no-wind-resistance" of the backpack, and I don't really like walking around with panniers.