Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nail Polish on Matte Finish?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 10:20 AM
isuckatbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. Had a quick question. I was wondering, is it okay to use nail polish on a matte finish bike?

The top portion of my fork has paint chips. Saw this was a common problem with a few cannondale bbq bikes.

With the weather getting warmer, I'm getting my bike prepped and ready to go. Thought this would be a great time to just get this issue remedied.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether its okay to the bikes finish to use nail polish. I know glossy finishes have no problem with nail polish but wanted to make sure there weren't any abrasive ingredients that might harm the finish.

What I had in mind was to use black to cover the chipped spots and then use a nail polish clear coat. Then I thought, wouldn't nail polish clear coat remove the nail polish? I ask because I remember I used to use nail polish clear coat (or was it nail polish veneer) to remove paint.

Below is a photo for reference on what I mean.
Old 02-02-15, 11:04 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
you could also get some matte finish touch up paint.
Old 02-02-15, 11:07 AM
06SpiceRed
Powered by Di2

Bikes: Di2 this and Di2 that

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What he said ^^

They make a matte clear nail polish. I had to use it for frame touch up around the fork as well on one of my frames. If you are are keen on doing an overall preventative coating, I would just pick up a spray can of automotive matte clear and evenly spray the whole fork.
Old 02-02-15, 11:08 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the matte touch-up paint. You don't what shiny black spots.

You didn't use clear coat to remove anything..that was a different product.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 02-02-15, 11:15 AM
isuckatbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thoughts on this?

Birchwood Casey Flat Black Touchup Paint Pen for iPhone Repair Anodized Aluminum | eBay

And to be clear, do I still need to buy a clear coat after applying the above? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction
Old 02-02-15, 11:19 AM
06SpiceRed
Powered by Di2

Bikes: Di2 this and Di2 that

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isuckatbiking
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thoughts on this?

Birchwood Casey Flat Black Touchup Paint Pen for iPhone Repair Anodized Aluminum | eBay

And to be clear, do I still need to buy a clear coat after applying the above? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction
Are the chips white? What you might be able to get away with if its tiny chips is filling them in with a black sharpie then using the matte clear polish over it. It can really go a couple ways, if use just the matte clear paint, it can rechip depending on how thick you apply it. If its light, then I would just add a layer of matte clear over the matte paint to add a little barrier so to speak.

Also depending on where you are, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or and Model/Hobby store should have what you are looking for for next to nothing. This way you might not need to wait to order it online and you can see in person what it looks like.

Last edited by 06SpiceRed; 02-02-15 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-02-15, 11:34 AM
isuckatbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SpiceRed
Are the chips white? What you might be able to get away with if its tiny chips is filling them in with a black sharpie then using the matte clear polish over it. It can really go a couple ways, if use just the matte clear paint, it can rechip depending on how thick you apply it. If its light, then I would just add a layer of matte clear over the matte paint to add a little barrier so to speak.

Also depending on where you are, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or and Model/Hobby store should have what you are looking for for next to nothing. This way you might not need to wait to order it online and you can see in person what it looks like.
Yeah, unfortunately the chips are white. I was actually thinking about going the sharpie route but figured I spent a good amount of money on the bike that I shouldn't cheap out now.

The only thing I'm puzzled about is, if I purchase a matte touch up pen/brush (or whatever) would a matte clear coat still be required? Do they sell the matte clear coat in a pen form as well?

Will be checking out a hobby store + michaels when I get a chance.
Old 02-02-15, 11:40 AM
06SpiceRed