Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2015 Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 11:44 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Cal Aggie crit, cat 4
Flat oval with a sharp left-right on one end followed by a couple more gradual turns. Tailwind finish, headwind back side.

60 or 70 starters, including several juniors who took off frantically at the whistle. I weaved through a few seconds of chaos and took off after them. None of them were going anywhere so I just went past them. A lap later I was joined by one guy and we traded pulls for the next 45 minutes, building the gap to almost 50 seconds. I let him pull as slow as he liked last lap and waited for the sprint (he seemed like the type who would chase me down in anything over 20 seconds). Shifted early and quietly, drifted a bike length back, and slingshotted past and won.

Now I have an extra beer glass, a new tire, new socks, and an iPhone case but no iProducts. Oh and most importantly 7 more points.
Man, classy win! With 60 or 70 starters that was undoubtedly a strong field too.
Old 02-01-15, 12:10 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Cal Aggie Crit, p/1/2/3 - 4th out of 70+

This is the first real race of the norcal season, everyone comes out ready for action. Loved it! Felt comfortable the whole time, never in trouble.

Of course tons of surging/shuffling/yelling/etc; the usual. And something about the course makes it even more sketchy.. maybe also the early season factor. Only almost crashed about a million times, but so it goes. The only crash I know about in the race was in the first 30 seconds, somehow some people went down wtf. Luckily I only heard it.

Anyway we had a few guys in this race, including the fudgemeister. I was working for a strong cat 2 we have that's been doing well lately. Chased a lot, sat on a few breaks, and generally stayed up front to make the technical turns easier.

Omg those turns are so smooth if you were in the top 15 or so, a nightmare anywhere past that..

Last few laps were chaos, much surge. Coming out of the last few turns about 10th wheel, and the winner did my dream attack for this course, going from about 1k out.. Team mate and I got on the chasing train, came out of the last corner maybe 6th wheel. Couldn't come around him at the end, but it worked out decently.

my race videos
Old 02-01-15, 07:21 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Cal Aggie Crit, p/1/2/3 - 4th out of 70+

This is the first real race of the norcal season, everyone comes out ready for action. Loved it! Felt comfortable the whole time, never in trouble.

Of course tons of surging/shuffling/yelling/etc; the usual. And something about the course makes it even more sketchy.. maybe also the early season factor. Only almost crashed about a million times, but so it goes. The only crash I know about in the race was in the first 30 seconds, somehow some people went down wtf. Luckily I only heard it.

Anyway we had a few guys in this race, including the fudgemeister. I was working for a strong cat 2 we have that's been doing well lately. Chased a lot, sat on a few breaks, and generally stayed up front to make the technical turns easier.

Omg those turns are so smooth if you were in the top 15 or so, a nightmare anywhere past that..

Last few laps were chaos, much surge. Coming out of the last few turns about 10th wheel, and the winner did my dream attack for this course, going from about 1k out.. Team mate and I got on the chasing train, came out of the last corner maybe 6th wheel. Couldn't come around him at the end, but it worked out decently.
Very nicel! Congrats!! :-)
Old 02-01-15, 07:32 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job guys.
Old 02-01-15, 09:12 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Crap first races of the season...crap. Same course as Aaron.

E3, Pack finish. Took some time to get the legs going, but once they did all was good. positioned poorly for the sprint and wasn't willing to take the risks to move up.

P123. DNP. Writing this while watching the race (and Fudgy and Matt). Crash about 300m into the race...wtf?! I didn't go down but there was some bike contact and I was able to join a small group chasing back to the main field. The speed wasn't too much, but I was hurting bad and fell off a couple laps later. Pulled out and was talking to a teammate who pointed out my brakes were tweaked. Turns out the earlier contact slammed my brakes enough to push the calipers into the wheel making it a bit tough to pedal. Probably should have pulled out for the free lap right when it happened to check everything over like the others, but instinct was to chase. Oh well....
Congrats @aaronmcd - that's a great result.

I raced 35+ and p123. 35+ I participated and had some chances. Some few-lap breaks with Justin Rossi and Dan Bryant, but nothing stuck. Last lap I felt great until a Raleys guy rode sideways into the pack in the chicane and cut everyone out of the top 15 entirely out of the race. I was too far back to have won, but I would have liked to try and place top 10. Still a decent race. Definitely am not overmatched by those guys in any way.

p123 - rode the stuggle bus the entire race. Tired from the first race and the punchier turns combined with my inability to get off the back half of the pack = washing machine of stop/sprint/stop/sprint. Good workout I guess, and I get a bronze little ribbon for participation thanks to @mattm - I should have known it was going to hurt when I skidded to a stop 20 seconds into the race to avoid the first crash. Sprinted back on but burned 50% of any remaining matches I had doing so.

Once again, for anyone thinking of racing but waiting for "fitness", don't bother. 80% fitness and a lot of ******' practice is worth more than 100% fitness any day.
Old 02-01-15, 02:31 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Winning streak: 2

Last Early Bird Crit, only 14 guys. Practiced making better attacks and sitting up when it wasn't happening. For a while no one would come with me, so one time I took advantage of a small gap between us and 2 guys off the front - snuck up in front of the 2 and upped the pace quickly yet gradually. Got a gap and 3 guys just like I wanted but they were definitely the wrong guys. Sat up.

5 to go I attack, and 1 of 4 Pen Velo guys is following me. Unfortunately I dropped him waaay too fast, but a second Pen Velo guy came up to take his place. This guy wasn't strong enough to do much work, BUT he did have 3 guys blocking for him and he also provided some relief every now and then. 3 laps later, just as I was considering dropping him he flatted out. Rode the last 2 laps solo and finished ~30" ahead of the others.
Old 02-01-15, 03:15 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Great work @mattm!

Last Early Bird Crit, only 14 guys. Practiced making better attacks and sitting up when it wasn't happening. For a while no one would come with me, so one time I took advantage of a small gap between us and 2 guys off the front - snuck up in front of the 2 and upped the pace quickly yet gradually. Got a gap and 3 guys just like I wanted but they were definitely the wrong guys. Sat up.

5 to go I attack, and 1 of 4 Pen Velo guys is following me. Unfortunately I dropped him waaay too fast, but a second Pen Velo guy came up to take his place. This guy wasn't strong enough to do much work, BUT he did have 3 guys blocking for him and he also provided some relief every now and then. 3 laps later, just as I was considering dropping him he flatted out. Rode the last 2 laps solo and finished ~30" ahead of the others.
Awesome job, do you get points for those?

Originally Posted by Ygduf
Congrats @aaronmcd - that's a great result.

I raced 35+ and p123. 35+ I participated and had some chances. Some few-lap breaks with Justin Rossi and Dan Bryant, but nothing stuck. Last lap I felt great until a Raleys guy rode sideways into the pack in the chicane and cut everyone out of the top 15 entirely out of the race. I was too far back to have won, but I would have liked to try and place top 10. Still a decent race. Definitely am not overmatched by those guys in any way.

p123 - rode the stuggle bus the entire race. Tired from the first race and the punchier turns combined with my inability to get off the back half of the pack = washing machine of stop/sprint/stop/sprint. Good workout I guess, and I get a bronze little ribbon for participation thanks to @mattm - I should have known it was going to hurt when I skidded to a stop 20 seconds into the race to avoid the first crash. Sprinted back on but burned 50% of any remaining matches I had doing so.

Once again, for anyone thinking of racing but waiting for "fitness", don't bother. 80% fitness and a lot of ******' practice is worth more than 100% fitness any day.

It pains me to see you finally hitting a wall, but those are two hard races and it doesn't sound like things went your way. I don't have a ton of experience racing, but can second the best way to get in form / ready for racing is to race.
Old 02-01-15, 03:18 PM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@aaronmcd you are on fire! Congrat!

Also matt great race! Love the 1k attack when the course permits it, but it certainly can throw off the sprint, good work
Old 02-01-15, 04:42 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@aaronmcd: Nice!!!!
Old 02-01-15, 04:51 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oracle Road Race Masters 4/5: Very foggy in the desert this morning!

We had 25 starters with a mix of 35+ and 45+. Two laps with the selection being the 8 mile climb. First time up the climb, I am near the front and when we crest I turn around and see that there are only 6 of us. We just rode everyone else off our wheels. Second time on the climb, we start to split up and I am cramping (I'll blame leftover flu stuff). With a few hundred meters to go, a pack from a different race swarms me and I see one of my race mates has jumped in that group. He ends up taking second. I decided to protest as that move was against the rules but for whatever reason, I see that I have been placed third.
I'll take it.
Old 02-01-15, 07:49 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Awesome job, do you get points for those?
No points for the Early Bird crits, unfortunately, as I've been doing quite well in them. But, I've also been doing well in the winter road series with guys above (and below) my league, and the 2 "real" races I've completed this year. So I'm quite optimistic about finally upgrading, although I'm likely marked by now.
My teammate wants me to upgrade next weekend in order to help him in 2/3 races to get his cat 1 upgrade, and to go for GC upgrade points in the early season stage races. So it's kinda nice to have someone believing I could contribute in a cat 2 race.
Old 02-01-15, 07:50 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by robabeatle
Oracle Road Race Masters 4/5: Very foggy in the desert this morning!

We had 25 starters with a mix of 35+ and 45+. Two laps with the selection being the 8 mile climb. First time up the climb, I am near the front and when we crest I turn around and see that there are only 6 of us. We just rode everyone else off our wheels. Second time on the climb, we start to split up and I am cramping (I'll blame leftover flu stuff). With a few hundred meters to go, a pack from a different race swarms me and I see one of my race mates has jumped in that group. He ends up taking second. I decided to protest as that move was against the rules but for whatever reason, I see that I have been placed third.
I'll take it.
3rd is great, I'd be more than satisfied with 3rd in a race with an 8 mile climb!
Old 02-01-15, 08:05 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Talk about burying the lede. Nice work, I think you're going to have a great season!
I had to look that up, but yeah it was intentional. I wanted to see who reads these things haha! Looking forward to the season, and all the early morning interval sessions seem to be the key.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Aaron "Drop the Field" MCD. Great racing and I liked the way you used the juniors to disguise your plan. And even better yet, you minimized your risk by turning the 70 man race into a match sprint.
There was a crash near the front of the field last lap. Glad to have missed out on that! There were many complaints about the way the juniors took the turns.

Originally Posted by hack
Way to kill it out there @aaronmcd . Looked like you and your break buddy were working well together.
We were. He was super strong, and honestly he did more work than I did, but I guess that's exactly the way I want it! I was lucky to have him there.
Old 02-01-15, 08:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
It pains me to see you finally hitting a wall, but those are two hard races and it doesn't sound like things went your way. I don't have a ton of experience racing, but can second the best way to get in form / ready for racing is to race.

I'm not really hitting a wall, I just did a race that doesn't suit me and I posted about losing. If anyone doesn't think there's way more losing in racing than winning, they're mistaken!

I haven't been a 2 for a year yet even. If I can't get to 1 in another year I'll just downgrade to 3 and be a bf legend.
Old 02-01-15, 08:42 PM
nokia8860

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Early Bird Crits #5 M30+5 ~39 riders
Finished top 15ish (I think)

Legs were ok after yesterday's race. Headwinds after turn 1. Before we started one of the mentors suggested that since this is the last race of the series that we all try something different. So that's what I did. At the 2nd lap I went solo hoping to pick up a few people and did. We tried but it didn't last.

Other times if I saw a group out front, I would bridge and made it but learned I shouldn't do that from mid pack because by the time I got there I was tired. 2nd to last I tried again to get a break going, nothing.

Sprinted to the finish just because. After the session one of the mentors noticed that the group kept pushing faster and wanted to know who was pushing the group. They looked backed at me and said, "Pink bike."

Had a blast thats for certain.
Old 02-01-15, 09:36 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I'm not really hitting a wall, I just did a race that doesn't suit me and I posted about losing. If anyone doesn't think there's way more losing in racing than winning, they're mistaken!

I haven't been a 2 for a year yet even. If I can't get to 1 in another year I'll just downgrade to 3 and be a bf legend.
Or....you could change your account and be a 1 without the work.
Old 02-02-15, 02:40 AM
dleccord

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how hard is it to be able to hang onto that P123 race? that Bryan guy opened up a nice gap after the S turns...
Old 02-02-15, 12:38 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by dleccord
how hard is it to be able to hang onto that P123 race?
Depends on a million factors.

Only way to find out is give it a shot!

that Bryan guy opened up a nice gap after the S turns...

Indeed he did. We came within 15m or so of him but he timed it just right and held it; a great move.

my race videos
Old 02-02-15, 02:52 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Damn son! I'm very jealous of your start this year...
Old 02-02-15, 03:03 PM
Wesley36

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
Damn son! I'm very jealous your year has started...
FTFY? FTFM, at least
Old 02-02-15, 03:06 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
FTFY? FTFM, at least

Me too..
Old 02-02-15, 03:44 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoyed the reading. Nice racing guys!
Old 02-02-15, 03:46 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sat: Ferndale flat circuit race 50+ = led out teammate to 150 meters to go, he got 2nd place
Sat: Ferndale flat circuit race 35+ = team malfunction, but we had strength
Sun: Ferndale hilly road race 50+ = I won from two man break; easy speasy

first two weekends have been good for my new team
2 x 1st
2x 2nd

Sorry my northerners are not enjoying those trainers!
Old 02-02-15, 03:52 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by YMCA
Sat: Ferndale flat circuit race 50+ = led out teammate to 150 meters to go, he got 2nd place
Sat: Ferndale flat circuit race 35+ = team malfunction, but we had strength
Sun: Ferndale hilly road race 50+ = I won from two man break; easy speasy

first two weekends have been good for my new team
2 x 1st
2x 2nd

Sorry my northerners are not enjoying those trainers!
Very nice!

my race videos
Old 02-02-15, 05:08 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Originally Posted by Wesley36
FTFY? FTFM, at least
well, yeah, that too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.