Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 01:18 PM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had this one fitted on Friday and got to ride it this weekend. The ride is as awesome as I had hoped that it would be. 18 pounds as pictured.

The build:

Lynskey Peloton M (new off of eBay)
Lynskey Ti seat post
Ti seat clamp
Terry Fly Ti saddle
Easton EC90 SL fork
Cane Creek 110 headset
King Ti bottle holders
Bontrager bars and stem
Schwalbe One tubeless tires
Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset
Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheelset
Shimano Ultegra 6800 pedals

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sm Gear side.jpg (102.3 KB, 1416 views)
Sm other side.jpg (104.0 KB, 501 views)

Last edited by Phlorida; 02-09-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 07:23 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Phlorida
I just had this one fitted on Friday and got to ride it this weekend. The ride is as awesome as I had hoped that it would be. 18 pounds as pictured.

The build:

Lynskey Ti seat post
Ti seat clamp
Terry Fly Ti saddle
Easton EC90 SL fork
Cane Creek 110 headset
King Ti bottle holders
Bontrager bars and stem

Congrats!! Great Bike, but of course I would say that because I also have a Peloton.
Old 02-10-15, 12:20 PM
kansukee

Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
Revised Ghisallo

Damn! That's a good looking bike...
Old 02-10-15, 12:29 PM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice build

I just had this one fitted on Friday and got to ride it this weekend.
The ride is as awesome as I had hoped that it would be. 18 pounds as pictured.

The build:

Lynskey Ti seat post
Ti seat clamp
Terry Fly Ti saddle
Easton EC90 SL fork
Cane Creek 110 headset
King Ti bottle holders
Bontrager bars and stem

Old 02-10-15, 12:47 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some nice bikes in here, especially that Ghisallo.

I've had a Lynskey R230 for about a month now. Got the frame, fork, headset, seatpost and front derailleur all for $1175, which I thought was an outstanding deal. I built it up with some old campy centaur stuff and basic (heavy) old wheels just to see if I liked it before going nuts on it. After about 300 miles, the verdict is in. It's f**king fantastic. It just does everything so well - even with below average kit on it.

I already had a 2013 Roubaix and I stopped riding it completely and could not see any reason to ever use it again. So, I sold it for more than I paid and the money I got from it was just spent on a round of real nice upgrades to the Lynskey. Full Campy Record / Sram Red 11 speed group, Dura Ace wheels, and a couple of other things I'm thinking of. If my math and research is correct, these changes should shave off just shy of 3 pounds and it should be just a phenomenal ride (supreme optimism).

When it's all done, I will come back with some pics. Probably in a week or so.

TTTTitanium!

Last edited by rideBjj; 02-10-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 05:15 PM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Nice build
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Congrats!! Great Bike, but of course I would say that because I also have a Peloton.
Thanks. I did a decent ride on it this morning and the I'm very impressed. I've got a couple of tweaks to discuss with the fitter but overall I feel like I did well.
Old 02-10-15, 05:18 PM
surfbike32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_0280.jpg (101.3 KB, 485 views)
IMG_0281.jpg (102.0 KB, 480 views)
Old 02-10-15, 05:37 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideBjj

I've had a Lynskey R230 for about a month now. Got the frame, fork, headset, seatpost and front derailleur all for $1175, which I thought was an outstanding deal. I built it up with some old campy centaur stuff and basic (heavy) old wheels just to see if I liked it before going nuts on it. After about 300 miles, the verdict is in. It's f**king fantastic. It just does everything so well - even with below average kit on it.

I already had a 2013 Roubaix and I stopped riding it completely and could not see any reason to ever use it again. So, I sold it for more than I paid and the money I got from it was just spent on a round of real nice upgrades to the Lynskey. Full Campy Record / Sram Red 11 speed group, Dura Ace wheels, and a couple of other things I'm thinking of. If my math and research is correct, these changes should shave off just shy of 3 pounds and it should be just a phenomenal ride (supreme optimism).

TTTTitanium!
That's one heck of an endorsement for titanium. Thanks for posting your review of the T230. And yeah, with a bare frame alone retailing for $3K, I'd say you got a pretty sweet deal.

The T230 and roubaix have very different geometries--could it be that you prefer a racing geometry?

Good luck with the build and look forward to reading your updated review and pics.
Old 02-11-15, 01:16 PM
rideBjj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
That's one heck of an endorsement for titanium. Thanks for posting your review of the T230. And yeah, with a bare frame alone retailing for $3K, I'd say you got a pretty sweet deal.

The T230 and roubaix have very different geometries--could it be that you prefer a racing geometry?

Good luck with the build and look forward to reading your updated review and pics.
It's actually more of endorsement for that particular bike (R230, not T230) than for titanium itself. There's plenty of bad Ti bikes out there.

The Roubaix was just uninspiring and felt kind of dead / muted. Could have been the geometry, I dunno. It was very stable at very high speeds over every possible surface, I will give it that.
Old 02-11-15, 04:04 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's actually more of endorsement for that particular bike (R230, not T230) than for titanium itself. There's plenty of bad Ti bikes out there.

The Roubaix was just uninspiring and felt kind of dead / muted. Could have been the geometry, I dunno. It was very stable at very high speeds over every possible surface, I will give it that.
What are some of the lower quality ti brands I should stay away from? I'm not saying I'm buying a ti frame in the next couple of weeks, but just for reference...
Old 02-11-15, 04:15 PM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
What are some of the lower quality ti brands I should stay away from? I'm not saying I'm buying a ti frame in the next couple of weeks, but just for reference...
I'll be interested to see if anyone responds to your question. I've never come across a low quality Ti frame myself. Even the Chinese frames from places like Bikes Direct appear to be well made.
Old 02-11-15, 07:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I'll be interested to see if anyone responds to your question. I've never come across a low quality Ti frame myself. Even the Chinese frames from places like Bikes Direct appear to be well made.
Actually the TI bike from Bikes Direct is made in Taiwan who has a far greater degree of work ethic then China and is more westernized in their economics and manufacturing.

I have mentioned this before but I actually rode a Motobecane TI bike which is why I wanted to buy one, that bike is not poorly made, the welds look just as good as other welds I've seen including my Lynskey and another friends Serotta TI bike which cost a mint I might add. I haven't ridden the Moto since he got a new Enve 2.0 fork like I have on my Lynskey that he just got last week, and I won't be test riding it till spring. All 3 of us (the Moto owner, the Serotta owner, and myself) all felt the Moto, and the Serotta too, didn't have as solid of a feel to the front end handling as mine did and we all think it could be the Enve 2 fork, so when spring comes we'll all ride each others bikes again to see if the Moto with a Enve 2.0 fork will have an improvement. When I say that about the Moto it's not saying that it felt bad, it just wasn't giving us the sort of confidence in high speed maneuvering that the Lynskey gave because the front end felt to soft I guess would be the best way to describe it. If someone doesn't care about razor sharp handling and wants more of a comfortable ride then just leave the Moto fork on, in my friends case...well he just wanted to spend money because he's not racing or doing fast descents down twisting mountain roads.
Old 02-11-15, 10:35 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll try to test ride the roubaix in the next weekend or two. It's outside of my price range by quite a bit (as is just about any ti bike), at least new, but perhaps it can be a reference if I can find one used.
Old 02-12-15, 07:37 PM
tommyblair22
Moultoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's too big. I'm making it work until something in the 55-56cm range comes along.

URL=https://s40.photobucket.com/user/tommyblair22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgcyvdeyt.jpg.html][/URL]URL=https://s40.photobucket.com/user/tommyblair22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5mtnirwt.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 02-12-15, 07:45 PM
rideBjj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so here it is - My R230. Freshly rebuilt with full Campy Record / Sram Red 11 speed and dura ace wheels.

I already did a lengthy write up in a different thread, so as to not be spamming all over the forum, I won't repeat it all here. Suffice it to say, it was already great before, now at 2.5+ lbs lighter and with Campy 11 speed gear, it's outstanding.

As pictured, cost about $3300 all in (not including pedals) and I'm guessing it weighs 16.5lbs, possibly less.
Old 02-14-15, 04:32 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee
Damn! That's a good looking bike...
Thanks it's my weight weenie special, just on 5kg at the moment
Old 02-19-15, 12:35 PM
tommyblair22
Moultoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New (old) better fitting ride. 1999 Litespeed Tuscany
Old 02-19-15, 10:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies but maybe since about a third of it was titanium?, but one of favorite looking bikes, one of which I could never afford, was the Merlin Cielo, the titanium lugs were beautiful and then Merlin added engravings on the lugs, wow! Too bad ABG group bought them out and ruined the reputation by not honoring warranties, and too bad it's no longer being produced. Those bikes still command a lot of money even used on E-Bay.

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/merlin-ci...ver-1861_1.jpg
If you're after that look, Seven cycles still has a couple models in this vein.. eg.
Old 02-20-15, 07:27 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If you're after that look, Seven cycles still has a couple models in this vein.. eg.
I still think the Merlin looked better than the Seven, regardless, I can't afford either! The Seven with Shimano 105 starts at $7,100 and goes up to $11,500 for Campy Record EPS.
Old 02-21-15, 07:10 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

TTTTitanium!
Can you explain why you preferred your R230 to your Roubaix?
Old 02-21-15, 07:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,882 Times in 3,579 Posts
but one of favorite looking bikes, one of which I could never afford, was the Merlin Cielo, the titanium lugs were beautiful and then Merlin added engravings on the lugs, wow!
https://www.pedalroom.com/p/merlin-ci...ver-1861_1.jpg
One of the hottest bikes ever made, IMO.
Old 02-22-15, 02:31 PM
dtpga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the litespeed L1r compare to the Ghisallo in ride quality? Does one sprint/climb better than the other.
Old 02-22-15, 07:32 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Crossbike is the only Ti frame I own.

Motobecane Ti, heavy but fun.

Old 02-23-15, 06:43 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 297 Times in 142 Posts
^^ Gray day, gray bike. Reminds me of one of those olde hand-colored B&W photos.
Old 02-23-15, 07:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,925 Times in 2,987 Posts
Yes, cool photo with the pop from the bar tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.