Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DHL invoice after ordering from UK websites?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DHL invoice after ordering from UK websites?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 01:07 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Because the risk of a $25 customs fee isn't worth hundreds of dollars of savings? Can you point out where I can buy a full 6800 Ultegra Groupset in the USA for $579?
This was a note to SELF. But since you asked. A) No. B) I would ask myself why I needed such an item first. But that's me.
Old 02-23-15, 01:12 PM
Oldan Slo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I had a frame shipped to me from England, UPS sent me a customs bill of $15 about a week after I got the frame.
I ordered a frame from UK a couple weeks ago (274.99 pound value). They ship using Transglobal Express who feed to UPS in the US. When it arrived at my door, UPS required a $49.20 payment (check only, no cash or credit card) before they would release the package. There was no documentation on the charge.
Old 02-23-15, 01:12 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
This was a note to SELF. But since you asked. A) No. B) I would ask myself why I needed such an item first. But that's me.
Replace Ultegra groupset with any high value item.

The fact is that there are significant savings to be made buying from abroad. There's a small risk associated that you might get a customs charge, but in my experience, that's rare and the charge is not going to bring the cost up to the amount saved.

Also, sorry, I didn't realize notes to SELF were something that people weren't allowed to reply to.
Old 02-23-15, 01:14 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Liked 489 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
Do tell. I've been wanting to order a Busch & Müller dynamo light from Germany but have been afraid to follow through because of the possible BS with shipping this into the U.S.

I am down to a short list of online vendors - bike-discount.de, rosebikes.com, starbike.com and xxcycle.com.

I would like to gather opinions here first but I guess that I'll need to ask each of them about how they deal with U.S. Customs.
I placed an order with rosebikes a few months ago and DHL charged me $40 on a €400 order payable upon delivery. I wasn't expecting it, but many of the things I ordered were either not available in the US or significantly more expensive, so still a good deal even with the extra charges. About the same as sales tax where I live.
Old 02-23-15, 01:35 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evans pretty much said it's not their fault and can't be involved.

Seems misleading the way they plaster "no hidden charges!" all over their website. Uh, what the hell else do you call a $25 fee that shows up later?
Old 02-23-15, 01:41 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Replace Ultegra groupset with any high value item.

The fact is that there are significant savings to be made buying from abroad. There's a small risk associated that you might get a customs charge, but in my experience, that's rare and the charge is not going to bring the cost up to the amount saved.

Also, sorry, I didn't realize notes to SELF were something that people weren't allowed to reply to.
I bought a wheelset for about $700.00. So when you add in the $60.00 customs fee, it cuts deep enough into any savings to change the analysis. At that point I would rather pay MORE than $760.00, at a local dealer, or even a place like competitive cyclist, in order to avoid the whole hassle. But more importantly, in the event that there are any issues with the new wheelset, I do not look forward to dealing with PBK's crappy customer service. Live and learn.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-23-15, 01:45 PM
xtrout1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
UK purchase

Originally Posted by Alias530
Has anyone received a DHL invoice in the mail after ordering from UK online websites? Chainreaction/Merlin/Evans? I never have but my first time with Evans I just got an invoice for $25 in the mail. I'm guessing if I don't pay it they'll hold my next package hostage until I do?
I bought from the UK and like everyone else was told "no extra fee" received a duty invoice before they would deliver to me. when everything was said and done, i saved $10.00-$15.00 from buying in the USA.
The order came out fine and I liked what I bought, brand new 3T stem and seat post but, I will not do it again.
I just felt lied to.
Old 02-23-15, 01:58 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I bought a wheelset for about $700.00. So when you add in the $60.00 customs fee, it cuts deep enough into any savings to change the analysis. At that point I would rather pay MORE than $760.00, at a local dealer, or even a place like competitive cyclist, in order to avoid the whole hassle. But more importantly, in the event that there are any issues with the new wheelset, I do not look forward to dealing with PBK's crappy customer service. Live and learn.
Yes, there are always good reasons to buy local, including ease of return and support. For price though, my local shops are never competitive (they charge MSRP or above). I usually buy from the USA, but for groupsets (I'm building a new bike, which is why I was in the market), it's hard to beat the prices from the UK (by hundreds of dollars). I bought from Merlin and they shipped UPS and I never got hit with a customs charge. I've heard that Wiggle and ProBikeKit use DHL who proactively charge for customs, leaving many unhappy customers.

I'm from the UK, and have experience with a lot of these retailers. I've been buying stuff from the UK and having it shipped to the USA for years and have not yet been hit with a customs fee, so even if I do on my next buy, I'm going to consider that amortized that against all the duty fees I never paid.
Old 02-23-15, 02:58 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah... if it's going to cost the same or close I'll buy local and have easier returns/exchanges and faster shipping times. This is the first time I've been burned so I'll keep trying.

Originally Posted by xtrout1
I just felt lied to.
Yep.
Old 02-23-15, 03:11 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VAT & Duty

Website & phone orders

VAT is automatically removed for orders delivered to the Channel Islands and outside of the European Community. VAT cannot be removed for deliveries within the European Community.

Some countries may charge you import tax for certain items. If you have any queries regarding this then please contact your local tax office who should be able to assist you further. Unfortunately Evans Cycles cannot advise on import tax and duty enquiries and we cannot take responsibility for any customs or duty charges which may arise from importing any of our products into your country.
International Delivery & Shipping | Help | Evans Cycles
Old 02-23-15, 03:59 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ well, I guess it's not hidden then - just a bit rare and mostly random?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 02-23-15, 06:51 PM
djb

Liked 1,044 Times in 854 Posts
Canada DHL Uk personal experience--had to pay a fee that was basically $15 fee + the two taxes I would have normally paid. The one thing is that the "taxes" amount may or may not have gone back to the Canadian and provincial gvts--I dont recall what was on the bill, but who knows.
Old 02-26-15, 03:05 PM
jmgardner 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix 105 and Salsa Marrakesh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I order stuff from Chain Reaction... they ship for free on orders over $100 and they have this note on their payment page:

[h=2]"Customs information[/h] Orders may be subject to Customs Duties and Import Taxes.
If you order goods are under the duty threshold of $200, you will not have to pay import duty.

Any additional charges or fees for customs clearance must be covered by you. We have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. We are unable to reimburse any costs incurred regardless of the circumstances.
All information regarding customs and import taxes are here as a guide, for the latest information on customs duties and import taxes, you can visit: Import duty & taxes when importing into the United States - DutyCalculator Help Center
It is a legal requirement that we declare the full value of the goods (not including shipping charges) on all packages, and shipments may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. It is a criminal offence to falsify the details on this form. We cannot inaccurately describe the contents, claim a lower value or mark as a gift. Please do not ask us to do any of the above.
We dispatch your goods from multiple warehouses so please be aware that your order may be split into two or three packages and may not arrive together in one delivery."

SO, now if I need to order lots of stuff I'll just make multiple orders in $150 increments.
For big things I'll just try to figure the duty and work that into the total cost.

IT is amazing how much cheaper they are...makes me wonder.
Old 02-27-15, 04:17 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
It was explained to me that DHL is the postal service in Germany. Stuff that comes from Germany tends to be shipped through their postal service and then handed off to USPS. Then there's DHL that operates like FedEX, UPS, etc. They used to be in the US but closed up shop years ago. That's the parcel delivery service and they hit you up w/ all the brokerage fees, etc. You have to know which places to order from when buying from Europe to avoid that stuff.
Old 02-27-15, 04:50 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
your problem lies with the tax man, not with the seller.

they are not ripping you off. customs and import fees are a part of your civic duty. consider all the times you didnt get charged that you got lucky.

ive bought foreign-shipped items of much higher value. sometimes you get hit, sometimes you dont. part of the game. where i live now, customs sniff every package that comes in no matter how big or small. and the import fees are much higher. part of the game
Old 02-27-15, 09:55 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jmgardner

IT is amazing how much cheaper they are...makes me wonder.
I believe I caught somewhere there is an exchange rate advantage currently. I just picked up a couple Selle Italia Superflow saddles for $117 each (both sizes to test what fits me). I did get hit with an international transaction charge of like $3.00 for each purchase from my bank, but so far no other charges have surfaced. They were delivered in about 8 business days as advertised by Wiggle.

I wouldn't want to try to deal with returning anything. I plan to Ebay the one that doesn't fit the best and hope I might at least break even on it.
Old 02-27-15, 12:00 PM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got nailed too. Here's what Air City Post says (who PBK uses).
------
United States Customs Duty Explanation
Why Do I have to pay US Customs Duty and related fees?

All parcels with a stated value above $200 entering the United States are subject to the assessment of duties and related fees imposed by the United States Customs and Border Protection Agency. Duties and related fees are imposed to generate revenue for the government and to protect US industries against foreign competition.

Many United States consumers are confused when asked to pay US Customs Duty and related fees. Part of the confusion is that foreign etailers in the past relied on their local postal service to deliver your parcel. The problem is the foreign local postal service utilizes USPS who is required by US Customs law to collect any duty and related fees from you for parcels valued above $200. Unfortunately, US Customs has decided that this process does not work well.

Recently, US Customs has notified the foreign etailer community that failure to follow their procedures will result in significant fines to them. The etailers are now turning to companies like FedEx, UPS, DHL and aircitypost to navigate the US Customs process.

The duties and fees must be paid before parcels are released from US Customs. The charges are based on:

Parcel Value
Trade Agreements
Country of Manufacture
Use of the Product
The Product's Harmonized System Code (HS)

Customs officials assess duties and fees based on information provided by the etailer, the air waybill, the Commercial Invoice and other related documents.

Many times, the US consumer will research the duty charge to discover that there is no duty required (a high performance bicycle tire is a good example) but the related fees are still required primarily due to the parcel being above $200.
What are the fees for?

United States Customs Duty- the shipper provides a description of the item purchased that determines the US Customs Harmonized Code. This code determines the amount of Duty to be paid to US Customs.

Merchandise Processing Fee- included with the US Customs Duty is a non-refundable fee charged by US Customs for their administrative expenses. This fee is included on the Customs duty line in your email (this charge occurs even if the duty is free). The rate used is .364% of the stated parcel value.

Advancement Fee- aircitypost is required to pay the duty and fees in advance on our client's behalf (our client is your etailer). We also pay for a bonded broker to navigate the US Customs process. This fee can be waived if you wish to appear before US Customs in person with the appropriate documentation. If you check the FedEx website you will see the same charge. UPS calls it a Disbursement fee and DHL refers to it as an Administrative fee.

Handling Fee- In order for the broker to navigate the US Customs process, aircitypost provides proper clearance documentation, tracking capabilities, a bonded storage facility, inspection stations and trucking. We also must answer US Customs inquiries and audits.

How new is this? From January to last week, I received close to $5,000 worth of goodies from the UK (Part of a new bike build) it was shipped via Parcelforce and delivered for collection to my local post office. I did not pay a penny in duties, or fees. Some of it was free shipping. BTW, my savings were around $2,500 compared to best retail prices here in the US and delivery was between 3 to 5 days.
Old 02-27-15, 12:57 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
How new is this? From January to last week, I received close to $5,000 worth of goodies from the UK (Part of a new bike build) it was shipped via Parcelforce and delivered for collection to my local post office. I did not pay a penny in duties, or fees. Some of it was free shipping. BTW, my savings were around $2,500 compared to best retail prices here in the US and delivery was between 3 to 5 days.
That's awesome. Please send me your check in the amount of 8% of $5,000.00 and I will make sure to forward it to the proper authorities.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-27-15, 01:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,491 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
That's such BS... I didn't ask for it to go via DHL, especially not with some fee that's 1/3 the cost of the item!
Your beef is with the seller, not DHL. When filling out export B/L's with companies like UPS, Fedex, or DHL, there's an option for how shipping costs, and various fees are handled. The shipper can specify he'll pay either shipping, or shipping and fees, or neither. What the shipper doesn't agree to pay is charged forward.

Next time, specify that you want your goods shipped via the postal service (which charges no fees) and no other way unless seller pays all fees.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-27-15, 01:04 PM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome. Please send me your check in the amount of 8% of $5,000.00 and I will make sure to forward it to the proper authorities.
The way I interpret the customs duty tables, part of it has no duty and part of it has 3%. The 8% indicates your ignorance on the subject, as there is no mention of this number anywhere under bicycles and components. US security opened and inspected, re-taped, US customs decided to charge nothing. The OP did not get tagged with duties, rather the shipper charged him a fee, which is BS as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-27-15, 01:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

The way I interpret the customs duty tables, part of it has no duty and part of it has 3%. The 8% indicates your ignorance on the subject. US security opened and inspected, re-taped, US customs decided to charge nothing. The OP did not get tagged with duties, rather the shipper charged him a fee, which is BS as far as I am concerned.
The carrier charges a fee because they have to prepare customs entry documentation, and post a bond.. Typical customs fees for import shipments run $100-$250 (or more) depending on things like the bond cost, and the size and complexity the shipment. There's also the harbor fee which is assessed as a percentage of value (subject to a minimum - used to be $18.00) on all shipments.

The reason that you're not charged big bucks is that the carrier consolidates all the packages into a single entry (all shipments on a single boat or flight can be entered as a single shipment), and so can split it among all the packages. $25-35 is fairly typical for this, and under the circumstances is fair and reasonable. BTW- if you didn't pay any duty or harbor fee, it's because the carrier paid it, but it was small enough to average into the total entry and absorbed within the flat fee charged. You can be fairly sure that if the shipment was larger with duty coming to more than a few bucks, you would have paid the $25.00 Plus the actual duty.

It's not tht DHL are crooks, it's who routed the shipment, and who's going to pay it.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-27-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 01:26 PM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The carrier charges a fee because they have to prepare customs entry documentation, and post a bond.. Typical customs fees for import shipments run $100-$250 (or more) depending on things like the bond cost, and the size and complexity the shipment. This also includes the harbor fee which is assessed on all shipments.

The reason that you're not charged big bucks is that the carrier consolidates all the packages into a single entry (all shipments on a single boat or flight can be entered as a single shipment), and so can split it among all the packages. $25-35 is fairly typical for this, and under the circumstances is fair and reasonable. BTW- if you didn't pay any duty or harbor fee, it's because the carrier paid it, but it was small enough to average into the total entry and absorbed within the flat fee charged. You can be fairly sure that if the shipment was larger with duty coming to more than a few bucks, you would have paid the $25.00 Plus the actual duty.

It's not tht DHL are crooks, it's who routed the shipment, and who's going to pay it.
Thanks for your reply, you sure know more about this than I do. My last package was from Chain Reaction Cycles, it was just North of $300, a whole lot cheaper than US prices. Shipping for a purchase value over $200 they offer as free and I paid no extra. Whatever fee applied, they must have absorbed that as part of the deal. It was also shipped with Parcel Force, took 3 days.

Last edited by ColnagoC40; 02-27-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 01:49 PM
FBinNY 

... My last package was from Chain Reaction Cycles, it was just North of $300, a whole lot cheaper than US prices. Shipping for a purchase value over $200 they offer as free and I paid no extra. Whatever fee applied, they must have absorbed that as part of the deal. It was also shipped with Parcel Force, took 3 days.
Yes, your seller honored his promise to pay all charges (excluding actual duty), which is as it should be. Curious - To my (dated) knowledge, ParcelForce doesn't have USA operations, except maybe in certain major markets. So do you remember who delivered your package?

Old 02-27-15, 02:05 PM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, your seller honored his promise to pay all charges (excluding actual duty), which is as it should be. Curious - To my (dated) knowledge, ParcelForce doesn't have USA operations, except maybe in certain major markets. So do you remember who delivered your package?
My first package was a Colnago C60 frame and a Campy Super Record group set. The seller charged a shipping fee of close to $100, as part of the deal. The second package was tires, tubes, lights, and stuff from a different vendor, where I paid no shipping costs. To answer you, tracking through Parcel Force ended in a statement "Collection by customer at delivery depot" The next day I got a notice from my local post office to come and collect and sign for the package. No additional fees in both cases. The frame and group set was opened by airport security, they even opened some of the group component boxes and re-taped with red lettered tape. The supplier of the frame simply stated the real price in British Pounds and labelled it as "Bicycle Components from Italian origin of Manufacture."
Old 02-27-15, 02:13 PM
FBinNY 

My first package was a Colnago C60 frame and a Campy Super Record group set. The seller charged a shipping fee of close to $100, as part of the deal. The second package was tires, tubes, lights, and stuff from a different vendor, where I paid no shipping costs. To answer you, tracking through Parcel Force ended in a statement "Collection by customer at delivery depot" The next day I got a notice from my local post office to come and collect and sign for the package.....
Thanks. So the USPS was the partner, probably from when it left the customs. There's more and more of this. For example, Fedex has a deep discount program for large shippers, where they handle the package to the destination city, then turn it over to the local USPS for delivery to your door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.