Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone RB-1 vs Centurion Ironman Expert/Master

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone RB-1 vs Centurion Ironman Expert/Master

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 11:52 AM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Thanks for the tire recommendation. They don't make a tan sidewall version, do they?
No, sir.
Old 02-27-15, 12:34 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RB-1's usually look well built up or you see them out on the streets built with fenders and gators. I see them as a bike snob bike, albeit still the kind of snob I could rap with about component selection.

Ironman frames are just the best for building out of any bike of the period imo, loud as others have stated.. They ride great, they look great, they were built to last and that's the thing I appreciate so much about them. Very blue collar with no effs given, yet quality enough to have stood the test of time.

Basically:
Old 02-27-15, 03:52 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 709 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by trekKiller

Basically:
You might want to rethink this.

One Ironman pilot with a RB-1 mustache.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-27-15, 04:42 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
You might want to rethink this.
One Ironman pilot with a RB-1 mustache.

Maskirovka! Bce Маскировка, первый сержант.
Old 02-27-15, 10:54 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Liked 1,050 Times in 509 Posts
Hmmmm, I resemble that remark. It's too much fun being a bike snob from time to time, and I just happen to be attempting to grow a handlebar mustache at the moment... However, wrk's Ironman is now on the way. My wife is starting to get used to hearing "this is the last bike" from me. I keep telling her it's way cheaper than a mistress. I don't know why she doesn't enjoy my humor??
Old 02-28-15, 07:01 AM
Dog Trainer

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Paramount, 198? Medici Pro Strada, 1997 Waterford 2200, 2005 Gunnar Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading this thread almost makes me think about breaking my rule number 3, ride only frames built in the USA. My wife just frowns at me and says whatever every time I say this will be my last bike or motorcycle.
Old 03-01-15, 08:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
However, wrk's Ironman is now on the way. My wife is starting to get used to hearing "this is the last bike" from me. I keep telling her it's way cheaper than a mistress. I don't know why she doesn't enjoy my humor??
Doesn't matter, as long as your mistress does...
Old 03-01-15, 08:59 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Finally got to take the RB1 out for it's maiden voyage (with me that is). Just rode 12 miles on paved Rails to Trails with a bit of road when snow banks couldn't be portaged. I'm not quite refined enough to articulate subtle differences in geometry or tubing, but I do know that the bike tracked nicely, was very stable, fun in a sprint, and pleasant to ride with 28s (even if they were bomb-proof, heavy duty Vittoria Randonneur Crosses). I also discovered that I completely agree with Grant Peterson's 90's diatribe promoting barcons - I love them and am seriously considering them for the Ironman build.

Compared to the '88 Sirrus, which my brother rode, the rear triangle of the RB1 is much smaller (shorter chainstays?). There are just a couple mm of clearance between the tire and ST. Nearly a cm or more with the same sized tires on the Sirrus.

It'll be a while before the Ironman is built up as two French bikes need building, but I will report back on that in the future...
Old 03-01-15, 07:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

It'll be a while before the Ironman is built up as two French bikes need building,....
I need some air.
Old 03-01-15, 08:05 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

I love the French ladies, especially when they wear 531. Very sexy
Old 03-01-15, 10:46 PM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having owned both I prefer the IronMan because to me both ride similar, I just have more money left over after buying a Ironman to do upgrades

Old 03-02-15, 06:48 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
MikesChevelle, I hate you with the petty jealousy of a zitty teenage girl. Now I need a purple and yellow Ironman 60-62cm 58-59 top tube. With 9 or 10 speed Campy. I'll be selling plasma to make it happen.
Old 03-02-15, 09:54 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts
I just lucked into an Ironman MAster -- thinking '89ish as the brakes are dual pivot -- I will be able to comment more on the ride when my area thaws out ----
23.8 pounds on my trusty Trilene fish scale as it sits --- i likely dropped half a pound by ditching the gel seat already , and will put on some kevlar bead tires, but its a chunky little beast (i would also guess the first generation SPD pedals and semi aero cross section rims on the bike are also heavy ---- but i ride spd's on many other bikes, so they are a big plus for me, and a heavy duty set of wheels i dont have to worry about is also good)

--- i was pleasantly surprised to find the stem and handlebars are real Nitto components though ---
Since i have plenty of "go fast" bikes already --- this one may get the Mustache bar treatment - it would make an excellent coffee shop cruiser - although a Bridgestone would probably garner more style points in that regard, as they popularized the Mustache bar anyway

Old 03-02-15, 05:17 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I also discovered that I completely agree with Grant Peterson's 90's diatribe promoting barcons - I love them and am seriously considering them for the Ironman build.
I was considering the same thing when I built up my Ironman. Did a mock-up with them and decided to go with down tube. Bar ends are sweet, but I had to be honest with myself and admit that I really love dt shifters.

Here are a some not so good pictures of mine. As noted earlier, the RB-1 is no longer in the stable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-06-23 10.53.48.jpg (86.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg
CAM00137.jpg (100.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 03-02-15, 06:44 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Liked 69 Times in 46 Posts
You could say I'm agnostic in this debate.

RB-1 is 90% complete and all decked out in Shimano tricolor

Purchased from jjames1452, without wheels. Plan to mount 105/CXP22 from Velomine.

Haven't ridden nor serviced this recent acquisition

Last edited by oddjob2; 03-02-15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 09:08 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

That's a really nice stable of 80's bikes, [MENTION=305894]oddjob2[/MENTION].
Old 03-02-15, 09:16 PM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a really nice stable of 80's bikes, [MENTION=305894]oddjob2[/MENTION].
No kidding HE has some fine Japanese bikes happening there. Perhaps a ride report on the Miyata team vs the Ironman.
Old 03-02-15, 11:12 PM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon98
MikesChevelle, I hate you with the petty jealousy of a zitty teenage girl. Now I need a purple and yellow Ironman 60-62cm 58-59 top tube. With 9 or 10 speed Campy. I'll be selling plasma to make it happen.
It will only be complete with Bio Pace rings
Old 03-05-15, 01:10 PM
seypat

Liked 2,677 Times in 1,587 Posts
I was having a conversation with my tri buddy which Robbie and rccardr met at SOTR last year. He was filling me in on the tri bike trend that is happening in our (Richmond VA) area. It seems that the tri people (at least in his club) are going back to the past. They are acquiring old steel frames, souping them up with 1 x modern drivetrains, and having a blast! In his club there are 1 or 2 Bridgestones and the rest are riding Ironmans. He is picking up a steel frame this weekend and starting the process himself.
Old 03-05-15, 01:36 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by seypat
I was having a conversation with my tri buddy which Robbie and rccardr met at SOTR last year. He was filling me in on the tri bike trend that is happening in our (Richmond VA) area. It seems that the tri people (at least in his club) are going back to the past. They are acquiring old steel frames, souping them up with 1 x modern drivetrains, and having a blast!
Hey... that's a great idea... Aero brake levers, 8s barcon, 52T chainring, Mavic 330 tubular rims laced to Dura Ace hubs... no front derailleur, no front shift lever... Am I becoming a weight weenie?
Old 03-05-15, 01:39 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,326 Times in 2,385 Posts
That's a really nice stable of 80's bikes, @oddjob2.
+ 1. I'm still trying to figure out if there are any nice higher end C&V bikes that oddjob doesn't own,
Old 03-05-15, 05:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Having owned both I prefer the IronMan because to me both ride similar, I just have more money left over after buying a Ironman to do upgrades

...so you don't have to steal S-10 wheels for your car?
Old 03-05-15, 05:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
I was having a conversation with my tri buddy which Robbie and rccardr met at SOTR last year. He was filling me in on the tri bike trend that is happening in our (Richmond VA) area. It seems that the tri people (at least in his club) are going back to the past. They are acquiring old steel frames, souping them up with 1 x modern drivetrains, and having a blast! In his club there are 1 or 2 Bridgestones and the rest are riding Ironmans. He is picking up a steel frame this weekend and starting the process himself.
Say it ain't so!

Rumor has it, an executive from Apple has been dusting people up in the Seattle area on something quite like this....
Old 03-05-15, 05:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I love the French ladies, especially when they wear 531. Very sexy
I suppose, just give 'em a good scrubbing.
Old 03-05-15, 06:26 PM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
...so you don't have to steal S-10 wheels for your car?
Good eye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.