Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Girls, where do you get jackets?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 04:50 PM
Amplexica

Bikes: Specialized Myka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read several pages of the forum and mostly all of them saying about male clothing And I don't waaaant another male jacket!

Need a wind/rainproof jacket, but the only one I found is the green one from the sponsors , which doesn not fit.

I love the back pocket in cycling jackets and the way they cover the back (since I ride MTB, not city bike or cruiser) and allow not to take a backpack for an evening ride in the park , but ordinary jackets camouflages the "rear lower airbag" better, which is more comfortable when riding on the city streets, so I am looking for both cycling and ordinary jackets.

Size- I think US size is 4X or 5X, UK size (according to Marks & Spencer) would be something like 26, German size 54-56.

Hope someone knows the place!

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-15, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,201 Times in 7,603 Posts
Nice stuff, if you can afford it:

Jackets | The Rapha Womens Shop | Rapha
Old 03-13-15, 07:45 AM
Amplexica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nice stuff, if you can afford it:

Jackets | The Rapha Womens Shop | Rapha
No normal sizes.
Old 03-13-15, 07:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member

Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Amplexica
No normal sizes.
???

The sizes may be labelled differently than the UK sizes you mentioned, but these are still jackets designed for female human bodies.
Old 03-13-15, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,201 Times in 7,603 Posts
Originally Posted by Amplexica
No normal sizes.
Depends on the definition of "normal."
Old 03-13-15, 08:31 AM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can kind of see what she meant, considering this is the 200+lb forum and the link posted above doesn't have clothes larger than a US size 12.

I know where to get regular plus-size jackets in the US, no idea if they ship internationally or not.

Old Navy: Women's Plus Old Navy Active Tunic Jackets | Old Navy (Old Navy clothes usually fit tall people better)

Lane Bryant: Livi Active Jackets, Hoodies & Warm Ups | Lane Bryant

Catherines: Plus Size Active Tops, Tanks & Jackets | Catherines (Catherines runs very big, I wear an 18/20 in other brands, but even the 14/16 at Catherines is too big for me)

Junonia used to be a place to get high-quality activewear in bigger sizes, but I've given up ordering from them because of their bad customer service (and because I now fit in clothes from lots of other places).
Woman Within is another plus-size website that sells activewear, but I've gotten too many shirts from them that arrived with small holes in the fabric that only get bigger as you wash them, and it costs more to send the clothes back than they cost to begin with.

I don't have any cycling-specific jackets because we just don't get much cold weather here. If it were ever cold and rainy, I'd probably take my husband's jacket because it's a dark color and I'd rather get mud splatter on his jacket than mine. In general, men's jackets have better pockets and they're longer, meaning they're more likely to cover your butt when you're riding.
Old 03-13-15, 08:33 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member

Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
???

The sizes may be labelled differently than the UK sizes you mentioned, but these are still jackets designed for female human bodies.
Originally Posted by Judi
I can kind of see what she meant, considering this is the 200+lb forum and the link posted above doesn't have clothes larger than a US size 12.
My mistake. You are correct. Apologies.
Old 03-13-15, 09:36 AM
Amplexica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judi

Thanks

Was surfing through Woman Within yesterday, laid my eye on several garments, thanks for the warning!

Previously I was a Columbia fan, but they stopped selling female sizes over XL here (sorrow-sorrow). For everyday I love C&A, "Just my size" is good also.

I still remember that cycling jersey with awesome "magic mushrooms" print that I've bidded for on E-bay

Yeah, male things are more usefull and comfortable, that's true
Something tells me that I'll end up getting one . Again ))

Last edited by Amplexica; 03-13-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-13-15, 01:26 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two companies offer PLUS size cycling clothes:

Terrybicycle.com [Terry based in Vermont will have winter style clothing]

teamestrogen.com

Also

Aerotech.com.

However depending on your height you might want a man's jacket as they tend to be longer. I can find women's jackets to fit my girth but they are generally too short.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-13-15, 06:16 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I like my Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket. It's not heavy weight, but it is rain and wind proof. Also, it has a retractable black "duck tail" that's great when the weather gets sloppy.

I don't have success with men's jackets because the hip to sleeve-length ratio is all wrong. Pearl Izumi goes up to XXL (though some vendors stop at XL). I find their sizing more generous than most bike-clothing brands.
Old 03-14-15, 10:48 AM
Amplexica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrybicycle.com [Terry based in Vermont will have winter style clothing]
Gave me 3 pages of sponsored listings, digging

teamestrogen.com
already in bookmarks for great bra's

Aerotech.com.
our dear sponsor was the first to visit Maybe someone got their 5X green jacket? Because feedbacks say that it is smaller than it should be.

However depending on your height you might want a man's jacket as they tend to be longer. I can find women's jackets to fit my girth but they are generally too short.
No problem here, I am 166cm, which is 5'5

Thanks for the links!
Old 03-14-15, 10:53 AM
Amplexica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
I like my Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket. It's not heavy weight, but it is rain and wind proof. Also, it has a retractable black "duck tail" that's great when the weather gets sloppy.
I'm in love , but my wallet ran away, screaming )) Thanks
Old 03-14-15, 11:59 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
^^^ Another good thing about Pearl Izumi is that if you're patient, you can find half-price bargains around the web. I think I paid $60 for mine... still not a cheap jacket, but the screaming was minimized.
Old 03-14-15, 02:14 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose

I don't have success with men's jackets because the hip to sleeve-length ratio is all wrong. Pearl Izumi goes up to XXL (though some vendors stop at XL). I find their sizing more generous than most bike-clothing brands.
That's really tempting. I looked at their sizing chart, I'd have to order the men's xxl to fit over my chest, and then the sleeves would probably be way too long.
Old 03-14-15, 02:57 PM
Amplexica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pearl Izumi is having clearance right now!

Shop Pearl Izumi Women's Women's Ride Outerwear
Old 03-18-15, 11:19 AM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We expanded our women's & men's sizing to XXXL a couple of years ago in response to some great feedback given thru this particular forum. I'd like to think we have what you need, so please check out our size guide: Road Holland Stylish Cycling Apparel: Sizing Guide - Road Holland Cycling Apparel and Accessories