Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

3 way stoplight

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

3 way stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 11:16 AM
rbldude14

Bikes: Giant TCX advanced, Specialized Rockhopper, unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 way stoplight

If the light turns red, do I need to stop with traffic or can I continue on since I am on my own bike lane? You can see that there is no road on the right. If you are interested on where this is, I commute from Broomfield to Boulder in Colorado. I come to this intersection every time on Baseline and 76th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike lane.JPG (60.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 03-30-15, 11:19 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would roll on through.
Old 03-30-15, 11:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
with an eye for oncoming traffic, don't just blast thru without looking what's going on
Old 03-30-15, 11:27 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,632 Posts
Since there's no cross traffic, I'd eyeball to my left and roll through. The eyeball is important because even though cars shouldn't come to where you are, you never know for sure. Also, a driver approaching from the left isn't expecting anyone to enter, and even though it shouldn't make a difference, it might bother him to see you suddenly appear from behind the stopped traffic.

However, that's a question of practice, but under the law, that light applies to you as much as it does to the motor traffic in the other lanes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-30-15, 11:51 AM
rbldude14

Bikes: Giant TCX advanced, Specialized Rockhopper, unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks! I usually just roll through because I have to stop 100yards later because that light is always red. Just wondering what I should do if I see the cherries and berries watching me
Old 03-30-15, 11:57 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same situation on one of my regular commute routes. I don't normally stop for the light. As others have said, I proceed carefully. If there are any cars coming on the cross street I slow down (or stop if necessary); I have resorted to hopping the curb and taking the sidewalk also. It's a two-lane road so they *shouldn't* be turning left into the right lane anyway, though people do that far too often and I need to anticipate that. Since I'm "in the wrong" but doing it anyway it's my job to adjust to and accommodate others.
Old 03-30-15, 12:01 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Legally you're supposed to stop. I'd just roll through. Provided there are no pedestrians in the area and tempered with common sense.
Old 03-30-15, 12:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by rbldude14
Awesome!! Thanks! I usually just roll through because I have to stop 100yards later because that light is always red. Just wondering what I should do if I see the cherries and berries watching me
Police attitudes vary by locality and individual temperament.

I often come to reds that I treat as yields and go through if conditions permit. Once in a while I'll come to one right next to a waiting patrol car. often the officer will ask me why I'm waiting and I tell him I would have gone through, but didn't want to rub his nose in it. That gets a laugh, and we both go on enjoying the day.

If there's a cop there, make eye contact and look for a cue. If none, waiting is better than possibly creating an issue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-30-15, 12:32 PM
badrad

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
There is no stop line marking across the lane so there is no requirement to stop. If there was a stop line that extended across the lane, all traffic (including pedestrians using that lane) must stop on the red.
Old 03-31-15, 06:21 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,433 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by badrad
There is no stop line marking across the lane so there is no requirement to stop. If there was a stop line that extended across the lane, all traffic (including pedestrians using that lane) must stop on the red.
It's not as simple as that. Bicyclists are supposed to follow the traffic laws even if they are in the shoulder.
Old 03-31-15, 06:27 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by rbldude14
I don't think there is a high risk of getting a ticket (you could get a ticket even if it was legal). Try to make it look like you are being careful. A cop is more likely to bother you if you look like you are not being careful.

You could, of course, look around for cops and adjust your behavior according to what you found.

The legality of not stopping in this situation is ambiguous.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-31-15 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 07:09 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Legally you have to follow the same rules as the cars do, if you roll you are entitled to the ticket you get assuming the community law enforcement holds up their laws on bikes as much as they do for cars. If a car comes from the green side and swings it wide and strikes you it's going to be your fault regardless if cops are around or not.

I stop for all red lights and stop signs, the only time I don't is if I'm out in the country and a stop sign comes up then I'll slow to about 5 mph, look both ways and look for cops, then roll.

Some communities/county/state law enforcements are very strict and others don't care what cyclists do. Where I live the City police don't care, though I care because I feel if you disrespect the laws then motorists will disrespect cyclists, but the county sheriff and the state patrol seem to care a lot, so you need to know the attitude of the policing agency in the area you're riding, if you don't know their policy then don't roll.
Old 03-31-15, 07:59 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a similar situation but with no shoulder. I stop, but if I had a shoulder like that I probably wouldn't.
Old 03-31-15, 08:30 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I don't see the limit line extending all the way across the bike lane, a tough call. I personally would error to the side of caution and stop for the red light, especially in conditions where there is turning traffic from the side road. My commute has a similar intersection, only that there is a limit line extending across the bike lane, making cyclists obligated to stop for the red light.
Old 03-31-15, 08:48 AM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
In most states I don't think the stop line has any legality with regard to stopping or not. If a line is present you are supposed to stop prior to the line, if a line is not present you are required to stop before cross traffic. We have many junctions with no stop lines at all and I don't think I'll try explaining to a judge that even though the light was red I didn't have a stop line so we're all good here.

Then again, stopping right there falls kind of in to the ridiculous column. Just can't get enough of U.S. traffic engineering.
Old 03-31-15, 08:56 AM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
There is a similar intersection in Superior at Coalton & Rock Creek Circle.
Very frequently, there is a cop parked 1/2 block away on the Eastbound side of Coalton, watching the intersection.
Old 03-31-15, 03:28 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by dynodonn
I don't see the limit line extending all the way across the bike lane, a tough call.
"Bike lane"? What "bike lane"? It looks like a shoulder to me.

==================

There are two separate issues here: 1- getting a ticket (something that could happen whether or not it was illegal) and 2- contesting it in court.

You (generally) never want to have to deal with the second issue. If that's the case, the interest is in not getting a ticket (not really whether or not it's illegal).
Old 03-31-15, 03:30 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
In most states I don't think the stop line has any legality with regard to stopping or not. If a line is present you are supposed to stop prior to the line, if a line is not present you are required to stop before cross traffic.
The stop line indicates where to stop. There are many roads that have stop signs and no stop lines.
Old 03-31-15, 05:17 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Bicyclists are supposed to follow the traffic laws even if they are in the shoulder.
Law breakers are the absolute worst! In fact, I make a point to chase down and very loudly scold all motorists that speed, do not signal lane changes/turns for several hundred feet, and do not come to a complete stop at traffic signals.
Old 03-31-15, 05:27 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Law breakers are the absolute worst! In fact, I make a point to chase down and very loudly scold all motorists that speed, do not signal lane changes/turns for several hundred feet, and do not come to a complete stop at traffic signals.

I'm not telling people what or what not to do in this case.

Bicyclists certainly don't have a magical ability to claim that whatever they want to do is legal.
Old 03-31-15, 05:30 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
though I care because I feel if you disrespect the laws then motorists will disrespect cyclists
by this logic motorist respect for cyclists in idaho must be higher than any other region in the world.
Old 03-31-15, 05:39 PM
PaulH

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts
Yes. Don't over-complicate your life. Red = stop; green= go.
Old 03-31-15, 06:35 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A red light means stop.
Old 03-31-15, 06:41 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Legally one must stop before entering intersection (defined by extending line from curb of intersecting road) or if there is one, before x-walk. In this case x-walk defines where you must stop.
Practically if you choose not to stop I would make sure there are no pedestrians crossing first, especially any that may be hidden behind a vehicle to your left.
Old 03-31-15, 07:03 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Yes. Don't over-complicate your life. Red = stop; green= go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEFYCaKakE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.