Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Another Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 09:16 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. I have been looking on your forum for a while now and am now starting to get serious about buying a folding bike. Hope you don't mind, but I have a number of questions. I should also let you know that I did go through all the posts at the beginning of this section.

First, a bit about myself. I'm male, 5' 8" tall and weigh approximately 150 pounds. I'm 62 years old and retired, so I don't need a bike for commuting. The bike will mostly be used on a recreation basis. We live in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada and have a summer cabin about 2 hours out town, where I'll primarily be using the bike. So basically, I think the bike will be used on both pavement and on gravel. May go on some trails, but will definitely not be anything like hard core mountain biking. More like gravel roads with some pot holes, etc. I want the folding bike because we don't have a tremendous amount of excess room in our cabin. I will need to bring the bike in every night and take it downstairs. We also go on the odd kayaking trip and will stay in a rented cabin, etc. It would be nice to be able to take a bike along on these trips. A folder seems to be the answer.

I should also say that while I'm in decent shape (I kayak, paddle board and exercise pretty regularly) I haven't really been on a bike since I was a kid, so I'm pretty new to all this.

As for budget, well, as I said above I haven't really been on a bike since I was a kid. When I first started this I thought maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I quickly learned the world of biking has changed a lot! I'm thinking in the $500 to $700 range, but I've always believed in getting the right product the first time, and if I have to spend a bit more to get me there, so be it. So I'm not absolutely firm on those numbers. I should also say that because I live in Canada, if I were to buy a bike from the U.S. the exchange rate is a real killer right now. I can basically add 30% to the cost of any bike I buy out of the U.S. and that's not including any extra shipping costs. Again, I won't rule out a bike just because of this, and in fact there is one bike I'll mention later on that really intrigues me that is priced in U.S. dollars. I'd really like to get an opinion on this bike, but I'll get to it later in this post.

I'm pretty sure I want 20" wheels as a minimum. I'm not sure whether or not I need a bike with a suspension, but I'm leaning towards thinking I don't need it - anyone have any thoughts on this given the type of riding I'll be doing?

I think I would like to have fenders, a rear rack and a kick stand, but I suppose most of those things can be added on as extras after the initial purchase.

Now for the bikes I have considered.

One of the first bikes I looked at is from MEC in Canada. It is called the "MEC Origami". Unfortunately the one I'm thinking of is not yet up on their website. The cost is listed at $700. It has 20" tires and I think it is either 8 or 9 speed. I know it has an internal hub - not sure if this is a good thing or not??? Can anyone give me their opinions on this? It also has a grip shifter and from what I've read most people prefer the trigger shift. I know this is a matter of personal preference, but just curious on any thoughts on this? I think I would prefer the trigger shift, but I suppose it's not a deal killer one way or the other.

The next bike I considered was the Giant Expressway 1. It's priced at $589, is 8 speed and has the trigger shift.

The next bike(s) I thought of were Downtube bikes. To be honest the first I heard of them was on this forum and they seem to have a pretty loyal following, which to me is a good thing. They are priced in U.S. dollars, so I'd have to pay the extra duty, but again, if it's the right bike I would not let that stop me. The trouble is, I can't really decide which of their bikes is the right one. My initial thought was the "8H Shimano Nexus 8SP W/ Gates Carbon Belt Drive". A very nice looking bike. I'm really not sure however about the belt drive. I read a thread somewhere on this forum about belt drives and came away with a pretty strong impression that most people prefer chain drives. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or which of the Downtube bikes would be good for me given what I'll be using the bike for?

And last but certainly not least. The other bike I'm looking at is the Helix. I'm sure you've probably all heard of it, and I have read the thread on this forum about it. Their website is here: Helix - The World's Best Folding Bike

When I came across this bike it was one of those "WOW" moments. I'm normally pretty conservative with my money and don't take many financial risks, but this bike has me really thinking about going in on the Kickstart funding. With 24" tires and a bike that folds like that it looks pretty special to my untrained eye. I also just can't see the price going anywhere but up given the titanium frame, etc., etc. This is also priced in U.S. dollars and the Kickstart campaign is supposed to start sometime in April, so that's got to be pretty soon. The Kickstart price is $1,199 and the regular price will be $1,499. For me, when you figure in the exchange rate, it is actually close to a $400 savings if I invested in this with Kickstart.

My real questions on this however, are do you think this bike will first of all fit me, and secondly is it a bike that will suit my intended use? That being, I'll be using the bike for recreational use on both pavement and some trail like conditions (gravel roads with maybe some pot holes) but definitely not any heavy duty mountain bike type riding.

I really like the 24" wheels and just love the way it folds. From what I read it will also accommodate fenders and a rear rack although I'd like to see that in place.

It's just one of those rare things that for me at least had a huge WOW factor. What I don't want however, is to spend that kind of money and end up with a bike that won't be any good for what I want it for. So, any thoughts on this bike and how it would work for me are very much appreciated.

I should also say that if there are any other bikes not on my list that you think I should look at please feel free to let me know. I know I haven't mentioned either Dahon or Tern. I haven't looked much into either brand, as I'm going to pay a visit to a bike shop a few miles away that sells both brands and see what they have to say.

And finally, I haven't actually tested out any bikes yet, but plan to do so in the next couple of weeks.

Really sorry about the long post, but I thought it would be better to give you as much information as possible. And thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.
Old 04-24-15, 09:36 PM
badrad

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
You should cross over Lions Gate or the Ironworker's and take a test ride over at JV Bikes on Pacific Blvd. You'll get a chance to test ride their variety of bikes - Terns, Dahons and Bromptons. While you are in the neighbourhood, swing up to Cambie and 18 and check out Cambie cycles for their selection, I think they still rep Bike Fridays.

It'll just cost you an afternoon to test out some bikes and narrow down your field.
Old 04-24-15, 09:43 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did plan on going to JV Bikes. I hadn't heard of Cambie Bikes though. I'll look into them as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-25-15, 02:31 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i recomend the dahon jetstream or simular, airamals (24 inch), paffic reach, the latter might stretch that elastic budget,but are well worth considering. else a montage, or other 26" also sounds like a good circumstance fit.
Old 04-25-15, 10:39 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies. I guess I should have waited before I posted yesterday, as today I went out and actually test rode a few bikes. I tried the Giant Expressway 1 and also a Tern. Don't remember which Tern it was, but it had 24" wheels. What I quickly discovered was that I really didn't like either of the bikes, so I then started looking at full size bikes that were not folders. I tested three different "hybrid" bikes and really liked them. They just felt more comfortable to me. Don't get me wrong, the folders are great bikes. But after testing, I found that I liked the full size hybrid bikes better. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to work out the issue of transporting a bigger bike, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I think for our kayaking trips if I just take off the front wheel and put the bike on top of the other gear we will have packed in our van, it will probably fit.

So I'm really sorry to all on this forum for jumping the *** with my post. I certainly didn't see this turn of events happening as I really thought a folder was the right bike for me. I haven't purchased a hybrid yet, but will probably be doing so in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Quickbeams; 04-25-15 at 10:41 PM. Reason: post makes more sense with the word "***" actually included
Old 04-25-15, 10:43 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I guess they won't let me use the word "g" "u" "n" in a post. I don't mean it as in a *****, I mean it as in "jump the g-u-n"
Old 04-26-15, 01:06 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you try an airaminal, or montage they ride just like non folders. If folding is an advantage then I would still consider them. If you can get away without folding then it's a cheaper option. I used to keep a mountain bike in a narrow corridor in a terraced house. I made a hook and hung the bike with the front wheel removed and the bars turned so it was flush to the wall. Maybe that's all you need to do?
Old 04-26-15, 07:09 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 979 Times in 688 Posts
Even my TernJoeP24 rides just like a non-folding bike.
Old 04-26-15, 08:42 AM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
If you try an airaminal, or montage they ride just like non folders. If folding is an advantage then I would still consider them. If you can get away without folding then it's a cheaper option. I used to keep a mountain bike in a narrow corridor in a terraced house. I made a hook and hung the bike with the front wheel removed and the bars turned so it was flush to the wall. Maybe that's all you need to do?
Yes, I'm thinking I can get away without a folder. I'm going to try and get out today and have another look at a couple of the full size hybrid bikes I test rode yesterday. I'm also going to take a quick trip up to our cabin tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I can make the non folder work. The bigger issue will be getting the bike in our car (a Mazda 5 van) when we go on our kayaking trip. We will have 2 kayaks on top of the car with all our kayaking gear inside. Will also have my paddle board and all kinds of other things in the car. Getting the bike in the car is going to be the tough part. I quickly realized though, that while a folder is definitely smaller, when it's folded it is wider than a full size bike. As I said in my earlier post, I'm thinking if I remove the front wheel and just lay the bike in on top of all our gear I'm hoping it will fit.
Old 04-26-15, 08:51 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Quickbeams,

Most bikes are made from aluminum which is stiff ( not comfortable ), folders have smaller frames and small wheels which are stiffer ( less comfortable ). Hence they require suspension more than a standard size bicycle. That's why we put suspension on all our bikes ( except the super compact mini ) and our full suspension has been our best seller since day 1.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 04-26-15, 08:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Basically what size and weight you are, with a typical folding bike does not matter as there is still only 1 frame size per Model manufactured, anyhow.

Oregon made Bike Friday is the only one making folding bike frames in More than 1 size.

the fold in the middle bikes are wider folded..

the Brompton fold is narrower. rear wheel folds under, frontmost hinge folds the front wheel back, over the drivetrain..
Old 04-26-15, 11:38 AM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Quickbeams,

Most bikes are made from aluminum which is stiff ( not comfortable ), folders have smaller frames and small wheels which are stiffer ( less comfortable ). Hence they require suspension more than a standard size bicycle. That's why we put suspension on all our bikes ( except the super compact mini ) and our full suspension has been our best seller since day 1.

Thanks
Yan

Thanks Yan,
Yours is definitely one of the folders I would have considered had I decided to go that route.
Old 04-26-15, 11:40 AM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Basically what size and weight you are, with a typical folding bike does not matter as there is still only 1 frame size per Model manufactured, anyhow.

Oregon made Bike Friday is the only one making folding bike frames in More than 1 size.

the fold in the middle bikes are wider folded..

the Brompton fold is narrower. rear wheel folds under, frontmost hinge folds the front wheel back, over the drivetrain..

Yes, I knew the Brompton folded narrower although from what I could tell there seems to be a lot of strong opinion both in favour and against the Brompton. The way it folds however, is one of the reasons I was so intrigued by the not yet in production Helix. I still think the Helix will be a fascinating bike if it ever gets to production.
Old 04-26-15, 04:29 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is the folding bike thread, so I'll keep this really short. Just wanted to let you know that I just purchased the Giant Roam 1. I've paid for it, just need to go pick it up in an hour. Am pretty excited! Thanks again for the replies to my initial post.
Old 04-26-15, 04:37 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Folding bikes have several uses that aren't apparent when you first buy them. I frequent use mine in a number of situations that wouldn't work with a non folder.
For instance :
I meet my family in the car park to do shopping having biked there while they go in the car. No way would 4 people and the shopping be accommodated with a non folding bike.
I frequent take 3 or 4 folders in the car.
It also opens up opportunities to take some exercise when taking children to events, opens up car parks further away from cities for commutes.....

I rarely put a folder in the car to go somewhere to ride, which seems an obvious usage other than commuting.
Old 04-26-15, 06:02 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Quickbeams
I know this is the folding bike thread, so I'll keep this really short. Just wanted to let you know that I just purchased the Giant Roam 1. I've paid for it, just need to go pick it up in an hour. Am pretty excited! Thanks again for the replies to my initial post.
That's a nice bike. I think you'll be fine transporting it in your Mazda 5.
Old 04-26-15, 11:27 PM
Quickbeams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Joe.