Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to Bikes, need an Appraisal!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 03:19 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi:

I'm completely new to the world of biking. After doing a lot of research and checking out various bike stores, I think I've located what I'm looking for.

I am looking to buy a road bike to be used to commute to work (3.5 miles one way). The commute is on a straight shot down a major road that has a dedicated bike lane.

I have found a 2005 Trek 1500 road bike with mostly 105 components. I believe this bike will offer some room for growth should I continue to pursue riding as a more serious hobby. I don't want to break the bank and am looking to spend <$500.

The bike is practically brand new (less than 100 miles).

I've offered $450, but was wondering if any of the more experienced bikers here think it's a good price for a bike of this age.

Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks!

Full specs:
Frame: 54cm Alpha SL aluminum
Fork: Bontrager Race Carbon
Wheels: Bontrager Select
Front: 20 spoke radial laced; Rear: 24 spoke
Bontrager 700x25 tires
Shifters: Shimano 105
Front derailleur: Shimano 105
Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Crank: Bontrager Race 52/42/30
Cassette: Shimano 12-26, 9 speed
Crank arms: Bontrager 170mm
Pedals: Shimano road

Handlebar: Bontrager Aluminum
Brakeset: Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano 105 STI levers

This includes the Trek Incite 6i cyclometer, frame pump and saddle back bag.
Old 04-27-15, 03:30 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's in the ballpark. Maybe a touch high, but not if the 100 miles is accurate.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-27-15, 03:38 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$450 is fair, but on the high side. $350 would be good here in Los Angeles.
Old 04-27-15, 03:38 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really appreciate the quick response.

I'm in the middle of setting up an appointment to check the bike out. I believe it is very lightly used, but should know once I see it.

I have no issues with paying slightly more; I just wanted to be sure I wasn't way out of the ballpark.

What are the disadvantages of buying a 2005 bike? 10 years seems like a long time so I'm guessing a lot of the technology has changed over the past decade?

I'm really excited about getting into cycling!

Cheers,
Old 04-27-15, 03:58 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klystomane

I'm in the middle of setting up an appointment to check the bike out. I believe it is very lightly used, but should know once I see it.

I have no issues with paying slightly more; I just wanted to be sure I wasn't way out of the ballpark.

What are the disadvantages of buying a 2005 bike? 10 years seems like a long time so I'm guessing a lot of the technology has changed over the past decade?

Cheers,
Just make sure the bike is the correct size, is a good fit, and is adjusted properly for you.

Good Luck.

GH
Old 04-27-15, 03:59 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

Cheers,
Not really, and none if all you are doing is using it for commuting. 105 and Ultegra was good stuff 10 years ago, and is still good today. You have 9 speed shifters, where as today your higher end road bikes all have 10 or 11 speed. You have a road triple, where as today, most upper end road bikes have a compact double.

The only question I have is, using low spoke count wheels for commuting. you might want to consider switching to something a bit more durable, like a 28 spoke front wheel and a 32 spoke or higher spoke count rear wheel if you really plan to use this bike regularly for commuting.
Old 04-27-15, 04:08 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that I should consider switching to wheels that have more spokes so that they're more durable?

If so, would it be more worth it for me to buy this bike (assuming it's in good condition) and swap out the wheels, or continue my search? I'm not familiar with the price of wheels.
Old 04-27-15, 04:21 PM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You might be fine with those wheels, it depends on the condition of your roads. If your in NY, Chicago, etc., you might want something more durable. You're looking at a 54cm so I'm guessing your a 'lil guy and not a 250lb clydesdale so that probably helps you too. If you did bend a wheel, commuter wheels aren't expensive.
Old 04-27-15, 04:26 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eh, not that important right now. Sure there are better wheel choices (with more spokes) for commuting...but it's not worth the effort/cost if the current wheels are in working condition. That said, be sure to spin both wheels watch very closely near the brake pads. Do the wheels run 'true' or do they wobble in and out in relation to the pads? That's worth checking when you inspect the bike - 'cause wheels can get spendy and you'd possibly need to re-think your offer if they are badly out of whack.

Old 04-27-15, 04:28 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 5'9" and weigh 150lbs.

I THINK I'm sized for a 54cm bike, but possibly a 56....

I did try a Fuji and Specialized 56cm and found them to be too big though.

I'm in Northern California and the condition of the roads I plan on riding on are all quite pristine.
Old 04-27-15, 04:32 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
54cm sounds pretty good and those wheels should be fine for you (if in good condition). When do you check it out?

Old 04-27-15, 04:38 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will be checking it out tomorrow.

Are you referring to the wheels being in good condition? How do I know if they are? The wobbling? Tire tread? Rust?
Old 04-27-15, 04:47 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you referring to the wheels being in good condition? How do I know if they are? The wobbling? Tire tread? Rust?
If worst comes to worst, meet the seller at a LBS, and pay them for a "safety inspection". They can tell you what shape the bike is in.

GH
Old 04-27-15, 04:53 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a good idea. I will Google some LBS around here.

Sort of an "after I buy" question, but what do I need in terms of shoes? I don't know how serious I'll be at first, so I'm thinking just shorts and a t-shirt when I go to work; I can change once I get to the office.

But how about shoes? Can I wear regular running shoes for a road bike at the start?
Old 04-27-15, 04:59 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I would offer less. Unless by norcal you mean SF, in which case used bike market might be higher. As was stated earlier, down here in LA you could probably get that bike for $350

Bike technology has not changed much in past 10 years or 100 years. The only major innovations in past 100 years were gears and brifters and that bike has both.
Old 04-27-15, 05:10 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

We are just talking wheels here, right? A true wheel spins freely without wobbling. And the rims have plenty of braking surface left, which they should if the bike has only 100 or so miles on it. Alloy wheels don't rust.

As for tires, after 10 years, they might be dry rotted, or they might be OK. Not a big deal, but another thing to look at.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-27-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 05:38 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it were me, I'd be looking to pay closer to $350, than the Asking $500.

Reasons?

For commuting, heavier duty wheels will withstand daily use better. How much heavier? I'm conservative, and would be more comfortable on 32 spoke wheels front and rear. Expect to pay at least $50-$75 for a pair of decent used wheels off Craigslist (I bought four pairs of wheels last year from CL Sellers for between $10-$50 a set, but don't expect to do that well).

The bike is 10.5 years old, even if it was only ridden 100 miles in that time, it will need to have the bearings greased, and the cables adjusted. Can you do this yourself, or will you be paying an LBS $100-$150 to service the bike?

The tires will be aged at 10 years, and should be replaced if you are planning on commuting on the bike daily. Figure at least $50, and as much as $150-$175 for tires and tubes, with labor to install being another $30-$40.
Old 04-27-15, 06:07 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The bike is fine, and it will commute just fine imho. It's priced slightly high, but it's cycling so you get to pay more than you should for everything anyhow. Getting a fitting would be a good idea.
Old 04-27-15, 09:55 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm about an hour away from SF...I looked at SF listings too and they were pretty steep.
Old 04-27-15, 11:29 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really Roadguy? $150 service. Pushing the buyer towards 32h wheels when they only weigh 150. Labor to install tires. Stop already...
Old 04-28-15, 05:29 AM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Unless it's been exposed to the elements, a little-used bike will still be fine at age 10. The components, including the wheels, were fine in 2005 and are fine today. Otherwise I guess my 2007 with a lot more than 100 miles would have asploded by now.

You don't need special wheels to commute at 150 pounds.

Look at the tires and brake pads, and apply some chain oil. Now we can discuss which chain oil to use.

That bike is fine for commuting 35 miles a week as planned and is fine for plenty more miles. This is a bike that people on BF are always telling people to buy instead of buying a cheap new bike from the store or online.

Is it worth $350 or $450? How much is it worth to you to close the deal if the bike checks out okay, versus continuing to look? That depends in part on how easily you can substitute a different deal, and partly on how valuable starting to ride is to you.
Old 04-28-15, 06:14 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I weigh 170 and commute on 24/20 spoke wheels with 700x23 tires in an urban area with questionable roads and have no issues
Old 04-28-15, 09:14 AM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm looking at the right kind of bike then; I've had numerous people tell me that I'm better off spending some money on a used road bike such as this vs a new hybrid or even more on a new, lower end road bike.

I'm not too picky about the $50-100 difference, as long as it's in good shape. From what I've seen so far in my area, <$500 bikes are in rough shape, and anything half decent is at least $800+.

I'm actually more like 145 pounds...I'm like a feather lol.

Would you recommend I take the bike to a LBS for a tune up/adjustments after I buy it? How much should I expect to have to pay for that?
Old 04-28-15, 02:05 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought of another important question...

Would it be possible to install fenders on this bike?

Where I am it's mostly dry and hot, so I don't really expect to need them, but I'd like for it to be an option, just in case.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-15, 10:12 PM
Klystomane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled the trigger...the bike was in pretty good shape (I think) so I bought it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.