Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Cheater

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 09:17 AM
BrockLee
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheater

I gotta admit, I'm not an electric bike guy... or a gasoline powered bike guy. I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday, in my car, and some dude rode by on a gas powered bicycle. I yelled out, "Cheater!" sorta under my breathe.

Just thought it was kinda funny and thought I'd post it here. Anyway...
Old 04-01-15, 12:33 PM
Rainer1Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockLee
I gotta admit, I'm not an electric bike guy... or a gasoline powered bike guy. I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday, in my car, and some dude rode by on a gas powered bicycle. I yelled out, "Cheater!" sorta under my breathe.

I just joined here and will be getting a kit for my bike. Because I now have a bad knee and can't peddle the way I use to ,so an E bike will be great for my commute to work.

My point to you is..some of us still want to bike ,but can't due to injuries.

That being said, I want an E kit that will let me pedal manually when I'm able to and use the E assist when needed.

PS: Now back to my research
Old 04-01-15, 01:34 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've humbled me, Rainer1. It happens all too often that I speak before I think.
Originally Posted by Rainer1Rocks
My point to you is..some of us still want to bike ,but can't due to injuries.
Old 04-01-15, 03:47 PM
Rainer1Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've humbled me, Rainer1. It happens all too often that I speak before I think.
No problem BrockLee, I wasn't pissed . I just figured I'll let you know not all of us are lazy cheaters

PS: I'm sure there are some lazy peeps out there . As for people like me you would never know I have a bad
knee by looking at me.

Take care and be well

Peace !
Old 04-01-15, 04:25 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
Hey BL, I'm not really an ebike guy either but wanted to learn about the technology (which is pretty fascinating) in order to build a BMX fat ebike for my granddaughter (see Mongoose Massif for the chassis), so built one for myself first. Still ride the same amount on my mountain bike, but the ebike is fun once a week or so (I use the motor for flats and pedal the hills). If you ever get a hankering, try it and maybe be surprised.
Old 04-01-15, 07:31 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Cheating, what is cheating?... Well, unless you are riding a non-geared bike everything else is cheating... Even then, riding a 20Lbs bike compared to a 15Lbs bike is considered cheating by some, and so on, 3 speed, 10 speed 27 speed, drop bar. I'm sure there are some rules in real racing where 1 Oz lighter and you are disqualified...
Old 04-02-15, 12:24 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Leaving work one day I teased a coworker who pulled up next to me on an e-bike of being a cheater. A week later I walked in an e-bike out of curiosity, took few test rides and a month later I had one. I'd probably still call a gas powered bike a cheater but not a pedelec (they still require effort). It's made the commute fun again and leaves time for the real bike on weekends. I had almost quit riding for fun.
Old 04-02-15, 01:09 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, that is the problem. They are just fun.

I ride my pedal geared bike (or the non geared bike) 90% of the time, but the e-bike is just fun. Its great for commuting after I have pedaled a couple hundred miles on the weekend. ;-)
Old 04-27-15, 04:23 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
Well, that is the problem. They are just fun.

I ride my pedal geared bike (or the non geared bike) 90% of the time, but the e-bike is just fun. Its great for commuting after I have pedaled a couple hundred miles on the weekend. ;-)
Agreed... my ebike (pedelec) is my work transportation, at the end of a 12hr night shift i'm not doing a few of those big hills willingly.. I've got my non-electric for fun & weekends..it's also a work horse for groceries and stuff when i need it though.
Old 04-28-15, 02:03 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAA! You were in your CAR... and you yelled "cheater" to the guy on a bike???

I passed a roadie on a hill the other day. He yelled "cheater" to me since I was riding my electric bike... I yelled back to him... "slow!" Whatever, it's all in fun. Full disclosure - I have a car and I have a road bike, too. (as well as a 50cc scooter - for big time cheating days.)

Last edited by InTheRain; 04-28-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 05:50 PM
donheart2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am getting my new ebike this week and I can't wait! Did you ever consider that the guy on the gas powered bike or the ebike might be the only vehicle they have?

I think that ebikes are a great way to go. I already have the bags and rack to fit my new Equalizer Fat ebike and I haven't even gotten it yet. I plan to use my car a lot less and get out on this bike a lot more. As it is I get out on my bike maybe twice a week. I am sure that I will get out more then that and pedal too. I think in the long run I will get more exercise on the ebike then in the past riding my regular bike.

Whatever you do enjoy and be happy.
Old 04-28-15, 06:14 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by donheart2015
Whatever you do enjoy and be happy.
This says it all!!!
Old 04-29-15, 02:00 PM
The_Equalizer

Bikes: Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get called a cheater sometimes, makes me feel alive... cause I'm still riding after all these years and I absolutely love my ebike. The first time I rode one I was hooked, spoiled & revitalized. I was nearing my exit to cycling and now I pedal like a young man again.
Proud Cheater of old age that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E-bikes Rock!
Old 05-01-15, 12:04 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got me there. Somehow, I failed to see the real irony in my statement seeing as how I was driving a car at the time. :-)
Originally Posted by InTheRain
You were in your CAR... and you yelled "cheater" to the guy on a bike???
Old 05-02-15, 02:56 PM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about those guys who wear nut huggers riding their cf bikes calling ebike riders cheater??
Old 05-04-15, 01:20 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Originally Posted by vincent713
What about those guys who wear nut huggers riding their cf bikes calling ebike riders cheater??
I think there is room for everyone. I enjoy driving my care, riding me ebike, and riding my carbon fiber bike.
Old 05-04-15, 01:24 PM
GZ99

Bikes: 22" Airborne Seeker 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motoped

^^^^ I want one of these!
Old 05-04-15, 03:46 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GZ99
Motoped

^^^^ I want one of these!
Are you bowlegged? Looks like one needs to be if you actually do pedal...
Old 05-04-15, 07:55 PM
vincent713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there is room for everyone. I enjoy driving my care, riding me ebike, and riding my carbon fiber bike.
I agree that there are plenty of room for all types of riders but I can't stand all the name calling against ebike riders. I find those name calling people very obnoxious, egotistical who "think" they are so fit that they are above everyone.
Old 05-14-15, 11:17 AM
dgk02

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But there isn't always room for everyone. Cities are crowded and roads were laid out long ago. We have car lanes and now we often have bike lanes. But people riding high-powered ebikes don't really belong in the bike lanes, which were designed for slower riding. I rarely ride my Ebike faster than 18 mph or so in the bike lane. People, cars, and non-ebikes don't realize how fast we can go and that creates dangerous situations. Sometimes non-ebikes go too fast for the situation as well.
Old 05-15-15, 04:36 PM
InTheRain

There is room for everyone. However, I don't suggest that ebike riders ride or build bikes that are outside of the legal limitations of their local jurisdictions. I think most of us make our commuting choices based on what is most comfortable for us. For me, at certain times I prefer the car (large loads, bad weather); sometimes the scooter (short distances, need to get their quicker, convenient parking); other times it's an ebike (rainy weather, need to carry rain gear/extra clothing); or the carbon fiber bike (beautiful weather, not carrying much of a load, or going on a club or distance ride.) If it's crowded, as you suggest, then I would prefer an ebike or bicycle. But then again, the "big city" for me that might be crowded is 60+ miles away... too far for scooter or ebike and neither is allowed on the freeway. So then it's the car or public transportation. If you don't want to restrict your travel... several different modes of transportation are more than likely necessary.
Old 05-16-15, 09:00 PM
BikeForMoi

Bikes: 2015 Easy Motion EVO Street

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a city style eBike and the maximum it can go is 20 mph and that's only if I really push those pedals hard and fast. I ride slower than the Lycra Lizards on their CF steeds, my speed averages around 14mph. The fact that I need pedal assistance to help me get up the rolling hills that abound in my area is just reality. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm happy to be able to ride a bike and enjoy it. I follow the rules and laws of my jurisdiction, don't cop an attitude, don't care what anyone else rides or doesn't ride, and am not in competition with anyone else.

Calling someone on 2 or more wheels of any kind a "cheater" is idiotic. Are little kids on training wheels "cheaters?" How about people in wheelchairs? Cheaters too? Using zero carbon footprint, getting exercise, leaving the car at home is something every cyclist should be celebrating. If you are a fan of cycling it should warm the cockles of your heart to see anyone on a bike regardless of whether you would personally ride that bike or not!
Old 06-06-15, 05:50 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Ya... when they found out my trailer had an electric motor, they called it a cheater. I ride a recumbent trike, I decided that if I was to continue touring I needed some assist. So the E-BOB was born, a 500W Crystalyte motor laced into the single 16" wheel of the BOB and voila the E-BOB. The 36V Lit-Ion battery was mounted to the trailer deck, still providing cargo space. Since 2010 I've toured with the E-BOB and have had a great time....But this year I've decided to go lighter and have removed the hub and battery. I've pared down the amount I used to haul (carried way too much, but why not) and am looking forward to riding a little slower with less weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10012349154_80318c0fdc_z.jpg (86.1 KB, 15 views)
result.jpg (40.0 KB, 15 views)
8091271572_c20a5949a8.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-20-15, 11:08 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cheating against what or whom?