Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing Chain Ring bolts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 01:41 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts

I bought a Raleigh Olympian that had spent some considerable time near the sea. Everything cleaned up well, but now I am trying to separate the chain rings. I soaked them with Liquid Wrench, waited a day and failed. I soaked them with PB Blaster, waited a day and failed.

At this point I am open to advice from anyone.
Old 05-09-15, 01:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,965 Times in 1,644 Posts
Chainring bolt sets are cheap enough to sacrifice. Plus you wouldn't want to reuse them with corrosion damage or rounded out hex heads.

The OD is 10mm, and the thread inside 8mm, so drill them out with anything in between, or a 5/16" since it's close enough. You can drill in slightly, and once through about 3mm or so, the front fact will pop off. Or you can drill from the back, where it'll be easier to follow the round vs. hex hole. All in all this is about a 5 minute job if you have a power drill.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-09-15, 02:01 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,097 Times in 726 Posts
Right tool for the job: https://www.parktool.com/product/chai...t-wrench-cnw-2
Old 05-09-15, 02:34 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I struggle with chainring bolts frequently. One of these days, I will buy one of these:

Amazon.com : Var Combined Tool for Chainring Bolts : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41uXVJv0imL._SX300_.jpg (12.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-09-15, 04:37 PM
Bob Pringle

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Park tool is possibly the most frustrating tool I own!
Old 05-09-15, 04:47 PM
on the path
Seńor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Pringle
It has been called the Worst Tool In The World. I have one too, and I shudder to think of the next time I have to use it..
Old 05-09-15, 05:12 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Pringle
Word! I detest that thing.

Now that VAR-brand tool, that one looks fantastic. Wonder if it would span around my bash guards.
Old 05-09-15, 05:56 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think I've held a cone wrench against those in the past. It's been a long time since I wore out a chainring.
Old 05-10-15, 11:42 AM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Word! I detest that thing.

Now that VAR-brand tool, that one looks fantastic. Wonder if it would span around my bash guards.
The VAR is nicer to use than the Park by a long shot but I don't think it's as "beefy" as one would assume.... I've had good luck grinding the tip of an old, large, screwdriver to a tight fit.
Old 05-10-15, 11:52 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

I bought the Park tool, and I must agree with those who said that it is terrible. I've always used a coin as my wrench in the past, but these fasteners are bonded by rust. I was trying to avoid drilling them out, but that looks like the only option. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-10-15, 12:15 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Drill 'em out and replace with Truvativ bolts. One side is 5mm and the other is 6mm. Life is much easier with these.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TRUVATIVE.jpg (18.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-10-15, 04:28 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Make sure to get a brand new high quality drill bit. Dip the tip of the bit in some oil before drilling. I use automatic transmission fluid or hydraulic oil for drilling.
Old 05-10-15, 05:32 PM
reptilezs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
drill it out or use an impact wrench
Old 05-10-15, 07:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

We've gone full circle. See post no.2 for suggestions on the drill size to use. As I posted back then, it's a simple straightforward 5 minute job with no serious complications.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-12-15, 09:57 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
I struggle with chainring bolts frequently. One of these days, I will buy one of these:

Amazon.com : Var Combined Tool for Chainring Bolts : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

For the price of one of those, you can get quite a few sets of 5/6mm chainring bolts...

Nice tool, but I'd rather rid the planet of those rubbish slotted nuts.
Old 05-12-15, 10:21 AM
FBinNY 

I rarely have issues with having to hold the slotted bolts. Most of the time, a bit of thumb pressure is all that's needed. If I need to hold them I use a modified screwdriver. They also make screwdriver style tools for this job, which IMO are easier to use than the flat tools.

One trick which makes holding the nut totally unnecessary, is to apply course lapping compound (or CF assembly paste) under the head. This binds the nut side to the inner ring so it won't turn easily, then use oil on the threads. I used to do this for the track, where chainring changes for the team were a regular occurrence (sometimes more than once a night on the same bike) and it made for fast one tool changes.

Old 05-13-15, 04:54 PM
dweenk

Well the chain rings are free. I had to drill them out - never underestimate the power of salt air to fuse steel parts (even plated parts).

As FBinNY said, it takes about 5 minutes. Now I have to clean up the badly oxidized crank arm, but that's a piece of cake.
Old 05-14-15, 03:37 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How appropriate, I think mine are starting to fail for the same reason. I sheared one last night at the end of my ride, thought maybe I had bent a chainring, which is still a possibility since I finished not really knowing the problem fully.

Now for the mechanic question, If one chainring bolt fails, I should replace them all, correct? My crank arm covers one of them, how can I remove that to replace it? I'm hoping it is something I can do without spending hundreds on tools (or taking into a shop), but at the moment it doesn't appear that way. If a picture is needed, I can post one when I get home just let me know.
Old 05-14-15, 04:40 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by snowman40
How appropriate, I think mine are starting to fail for the same reason. I sheared one last night at the end of my ride, thought maybe I had bent a chainring, which is still a possibility since I finished not really knowing the problem fully.

Now for the mechanic question, If one chainring bolt fails, I should replace them all, correct? My crank arm covers one of them, how can I remove that to replace it? I'm hoping it is something I can do without spending hundreds on tools (or taking into a shop), but at the moment it doesn't appear that way. If a picture is needed, I can post one when I get home just let me know.
What reason is that. Corrosion rarely causes the bolts to fail, just become impossible to remove. Other than that, they'll stay there forever, and most likely do a better job not getting loose than newly installed ones.

IMO- I can't see any reason to replace all because one failed. You do save by buying a set, but that doesn't mean you have to use them all together.

If you have a "blind" bolt, it might be bolted to the crank itself and will be different from the other 4. This is a plain stepped bolt, and is removed from the left. Don't lose or damage it because it's often as expensive as a complete set of 5 normal ones. It sometimes also requires a spacer, so don't drop or lose that when you remove the bolt.

Old 05-14-15, 05:04 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
What reason is that. Corrosion rarely causes the bolts to fail, just become impossible to remove. Other than that, they'll stay there forever, and most likely do a better job not getting loose than newly installed ones.

IMO- I can't see any reason to replace all because one failed. You do save by buying a set, but that doesn't mean you have to use them all together.

If you have a "blind" bolt, it might be bolted to the crank itself and will be different from the other 4. This is a plain stepped bolt, and is removed from the left. Don't lose or damage it because it's often as expensive as a complete set of 5 normal ones. It sometimes also requires a spacer, so don't drop or lose that when you remove the bolt.
So replace the missing one, and make sure the others are tight and don't lose that stepped bolt. Got it!

I'm not against replacing them, I just don't want to be on a longer ride and only have just made the turn for home and have one or more of the other 3 fail. It is a triple (from what I have seen, the steps aren't too different for double and triples, correct me if I am wrong), so it not like I'd be stranded, but it definitely will not make for a speedy trip home.