Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ceramic bottom bracket or RDR jockey wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 10:22 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I need to replace worn jockey wheels on my rear DR and it's also about time to replace my BB. My mechanic is touting some new, ceramic ball bearing jockey wheels and bottom bracket. Both seem impressively smooth on the 'ol spin test. But they're expensive, so I'd like to choose one or the other, not both.

To those who have tried this upgrade, if you had to choose one, would you upgrade your RDR jockey wheels or BB? Or does it not make sense to do only one, since the leaving the other as standard will negate the benefit? My inclination right now is to just do the BB since it supposedly lasts three-times longer than a standard BB, which would negate the cost.
Old 05-15-15, 10:32 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Hawk Racing makes non ceramic bottom brackets and jockey wheels that have virtually the same friction characteristics as ceramic ones according to Friction Facts. The price is much cheaper - at that rate, you could probably afford both the jockey wheel and BB replacement and have it be at top level performance. You don't need ceramic.

J.
Old 05-15-15, 10:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Ceramic ball bearings offer absolutely no advantage over stainless steel in bicycle applications. They are a rip off. Besides that the prices have been dropping like a stone in recent months. Even if you chose to use them, they shouldn't cost more than a couple times the steel ones anymore. Don't be a sucker. Stay with steel, stainless preferably.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-15-15, 10:47 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I saw a report, maybe on Friction Facts, that ceramic jockey wheels will save you about 10 seconds over the course of a century ride. I doubt that a ceramic BB would help very much more than that.
Old 05-15-15, 10:57 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a new mechanic. The one you have now cannot be trusted
Old 05-15-15, 11:13 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I just checked the Friction Facts report from 2013 and the difference between the most efficient and least efficient set of pulleys is 1.337 watts.

The least efficient were Shimano Acera pulleys at 1.37 watts. The CeraminSpeed Gr3 pulleys were 0.033 watts. The worse ceramic pulleys were the FSA Ceramic at 0.285 watts.

For comparison, Shimano DA used 0.181 watts. SRAM Force/Rival at 0.146 watts. Shimano Ultegra 0.607 watts.

The average difference between ceramic and steel bearings was trivial. The steel used 0.013 more watts.

Sleeve bushing pulleys were the worse at an average of 0.577 watts.

Home page Friction Facts
Old 05-15-15, 01:06 PM
Avispa

Bikes: Ax Lighntess Vial EVO D (+ Paduano Fidia)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you go ahead and buy very very good steel bearings with high grade bearing balls. I did not find ceramic BB to feel any better if compared to BB bearings with high quality steel balls.
There are good quality ceramic and steel, go for steel!

Btw, did that mech also tell yo that ceramic bearings need more maintenance? You also need to check if the races are a good quality with treatment so the ceramic balls will not wear the races. The ceramic bearings is more fragile if you get them dirty. So again, i would rather buy the better version steel bearings.

Last edited by Avispa; 05-15-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 06:38 PM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Find a new mechanic. The one you have now cannot be trusted
This
Old 05-15-15, 06:43 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I don't know which ones you're looking at but for SRAM, they recommend cleaning your (ceramic) BB at some ludicrous interval (every 100 miles? I did say ludicrous) which is just never going to be part of my bike maintenance strategy.

Save your money.
Old 05-15-15, 06:51 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
placebo bearings...
Old 05-15-15, 08:59 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Hawk Racing makes non ceramic bottom brackets and jockey wheels that have virtually the same friction characteristics as ceramic ones according to Friction Facts. The price is much cheaper - at that rate, you could probably afford both the jockey wheel and BB replacement and have it be at top level performance. You don't need ceramic.

J.
+1 Ceramic makes no difference. I replaced the bearings in a Campy UT crankset a few years ago. Perceived difference: Zero.
Old 05-16-15, 08:42 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Just light some of your money on fire. The reduced weight of the ash compared to intact paper money will provide more benefit than ceramic bearings.
Old 05-16-15, 02:40 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yet another "solution" in searchj of a problem that doesn't exist.

Time to learn to do your own work and ditch the idiot mechanic.
Old 05-18-15, 12:33 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Thanks. Very useful information. After doing some poking around of my own, I came to a similar conclusion. I also noticed in my initial post that I tossed my mechanic under the bus a bit. It's more that the LBS has been touting these while the mechanic is more agnostic about it. I'm just going to replace with stock SRAM wheels on the RDR, but I'll probably go with the Kogel BB since I need to replace the BB, anyway, and it comes with a two-year warranty and includes scheduled maintenance. Since I typically go through two BBs in a year (it's not much more $$ to replace a standard, press-fit BB as it is to service it), that upgrade makes more sense to me irrespective of friction savings.
Old 05-18-15, 01:57 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 BBs a year seems excessive to me, but I use Shimano Hollowtech II BBs, and live in a dry area. 40-50k miles is easy to get out them in my experience(but I weigh 170-180#s).

Maybe someday a better BB will be designed, but it doesn't sound like there's anything better available at this time.
Old 05-18-15, 02:39 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Having to change the bearings so often would not be acceptable to me. You don't even have to do that on a Walmart BSO, why should you have to do it on a real bike?
Old 05-18-15, 03:25 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
2 BBs a year seems excessive to me, but I use Shimano Hollowtech II BBs, and live in a dry area. 40-50k miles is easy to get out them in my experience(but I weigh 170-180#s)
What am I missing in knowing how to use up bike parts? I removed my Hollowtech II BB for the first time after 15,000+ miles and replaced with a new one I'd already bought. But I don't think the old one showed more wear than the brand new one. I was fishing to a solution to an occasional noise during rides. It wasn't the BB. So I don't expect to wear out two BBs in a year until I'm far exceeding 30,000 mpy.
Old 05-18-15, 11:14 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Athens80
What am I missing in knowing how to use up bike parts? I removed my Hollowtech II BB for the first time after 15,000+ miles and replaced with a new one I'd already bought. But I don't think the old one showed more wear than the brand new one. I was fishing to a solution to an occasional noise during rides. It wasn't the BB. So I don't expect to wear out two BBs in a year until I'm far exceeding 30,000 mpy.
I'm right there with you. I replaced a Hollowtech II BB after over 60k miles to eliminate a creak, but it was actually a headset bearing that was causing the problem.

I've never seen a better BB in my 35+ years of road cycling.
Old 05-18-15, 11:28 PM
Deontologist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As many sources say - the races in which the bearings live are usually not as smooth as the bearings themselves. Park Tool's website for one says this, and I'm inclined to agree with Park Tool as they aren't in the bearing business and seem to have a few knowledgeable mechs employed.
Old 05-19-15, 08:24 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on the Hawk BB. There a number of videos on You Tube, including mine, that show how easy it turns over. I also have the Hawk jockey wheels. Not just for the time savings - that would never matter to me, I am the limiting factor to my bike, but just because they are just beautiful bike jewelry - they just look so good when you are cleaning / looking over your bike. I will be doing another spin test video on the BB before I take it off my Bianchi Infinito frame after about a thousand miles. I bought a Serotta frame and the BB is going to be part of that build. Andy