Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 07:42 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Some people don't deserve nice things, smh
Ten seconds. That's all it would have taken.
Old 06-04-15, 07:44 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Having seen your set up what about custom?

TKP I think you should put your seatpost back the right way but turn the handlebars around.
Old 06-04-15, 07:45 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
TKP I think you should put your seatpost back the right way but turn the handlebars around.
He doesn't drink.
Old 06-04-15, 08:52 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
wolololo

Do they make carbon wheels for penny farthings?
Old 06-04-15, 09:26 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Having seen your set up what about custom? Tsunami bikes (aluminum and only aluminum) won't win art awards but they're solid, reliable, and blah blah blah. Cheap, toao, although you have to supply the fork (or he gets you one at his cost, which is nice).
Undoubtedly out of my price range... BUT the dudes that do fits here - Bicycle Fit ? Bicycle Ranch actually suggested a custom frame when they did a fitting for me years ago. So maybe if the lottery career path works out I'll do that.
Old 06-04-15, 09:32 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
The collective wisdom is that everybody thinks what they have is the best.

You've got a big cost range between those 3 bikes. If you're predisposed to the Cannondale, it's convenient that you could buy like 6 of them for the same cost as a Pinarello. I think I saw a Pinarello hanging in the window of People's Bicycle in Beacon. I was walking by with a colleague on the way to a coffee meeting and he said "they mean rich people's bicycle." On the third hand, I have a buddy who owns a Specialized shop...
Foil is awesome for sure, but just go get a Specialized. They're pretty good and everywhere, so people won't think you're pretentious.
Old 06-04-15, 10:57 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
I bought mine from Microsoft for $600, and it comes out to $730 after the extended warranties (include spill and drop coverage)

<specs deleted>
i'm amazed by $130 to insure a $600 item!

Originally Posted by mike868y
speaking of laptops...i think my trust 7+ year old macbook has finally bit the dust. thing's been a trooper. hopefully we get bonuses next week as expected so I can justify buying a new one.
i have a mid-2013 11" macbook air if it appeals to you and you want to stay with a macbook. it's been my favorite laptop ever. it was a backup machine and is in fantastic shape. wound up getting a newer MBA because i needed a slightly higher screen rez (i have to remote into some machines with large desktops). the form factor is amazing...for any time i had to travel with it.
Old 06-04-15, 11:01 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
After the latest crash I'm looking more seriously at new framesets. Considering Cannondale (Hi-mod/CAAD 10) Specialized (Venge), and Pinarello (Dogma). The major plus about the Cannondales are that their frame geometries match my current frame nearly exactly and also the Caad 10 is pretty cheap, but I'm open to putting other things between my legs too.

Hehe.

Anyway, what's the collective wisdom on this stuff?

I'd 41 this but I have no interest in a $10k Vanilla with super record and a triple.
may be wise to wait ~1 month to see what gets unveiled at the TdF. you may then get new product or old-and-immediately-useless frames a bit cheaper!

i like the venge (it's a bike), but i'd hold off on that one as it is overdo for a refresh, and my gut tells me specialized will aim to make it faster than the s5.
Old 06-04-15, 11:51 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
may be wise to wait ~1 month to see what gets unveiled at the TdF. you may then get new product or old-and-immediately-useless frames a bit cheaper!

i like the venge (it's a bike), but i'd hold off on that one as it is overdo for a refresh, and my gut tells me specialized will aim to make it faster than the s5.
New Tarmac is shaaaarrp. I am hoping for a reboot on the Venge for 2016, too.
Old 06-04-15, 11:54 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
New Tarmac is shaaaarrp. I am hoping for a reboot on the Venge for 2016, too.
paint, you mean? not much changed on it...if you were a size 56. the further from that, the bigger the difference.

i do like some of the new color schemes.

i know a new venge is in the works, just a question of when. i think if we do not see it under a rider 5 sundays from now, it's not likely to be in the MY2016 line-up.
Old 06-05-15, 12:04 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
paint, you mean? not much changed on it...if you were a size 56. the further from that, the bigger the difference.

i do like some of the new color schemes.

i know a new venge is in the works, just a question of when. i think if we do not see it under a rider 5 sundays from now, it's not likely to be in the MY2016 line-up.
Paint is cool, but it looks like the head tube is shaped a bit cleaner (and aero) while the seat tube top tube interface is cleaner, too.
Old 06-05-15, 12:06 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Paint is cool, but it looks like the head tube is shaped a bit cleaner, the seat tube top tube interface is cleaner, too.
yeah, but super minimal stuff overall. not something worth dropping one's SL4 for (esp if in a 56), but yes from a SL3 or prior (SL4 was a noticeable improvement on the 3 in many ways; SL2 to SL3 was some good, some bad IMO).
Old 06-05-15, 07:05 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Undoubtedly out of my price range... BUT the dudes that do fits here - Bicycle Fit ? Bicycle Ranch actually suggested a custom frame when they did a fitting for me years ago. So maybe if the lottery career path works out I'll do that.
I think he's up to $800-900 shipped, painted, your geometry, without fork. My first one in 2009 (order date) was $650, I told him he was charging way too little. Each time he's shipped next day USPS.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-05-15, 07:28 AM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
The Allez Comp Race is the value leader right now. It's incredible what you get for $2900 list.
Our team price list just came out and I am kicking myself for building my Allez instead of waiting a couple months and buying that instead.
Old 06-05-15, 07:28 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
My home is sorely in need of tech refresh, but it's kind of hard to justify as we're both ipad/iphone users primarily. My desktop was purchased in 2008, it's a core2duo with 4gb. It actually works quite well, but occasionally shows its age on more intensive activities. My laptop is a cheap netbook I got in 2010 and really struggles with even basic tasks, so I hardly use that. And my wife's macbook (from 08 or 09) is also showing its age. I would love a macbook air, and maybe it would motivate me to work on academic stuff outside the house more often, but I'm primarily a desktop/ipad guy at the moment
Originally Posted by mike868y
thanks for the info, i'll keep on eye on their refurb site. mostly interested in a 13" mbp. most of the specs are lost on me at this point (I used to be super into tech but at this point...meh), but I think the retina screen would be nice.
Mikey and Hub, I bought my last Macbook Air at Best Buy. I got an educators discount - if you have access to a .edu email address, you can sign up for monthly coupons. It cut $50 off the price. Then I used their 18 months, 0 percent financing option to pay it off. It's like $50 a month, which makes it really easy to justify buying.

After the latest crash I'm looking more seriously at new framesets. Considering Cannondale (Hi-mod/CAAD 10) Specialized (Venge), and Pinarello (Dogma). The major plus about the Cannondales are that their frame geometries match my current frame nearly exactly and also the Caad 10 is pretty cheap, but I'm open to putting other things between my legs too.
I've come to the conclusion that pretty much all high end frames are the same. Yeah, there are differences if you are considering and aero frame vs. non, and they do have slightly different geometries, but most are close enough that you can make them fit any rider. And to that end, I've just started going with whatever I can get the best deal on. That's how I ended up with an Argon 18 Gallium Pro. I got it at 35 percent off retail through my LBS sponsor. I also could have gotten an Evo through my contact at Cannondale, but I didn't like the paint jobs on the Evo, and after three Cannondales, I decided to change things up. If I had to replace the Argon, I'd go with another Cannondale or maybe a Giant - another LBS friend now carries Giant, but he is not yet able to sell anything from the "Advanced" line.
Old 06-05-15, 07:31 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hehe.

Anyway, what's the collective wisdom on this stuff?

I'd 41 this but I have no interest in a $10k Vanilla with super record and a triple.
If you want a used, but in good shape supersix in a 56 I've got one hanging on the wall in my basement. I'm thinking of either selling it or making it a loaner for friends with a flipped up stem and spd pedals. I think it would be happier with you.
Old 06-05-15, 07:32 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
In response to the toilet overflowing and flooding my office, we have a company here to clean things up. There are about a dozen super strong fans in and around my office. I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of a tornado. Everything on my desk is blowing around, and I'm running out of things to weight down stacks of paper.
Old 06-05-15, 07:43 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't be the dude who puts a round profile bar on an aero frame.

(You save more from an aero drop bar than from an aero frame)
Old 06-05-15, 07:54 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,011 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
In response to the toilet overflowing and flooding my office, we have a company here to clean things up. There are about a dozen super strong fans in and around my office. I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of a tornado. Everything on my desk is blowing around, and I'm running out of things to weight down stacks of paper.
Sounds like it's time to migrate to a paperless office (not that I ever could).

Old 06-05-15, 08:12 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Whatever you do, don't be the dude who puts a round profile bar on an aero frame.

I think I'm already that dude actually. I'm going to go reevaluate my life :-|
Old 06-05-15, 08:14 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doh, I went to register for the HC tomorrow and see that registration is closed and no day-of. Ugh, I sent an email with fingers crossed...
Old 06-05-15, 08:39 AM
ips0803

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he's up to $800-900 shipped, painted, your geometry, without fork. My first one in 2009 (order date) was $650, I told him he was charging way too little. Each time he's shipped next day USPS.
I think custom rock lobsters are also very attainable if he needs custom geo
Old 06-05-15, 10:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Doh, I went to register for the HC tomorrow and see that registration is closed and no day-of. Ugh, I sent an email with fingers crossed...
which one?
Old 06-05-15, 10:26 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
yeah they closed that really early. weird. not that i was going to do it.
Old 06-05-15, 10:30 AM
furiousferret

Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent

Its much better to be the dude that cites wind tunnel testing and how fast his bike is while riding in the hood with locked elbows...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.