Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 11:00 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Its much better to be the dude that cites wind tunnel testing and how fast his bike is while riding in the hood with locked elbows...
Riding on the hoods is plenty fast. Ask Iljo Keisse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZoYJkKbAc

It's that locked elbows, bolt upright part that'll get you, though.

Also of note, I produce more power on the hoods, as demonstrated by Mr. Keisse, than in the drops, and my torso is in the same position.
Old 06-05-15, 11:55 AM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out I have a cracked stay stay, thankfully my LBS recommended a guy who repairs carbon all the time. Dropped off the and I should have it back in a week. Looks like I'll be on the track bike this week and most likely racing on the velodrome Wednesday
Old 06-05-15, 12:02 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
who did you send it to?
Old 06-05-15, 12:24 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bee sting I got the other night has been swelling and the area has broken out into hives. It's incredibly itchy and uncomfortable. Probably the worst part about it is that because of it's location (upper, inner thigh), every time I scratch it, it looks like I'm going to town on my junk. This has resulted in a few awkward explanations to co-workers. This sucks!
Old 06-05-15, 01:32 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
which one?
Sunshine HC in Boulder

Last edited by beatlebee; 06-05-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 01:34 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
yeah they closed that really early. weird. not that i was going to do it.
Yup, I thought I read that registration was online only but up to 7 am the day of. (?)

I will likely take @rapwithtom 's suggestion and ride up a canyon to the Peak to Peak and get a big ride in, that is of course if this weather cooperates.

edit: Oh, and I received an email: denied!
Old 06-05-15, 01:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Edonis13
The bee sting I got the other night has been swelling and the area has broken out into hives. It's incredibly itchy and uncomfortable. Probably the worst part about it is that because of it's location (upper, inner thigh), every time I scratch it, it looks like I'm going to town on my junk. This has resulted in a few awkward explanations to co-workers. This sucks!
Benadryl.
Old 06-05-15, 01:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I have the opportunity to get a good deal on a Langster Pro frameset but no justification. It looks like the fork isn't drilled so I wouldn't feel comfortable using it on the street and I'm 3 hours from the nearest velodrome. But damn, it's sexy.
Old 06-05-15, 02:01 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
I have the opportunity to get a good deal on a Langster Pro frameset but no justification. It looks like the fork isn't drilled so I wouldn't feel comfortable using it on the street and I'm 3 hours from the nearest velodrome. But damn, it's sexy.
buy it.
Old 06-05-15, 02:14 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through a period of a few months where I got stung 6 times, all on rides, and each time the reaction was worse. Now I carry chewable benadryl with me and a penny. Not sure why, but apparently putting a penny on the bee sting site, after the stinger is removed, lessens the reaction. So far it's worked, I was stung a few weeks ago and had very little reaction. Benadryl also make a gel/lotion to rub on the sting/bite as well as taking it orally.
Old 06-05-15, 02:21 PM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Yup, I thought I read that registration was online only but up to 7 am the day of. (?)

I will likely take @rapwithtom 's suggestion and ride up a canyon to the Peak to Peak and get a big ride in, that is of course if this weather cooperates.

edit: Oh, and I received an email: denied!
Don't tell me you'd let a little tornado keep you from riding!
Old 06-05-15, 02:23 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by rideaz
I went through a period of a few months where I got stung 6 times, all on rides, and each time the reaction was worse. Now I carry chewable benadryl with me and a penny. Not sure why, but apparently putting a penny on the bee sting site, after the stinger is removed, lessens the reaction. So far it's worked, I was stung a few weeks ago and had very little reaction. Benadryl also make a gel/lotion to rub on the sting/bite as well as taking it orally.
I have a bee sting allergy such that now any sting causes anaphylaxis. So I have to carry around an Epi-pen and I have "bee sting allergy" on my RoadID. When I ended up in the ER, the doc asked me about the stings before the one that caused the big reaction. Each one of those was progressively worse and then the next one was the tipping point. You might want to talk to your doc about getting a Rx for an Epi-pen yourself.
Old 06-05-15, 02:25 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^x2. I carry one on me whenever I'm on the bike and it's noted on teh RoadID (although I keep it in my pocket now and not my saddle bag). Pulled out of a stage race mid TT after getting stung earlier this year and tried to find a hospital near Chowchilla (not easy).
Old 06-05-15, 02:29 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
I'm buying a TT bike this weekend
Old 06-05-15, 03:02 PM
Edonis13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bee sting allergy such that now any sting causes anaphylaxis. So I have to carry around an Epi-pen and I have "bee sting allergy" on my RoadID. When I ended up in the ER, the doc asked me about the stings before the one that caused the big reaction. Each one of those was progressively worse and then the next one was the tipping point. You might want to talk to your doc about getting a Rx for an Epi-pen yourself.
Hmm. So far, every sting I get has a worse and worse reaction. Although my last one a few weeks ago had no reaction, but I attribute that to the fact that it was on my nose and the stinger didn't penetrate very far because it was on the cartilage.
Old 06-05-15, 03:02 PM
Edonis13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I'm buying a TT bike this weekend
Whatcha gettin?
Old 06-05-15, 03:07 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Bmc tm01
Old 06-05-15, 03:23 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good reminder. I do have an epi-pen but I don't take it on rides. I probably should.
Old 06-05-15, 04:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I had the same thing in the same place. My leg had a grapefruit-sized swelling thing going on. It was unbearable. I got a prescription for a crazy anti-histamine that knocked me out harder than ambien ever did.
Old 06-05-15, 04:30 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone else have the mobile version of this site opening up the App Store without permission?
Old 06-05-15, 04:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
this reminded me of a certain place

https://i.imgur.com/zjW3t3B.gifv
Old 06-06-15, 06:11 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone here from Austin? I have to head down there for work in November and thinking of heading down early and bringing my bike...worth it?
Old 06-06-15, 06:37 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Anyone here from Austin? I have to head down there for work in November and thinking of heading down early and bringing my bike...worth it?
WR, but he's busy with real life I think. He and others have said Austin is great for cycling. I think RacerEx used to live there ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-06-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 10:40 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring the bike.
Old 06-06-15, 10:48 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Austin is a cycling town the way Chicsgo is a blues town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.