Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 03:19 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 88 Times in 54 Posts
I like everything about it except the neck/stem thing but I will reserve finally impression into I see in the flesh
Old 06-18-15, 03:22 PM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts
I like it, except the brifters are too high.
Old 06-18-15, 03:24 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I don't know if it's because everyone here hates it, or if I like it, but that venge gives me a little tingle.
More detailed, high quality photos at the following link:

New Specialized Venge prototype spotted | Cyclingnews.com
Old 06-18-15, 03:29 PM
furiousferret

Also, the brake fairing is a nice touch. My guess is Cervelo's next round will fear 24" inch brake that covers half the frame.
Old 06-20-15, 01:15 PM
Andy STi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a gravel race with a ton of climbing coming up and I need lower gears. Will a new Sram 22 rear derailleur work with a Sram 10sp front shifter? The actuation is the same.

I'm pretty sure they do but all I can find is about using it the other way around with a 10sp rear and an 11 shifter.
Old 06-20-15, 11:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 105 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I don't know if it's because everyone here hates it, or if I like it, but that venge gives me a little tingle.
+1

I'd totally take one for free.

We should ask that guy on our team who designed it for a pain sample frame or something!

The bars look all funky though.

my race videos
Old 06-21-15, 05:42 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The paint sample frames are usually 9r carbon, even the S-Works ones. Sizing is 56. If they did one in 58 I'd probably snag one anyway.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-21-15, 09:51 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy STi
I have a gravel race with a ton of climbing coming up and I need lower gears. Will a new Sram 22 rear derailleur work with a Sram 10sp front shifter? The actuation is the same.

I'm pretty sure they do but all I can find is about using it the other way around with a 10sp rear and an 11 shifter.
Ah, are you talking about the 4th of July thing over in Portland? (I'm heading over for it +8K in 85miles)
I can't quite tell - are you trying to use a 10s RH SRAM shifter w/ an 11s RD?
The way your post reads, I *think* that's what you are aiming for, but it also sounds like you are trying to link a 10s LH shifter w/ an 11s RD?

Checklist:
10s FD & a 10s LH shifter, w/ an 11s RD & 11s RH shifter - it'll all work together.
SRAM didn't change the cable pull from 10s to 11s, so it'll move the RD the same amount, just have to be more careful setting your gear up so you don't shift past your cog range.

I'm working on changing my gearing around for the 4th of July thing in portland, I'll likely drive over with an installed low of 34x28, but saw some used 10s SRAM mtb rd's at Gear Fix, and I'll probably take mtb RD/chain/cassette along in case the pre-drive looks like I should get a 34x32 setup. At least its easy w/ SRAM.

Last edited by Hida Yanra; 06-21-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 01:16 PM
Andy STi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Ah, are you talking about the 4th of July thing over in Portland? (I'm heading over for it +8K in 85miles)
I can't quite tell - are you trying to use a 10s RH SRAM shifter w/ an 11s RD?
The way your post reads, I *think* that's what you are aiming for, but it also sounds like you are trying to link a 10s LH shifter w/ an 11s RD?

Checklist:
10s FD & a 10s LH shifter, w/ an 11s RD & 11s RH shifter - it'll all work together.
SRAM didn't change the cable pull from 10s to 11s, so it'll move the RD the same amount, just have to be more careful setting your gear up so you don't shift past your cog range.

I'm working on changing my gearing around for the 4th of July thing in portland, I'll likely drive over with an installed low of 34x28, but saw some used 10s SRAM mtb rd's at Gear Fix, and I'll probably take mtb RD/chain/cassette along in case the pre-drive looks like I should get a 34x32 setup. At least its easy w/ SRAM.
It's for Crusher in the Tusher down in Utah.

I just went with a 10spd RD, was cheaper and easier.
Old 06-22-15, 04:47 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy STi
It's for Crusher in the Tusher down in Utah.

I just went with a 10spd RD, was cheaper and easier.
That's the kind of race USAC currently has no answer for. Mixed terrain. Big names. Sold out.
Old 06-22-15, 05:51 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usac should probably figure that out or they're going to watch their influence wane greatly
Old 06-22-15, 05:54 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We just had a similar race up in NorCal recently (Lost and Found). I didn't attend, but apparently it had a huge turnout with some big names and the the race is only in its second year. I will give it a whirl next year.
Old 06-22-15, 06:17 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then best cycling event I've ever participated in was one of these unsanctioned "gravel grinders"
Old 06-22-15, 06:19 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Usac should probably figure that out or they're going to watch their influence wane greatly
That assumes they had any to begin with.

Vermont Overland had over 250 participants in two fields and it's one or two years old.
Old 06-23-15, 06:17 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Venge: New Specialized Venge ViAS sets high bar for aero road | Cyclingnews.com

$5800 for the module... smileys fail me

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-23-15 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 06:52 AM
spdntrxi

^ yes ouch.. but there are so many specialized "bro" deals... the cockpit view is not bad.. the side view still blows but who cares if you are the one riding.
Old 06-23-15, 07:22 AM
spdntrxi

The brand new Specialized Venge ViAS of Peter Sagan - Tinkoff Saxo
Old 06-23-15, 07:40 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish SRAM would just release their wireless system already... (not that I'll be able to afford it)
The 'rules' say they have to release it for sale relatively soon, they've been using it in racing since January.

And I'm not sure whether I like the new Trek Madone better than the Venge. I'm curious to see what the Giant/Ridley/Focus response will be.
Old 06-23-15, 08:12 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much of an aero-weenie as I am I am getting to the point where this aero-integratedness seems a little over the top. From what I read about the VIaS it sounds like you will need to be VERY careful about picking out your frame, seat-post and handlebars so that you can keep your existing fit. There is a point of diminishing returns with aerodyanmics. YOu can only get something so aero before you need to make massive changes to get minimal gains.

It feels like we are at that point where the last crop of aero-road bikes (New S5, New AR, Propel, Aeroad) were at a sweet spot. THey had a definite improvement over a standard frame but still used standardized components. The numbers I am hearing from this venge are impressive, but they don't seem to show me that it is worth it. I think the numbers Specialized used were "The VIaS with CLX 64s is 120 seconds faster than a Tarmac with CLX 40s over 40k". To me that seems to indicate that the new VIaS gets you maybe 20-30 seconds faster than one of the previously mentioned bikes? A big deal, sure. But is it worth the extra hassle and expense to a consumer / racer?
Old 06-23-15, 04:11 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I agree, and while I think the technology behind it is super cool it risks making a sport where competitive edge can be measured in single digit percentages a game of who has enough money to buy all the aero gear. At the pro tour level this might not matter so much, but for a cat 4 or cat 5, especially juniors that may lack support, it's a ****ty thing to have to deal with.

Can Specialized save you five minutes over 40km? - VeloNews.com
Old 06-23-15, 04:49 PM
furiousferret

Cervelo's latest bike has most of it improvements via its airplane wing handlebars, which I could care less about. The handlebar accounts for 30% of the bikes drag, while the frame is only 17%. If I'm going to go hard on aero I don't want to know the bikes improvements, I want to know what the frame improves. Spend that kind of money and getting after market bars and wheels is nbd.

The body also accounts for about 80% of drag, so an aero frame is a 2-3% advantage. The margins are really small, the best thing to do is learn how not to be a windsail out there with your positioning.

I've never liked the xxx over 40k model they use. I'd rather see them use a model to show the wattage difference at xx speed (say, 30 mph). I'd also like to see how many inches you gain over 500m, or a sprint advantage....I suppose with time one could calculate that from 40k.
Old 06-23-15, 05:48 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
new venge looks a lot like the s5. i mean they share a lot of features that other aero bikes don't

it requires all the cables to be routed through the head tube, uses its own proprietary brakes, stems and steer tube spacers

there's a scale between pure performance and utility/user friendliness. while there are certainly performance gains, it's also a huge step back in terms of user practicality for the consumer.
Old 06-23-15, 05:50 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Cervelo's latest bike has most of it improvements via its airplane wing handlebars, which I could care less about. The handlebar accounts for 30% of the bikes drag, while the frame is only 17%. If I'm going to go hard on aero I don't want to know the bikes improvements, I want to know what the frame improves. Spend that kind of money and getting after market bars and wheels is nbd.

The body also accounts for about 80% of drag, so an aero frame is a 2-3% advantage. The margins are really small, the best thing to do is learn how not to be a windsail out there with your positioning.

I've never liked the xxx over 40k model they use. I'd rather see them use a model to show the wattage difference at xx speed (say, 30 mph). I'd also like to see how many inches you gain over 500m, or a sprint advantage....I suppose with time one could calculate that from 40k.
who said that?? the cross sectional area of the frame is wayy bigger than the handlebar.
Old 06-23-15, 06:13 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
$5800 for the module... smileys fail me

But it comes with brakes!
Old 06-23-15, 06:24 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by spectastic
who said that?? the cross sectional area of the frame is wayy bigger than the handlebar.
On Bicycles, and.... what else is there?: Cervelo S5 and the aero road bars
  • 1% – seatpost
  • 2% – rear brake
  • 3% – front break
  • 5% – rear wheel
  • 9% – drivetrain
  • 9% – bottle
  • 9% – fork
  • 16% – frame
  • 16% – front wheel
  • 30% – handlebar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.