Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Other people's locks on my bike.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Other people's locks on my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 03:14 PM
The Seldom Kill
imminent danger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stands are known as Sheffield Stands (in the UK) and the first point of contact to determine a local supplier should be the local authority. In London we, the London Cycling Campaign, have successfully campaigned to make these the standard and reccomended bicycle rack for a majority of boroughs in London. Any cosmetic variations designed to keep with local characteristics should match strength and installation integrity.

I would urge you to petition your local authority to include these stands as a requirement in any urban development governance documents as a key step in ensuring their proliferation.
Old 11-10-05, 11:40 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually it might have been an attempt to steal your bike! Another good reason to put your name or phone number in the seatpost.
Did the security guy demand ID or proof that it was your bike? (probably not) So the ploy is the same, theif calls security to cut the mystery lock, shows that their key fits their lock and wallah! Free bike and you don't have to bring your own tools.
Old 11-10-05, 11:55 PM
roadfix
hello

Liked 133 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieIG
What do you do when other people decide to help make your bike a little more secure by adding their lock to yours?
If they had anything more secure than a padlock I might still be there. What would you have done?
whipped out my BIC pen.
Old 11-11-05, 12:05 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
lol owned.
Old 11-11-05, 12:12 AM
gudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
I'd use a battery operated Dremel to cut through the guy's top tube and the bike rack. Much faster than attacking a good lock. If it's carbon you get through in seconds.
I like this idea best. i always wonder what a 12ga shotgun slug load will do to a bike's top tube. hmmm
Old 11-11-05, 07:04 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pipe cutter tool is a much quieter method of getting through the top tube, than a dremel or shotgun. It's also smaller than a hacksaw, and about as expensive.

You, uh, didn't hear that from me.
Old 11-11-05, 12:21 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes just to hassle bikers I hop out of my Hummer and place extra locks on a few bikes, then drive off leaking oil. Seriously that would likely really bug me. I'd try to pick the lock, (if it was a round type using a bic pen). Master locks, (mirror keyed) can be easy to pick with a special filed off key. Some locks you can break by hand. I'd love to be able to remove my bike and leave the other unlocked.

Of course how much of this problem is that the city or school has inadequate bike racks?
Old 11-11-05, 02:24 PM
sentinel

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Quick, vandalism is still a crime no matter how you wish to rationalize it.
Old 11-12-05, 01:49 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! This is one problem that I had no prior experience since few people ride around here (Los Angeles area). This is another unanticipated reason I am glad I switched to folding bicycles.