Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Well I finally figured how to ride with the pack !!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 05:43 AM
mrfreezesdefy3

Bikes: 2016 giant advanced carbon disc bike ,w HED belgiums,dt swiss 350 hubs,all new ultegra drive train etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been riding with a group on Wednesday evening for about 1.5 months now

My weight will make me faster on the down hill slopes n catch up to me on the last 3\4 of a hill but wed night I got in behind the pack n made up my mind I was gonna stay with them n just watched n followed ,it definately made it easier to pull a faster mph in the draft , I just wish I could follow them on major hills. And I did get to lead on a couple of good pulls a mile or more , but I figured out if I got tired just pull out to the left n fall back in the back n get a recovery draft ,I was just giving up n they'd all pass on the left ,glad I figured out to move left when tired , .looking forward to this wed ride again next week , any group riders got any pointers I'd appreciate it ,
Only thing that made me kind of hesitant is if I'm in the middle I watch the riders legs n wheel pedaling cause if u mistake n they stop you gonna plow into someone's back tire
Old 07-11-15, 05:58 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't necessary look at the rider's wheel in front fo you, look far, most times, it's not the guy in front of you that's gonna break first, it's the first guy of the group, if you can see him break from where you are, we win some precious reaction time. If you just look the tire in front of you, you won't get much time to react.
Old 07-11-15, 06:36 AM
Sidney Porter

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
In my observation heavier guys that say they catch the smaller riders on the decent often need to pedal to accomplish this. While the smaller riders are coasting and recovering. So the larger rider has even a harder time with the next climb since they have been working on the up and on the down hill. The fastest way up the hill might be to rest on the decent.
Old 07-11-15, 07:23 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You're right to watch the group and do what they do but generally if it's windy you want to pull off into the wind. If the wind is coming from the left side you would pull off left. This assumes there is enough room for the leading riders to echelon.

Also, like generalkdi mentioned, keep your vision up on the horizon and use your peripheral vision to maintain distance between yourself and the rider ahead.
Old 07-11-15, 07:25 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 941 Times in 622 Posts
Take shorter turns at the front. The bigger the group, the shorter the pull.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-11-15, 10:58 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
In my observation heavier guys that say they catch the smaller riders on the decent often need to pedal to accomplish this. While the smaller riders are coasting and recovering. So the larger rider has even a harder time with the next climb since they have been working on the up and on the down hill. The fastest way up the hill might be to rest on the decent.
Trust me, you catch smaller riders. To stay behind someone on a down hill I either have to feather the breaks or sit way up to catch the wind. If I stay in the drops I might as well move left because I'll be passing people.
Old 07-11-15, 11:04 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Same happens to me in descents and I am 145lbs. Draft > Weight.
Old 07-11-15, 05:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,353 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
That has not been my experience. I'm at 190 lbs in full kit and if I'm going downhill with a 150 lbs rider I don't have to pedal to pass him/her. But, as always, climbing is not my forte.
Old 07-11-15, 05:06 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
It seems like no one gets this on group rides. Recreational riders would do well to take 20-30 sec. pulls and get a chain gang going. It really is quite efficient.
Old 07-11-15, 05:11 PM
PepeM

On the group rides I've been to that never really happens. The strong guys stay up there for hours and the others never go to the front.
Old 07-11-15, 05:36 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
If we have a small group (3-4) we typically do a shorter pull to keep the pace up. Otherwise each rider will get toasted if the stay up front too long since they don't have much time for recovery.

If we have a larger group (8+) we typically do about 1 mile pulls. I've been with a few groups that like to do a constantly rotating pace line which moves along faster, especially in a headwind. As in any group you usually have stronger and weaker riders. The stronger ones often stay up front longer, while the weaker ones do shorter pulls, or a least we hope they do shorter pulls. It can get frustrating if a weaker rider stays up front and begins to slow down the pace too much.
Old 07-11-15, 08:01 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
That has not been my experience. I'm at 190 lbs in full kit and if I'm going downhill with a 150 lbs rider I don't have to pedal to pass him/her. But, as always, climbing is not my forte.
+1

Heavier on any decent bike will always descend faster. I always have to feather brakes or move out into the wind unless I'm on the front. If I'm on the front, I can leave people without ever turning the pedals. I'm 6'2" / 200lbs.

The climbs is where the featherweights leave me.
Old 07-11-15, 08:52 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 540 Times in 370 Posts
Don't watch the rider in front of you. Look ahead to see what the front of the group is doing. I'm kind of aware of the rider just in front even while looking farther ahead. You have to assume the riders are smooth and won't do anything too stupid, like swerving or sudden braking for no reason. And the riders behind you need the same competence from you.

Even the freewheel noise when riders stop pedaling can be disruptive. I have to suddenly pay attention to see if the group is slowing for some reason. Try to soft pedal instead of coasting. I often shift to my top gear so I can still slowly pedal when the group is on a slight downhill.

I've been behind riders that pedal a few fairly hard strokes, which causes them to close the gap to their rider in front, so they coast a few seconds, and repeat. Don't do that.

Of course, if you really are coasting on a steeper downhill or near a stop sign, that okay.

~~~~
A few more things on pulling the group:

You should know by now what signal your group riders uses when they want to pull off the front. I've seen 3 or 4 different methods used by different groups.

If you are pulling, you have to look way ahead for potholes or other obstructions. Start sliding over slowly way in advance. Never wait until the last seconds. This gives the whole group time to react and move over with you.

Don't hug the white line, move over to the left at least a foot or two. The rider right behind you will get a better draft.

Some groups call out every tiny hole or rough spot. It's better to ignore the little ones that won't cause a flat, just do the gradual slide over so the whole group misses the spot. And miss them by at least a foot or more, not an inch or two--that's good for solo riding only. But big tire eating holes need a vocal "Hole!" call to give the group a heads up.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-11-15 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 10:50 PM
kankushok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Don't watch the rider in front of you. Look ahead to see what the front of the group is doing. I'm kind of aware of the rider just in front even while looking farther ahead. You have to assume the riders are smooth and won't do anything too stupid, like swerving or sudden braking for no reason. And the riders behind you need the same competence from you.
What happens if the guys in front of you are way taller and you can't see past them?
Old 07-12-15, 04:03 AM
mrfreezesdefy3

Bikes: 2016 giant advanced carbon disc bike ,w HED belgiums,dt swiss 350 hubs,all new ultegra drive train etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually about 15 to 25 riders in my group ,
And I just pull out n pass on big hills then as we hit the top we kinda all group up again , if it's a big hill I'll ride in the rear of the pack while I recover then step up when n if a gap opens n slight hills I might run up front for a while then when I tire I'll pull out to the left , but at 270 lbs n most of this crews 150 soaking wet to 200 I'm at a disadvantage, but on the flats I rule till about mile 25 of 30 rides then I'm just trying to hang with their draft
Old 07-12-15, 06:38 AM
PepeM

Originally Posted by kankushok
What happens if the guys in front of you are way taller and you can't see past them?
You move a bit to the side.
Old 07-12-15, 08:03 AM
bruce19

Even the freewheel noise when riders stop pedaling can be disruptive. I have to suddenly pay attention to see if the group is slowing for some reason. Try to soft pedal instead of coasting. I often shift to my top gear so I can still slowly pedal when the group is on a slight downhill.

I've been behind riders that pedal a few fairly hard strokes, which causes them to close the gap to their rider in front, so they coast a few seconds, and repeat. Don't do that.

Of course, if you really are coasting on a steeper downhill or near a stop sign, that okay.

~~~~
A few more things on pulling the group:

You should know by now what signal your group riders uses when they want to pull off the front. I've seen 3 or 4 different methods used by different groups.

If you are pulling, you have to look way ahead for potholes or other obstructions. Start sliding over slowly way in advance. Never wait until the last seconds. This gives the whole group time to react and move over with you.

Don't hug the white line, move over to the left at least a foot or two. The rider right behind you will get a better draft.

Some groups call out every tiny hole or rough spot. It's better to ignore the little ones that won't cause a flat, just do the gradual slide over so the whole group misses the spot. And miss them by at least a foot or more, not an inch or two--that's good for solo riding only. But big tire eating holes need a vocal "Hole!" call to give the group a heads up.
+1

Yesterday I found myself on the wheel of a very strong rider who would pedal and coast, pedal and coast. Drove me nuts. Finally. later in the ride, I was behind one of our ex-racer guys who was behind this guy. At one point we both found ourselves braking abruptly because of the inconsistency of that guy. The rider behind me said, "I almost hit your wheel." I had to explain to her what had caused the whole thing. It really isn't worth the risk of riding behind people like that.
Old 07-12-15, 08:57 AM
mrfreezesdefy3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually about 15 to 25 riders in my group ,
And I just pull out n pass on big hills then as we hit the top we kinda all group up again , if it's a big hill I'll ride in the rear of the pack while I recover then step up when n if a gap opens n slight hills I might run up front for a while then when I tire I'll pull out to the left , but at 270 lbs n most of this crews 150 soaking wet to 200 I'm at a disadvantage, but on the flats I rule till about mile 25 of 30 rides then I'm just trying to hang with their draft
Old 07-12-15, 10:11 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
+1

Yesterday I found myself on the wheel of a very strong rider who would pedal and coast, pedal and coast. Drove me nuts. Finally. later in the ride, I was behind one of our ex-racer guys who was behind this guy. At one point we both found ourselves braking abruptly because of the inconsistency of that guy. The rider behind me said, "I almost hit your wheel." I had to explain to her what had caused the whole thing. It really isn't worth the risk of riding behind people like that.
It's worth trying to explain to this rider that their pedal/coast effort is causing the yoyo effect for everyone behind them. This inconsistency is frustrating and makes the ride a bit dangerous for those not paying close attention. If this rider doesn't stop the coasting and surging, then you should give some distance to allow him to coast without affecting your pace. A few feet will help to smooth out the pace for you and everyone behind you, and you don't lose much benefit of the draft.
Old 07-12-15, 01:44 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
One other thing to remember if the group is small and fast is to pull off while you still have some energy to get back on. That's another reason for the short pull in a small group.
Old 07-12-15, 03:53 PM
mrfreezesdefy3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThisThis am we rode 32 a group of 7 guys n I couldn't get them to pack up for nothing at 1 pt there were 3of us that packed up n swapped out pulling n we ran about a 6 mile train and left the others behind that was fun
Old 07-12-15, 07:59 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wha??
Old 07-12-15, 08:23 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfreezesdefy3
ThisThis am we rode 32 a group of 7 guys n I couldn't get them to pack up for nothing at 1 pt there were 3of us that packed up n swapped out pulling n we ran about a 6 mile train and left the others behind that was fun
English?
Old 07-13-15, 04:05 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
English?
Yesterday this poster and 7 guys rode 32 miles. The group wouldn't stay together ("pack up") so the poster and two others left the group behind.
Old 07-13-15, 04:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
You move a bit to the side.
Except there seems to be two issues with this -- 1) if everyone in the line followed this, you end up with a paceline extending further and further out from behind the lead -- either off the shoulder of the road or into the center of the road. 2) you open yourself to being presented with a bad road issue (eg. pothole) that while the lead rider may have avoided, you will not since you're riding to the side of his line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.