Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flappy jersey: just how much do they effect performance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 11:55 PM
Dreww10

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

So I've got a shop kit that I wear routinely that's very tight and form-fitting in the stomach, but because it's cut for a individual with a muscular chest, back, and shoulders (which is not me) it has some material that flaps in the wind at the chest and particularly at the tops of my shoulders (not so much that you can actually hear it flap, just feel it). I have no way to really scientifically compare it to another jersey, but it got me curious just how much I might be giving up by wearing it.

Of course, everyone knows that an oversized jersey that's big everywhere like a trash bag does nothing but harm performance, but what about a jersey with some flap only at the widest part of the body? How might it effect a TT and everyday riding outside of a draft? I guess my main mission is to determine if I should save the flappy jerseys for recovery rides, and find more form-fitting wares for when I want to TT, sit up front on a group ride, or toy with Strava. Or if it just really doesn't matter, as long as it's close to form-fitting.
Old 07-14-15, 12:11 AM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you know the answer.
Old 07-14-15, 12:39 AM
Dreww10

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thirstyman
you know the answer.
No, I don't, or I wouldn't have asked.
Old 07-14-15, 01:29 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNGQLi36xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p8SdRRe1fo

also, get a skinsuit for racing
Old 07-14-15, 04:43 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
I have no way to really scientifically compare it to another jersey...
Neither do we.

Just ride, my friend...just ride.
Old 07-14-15, 05:58 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
You will get to the coffee shop 4.2 seconds later than everyone else.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-14-15, 06:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Take the jersey to a tailor and have the top part fit?
Old 07-14-15, 06:14 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
For a time trial? It probably will affect your time a bit. If you are serious about time trialing you probably want an aerosuit. For sitting up in front of a group ride? Why would you even care? As for Strava, aren't most of the segments like ten meters long? Unless you are 0.0002 seconds behind the leader and you really want to beat him, then it won't be an issue.
Old 07-14-15, 06:18 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Spend some time with Aerolab in Golden Cheetah and report back.
Old 07-14-15, 06:33 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seriously?
About the same effect on performance as untrimmed nose or ear hair.
Assuming ofc that you have already shaved off your eyebrows as mandated by the cult leader

Last edited by bakes1; 07-14-15 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-15, 06:37 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shaving your eyebrows would help compensate for the fabric flapping lost speed.
Old 07-14-15, 06:49 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About twice as much as you can feel, maybe? As long as you can't feel or hear a difference, it probably isn't making a difference. But imagine the energy being used to flap the fabric, cause a buzzing noise, tug on your chest as the fabric billows behind you or whatever. How much energy would you have to expend to make it do that if you weren't moving along on your bike? All that energy is going the opposite way you want it to go.
Old 07-14-15, 06:53 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
For a time trial? It probably will affect your time a bit. If you are serious about time trialing you probably want an aerosuit. For sitting up in front of a group ride? Why would you even care? As for Strava, aren't most of the segments like ten meters long? Unless you are 0.0002 seconds behind the leader and you really want to beat him, then it won't be an issue.
No. Not sure where you are, but around here the shorter ones are about a mile, plus or minus. Some of the local segments are 6,7 miles and longer.
Old 07-14-15, 06:54 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I don't use Strava but when I had a quick look most segments I saw seemed fairly short, or at least considerably shorter than a 40k time trial.
Old 07-14-15, 07:22 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I don't use Strava but when I had a quick look most segments I saw seemed fairly short, or at least considerably shorter than a 40k time trial.
The segments are user created so it depends on the users in the area.
Old 07-14-15, 08:44 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
I have no way to really scientifically compare it to another jersey
Neither do we.
Hmmm. I do.
Old 07-14-15, 08:53 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Hmmm. I do.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

OP, I'm sorry you're getting all these sarcastic responses.

Of course it makes a difference or competitive TTists or trackies would wear whatever. The flapping has a cost. Maybe 1 second over a 40k TT, or something of that order of magnitude. Does a second matter? Probably not for most of the riding your doing.

But say you're riding a TT and you make enough equipment improvements to gain 10 seconds. That's enough to be the difference between first and second in many instances. So it certainly *does* matter in some circumstances, you just need to understand the circumstances.

They way you would find out how much effect it would have would be to do aero testing. When I was meeting with my fitter recently to talk TT bikes, I was wearing a normal but non-flappy jersey. No flapping but not skin tight. His comment was, "see those couple of wrinkles in your jersey? That has got to go."
Old 07-14-15, 09:05 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Of course it makes a difference or competitive TTists or trackies would wear whatever. The flapping has a cost. Maybe 1 second over a 40k TT, or something of that order of magnitude.
Depends on your starting point but actually I'd say you're off by more than an order of magnitude. I'd say the ballpark is 1 sec/km for a flat TT. Whether anyone considers that significant or insignificant depends, of course, on the individual. If you race, 40 seconds over a 40km TT is huge. If you don't, it's not.
Old 07-14-15, 09:17 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Depends on your starting point but actually I'd say you're off by more than an order of magnitude. I'd say the ballpark is 1 sec/km for a flat TT. Whether anyone considers that significant or insignificant depends, of course, on the individual. If you race, 40 seconds over a 40km TT is huge. If you don't, it's not.

Nice as usual to get a real response to a post in the 41. Thanks.

40 seconds is indeed huge
Old 07-14-15, 09:28 AM
Csdhlhcky

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the performance loss of unzipping your jersey while riding? I notice towards the end of a few Tour stages some of the guys have unzipped their jersey. Seems that would go against the aero benefits those guys are always looking for...
Old 07-14-15, 09:52 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
The Tour riders often unzip their jerseys on steep mountain climbs or at the end of a stage where time doesn't matter like being part of the peloton. But you won't see an unzipped jersey when time matters.
Old 07-14-15, 09:57 AM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic;17977602[URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p8SdRRe1fo
So the Specialized Win Tunnel test found that replacing a flappy jersey with a race fit jersey is worth 45 seconds over 40 km.

Slightly bigger gain than aero wheels, a little less than aero bike (Venge).

So is "who cares" appropriate if you also say "who cares" about aero wheels and aero bikes?
Old 07-14-15, 10:00 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
There is an issue with flappy jerseys that doesn't have anything to do with performance directly. Sometimes a flappy jersey will cause high readings on some heart rate monitors. Evidently the technical material will cause some static electricity when flapping around and this interferes with the heart rate monitor chest strap. I've seen my heart rate reading over 250 bpm when it's more like 125 bpm. It usually goes away when you've worked up a sweat under the strap and jersey. I've heard it called "Flappy Jersey Syndrome".
Old 07-14-15, 10:15 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
So I've got a shop kit that I wear routinely that's very tight and form-fitting in the stomach, but because it's cut for a individual with a muscular chest, back, and shoulders (which is not me) it has some material that flaps in the wind at the chest and particularly at the tops of my shoulders (not so much that you can actually hear it flap, just feel it). I have no way to really scientifically compare it to another jersey, but it got me curious just how much I might be giving up by wearing it.

Of course, everyone knows that an oversized jersey that's big everywhere like a trash bag does nothing but harm performance, but what about a jersey with some flap only at the widest part of the body? How might it effect a TT and everyday riding outside of a draft? I guess my main mission is to determine if I should save the flappy jerseys for recovery rides, and find more form-fitting wares for when I want to TT, sit up front on a group ride, or toy with Strava. Or if it just really doesn't matter, as long as it's close to form-fitting.
Can't answer that, but I can say that sleeveless jerseys aren't allowed in USA Cycling Juniors races.

Maybe a flappy, sleeveless jersey would make you faster? lol
Old 07-14-15, 10:52 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Spend some time with Aerolab in Golden Cheetah and report back.
... Well NOW I want a power meter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.