Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I am really stupid and I want titanium spoke nipples

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 12:18 AM
Inst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I got really stupid one day and decided I wanted a DT Swiss 180 hubset with disc brake support. Then I woke up and my pillow was gone, but I've more or less committed to a really expensive wheel-build, complete with internal spoke nipples in titanium, of all things, but here's the problem. The provider does not produce their own internal spoke nipples, but they have an open design that's unthreaded, of all things, and no matter how hard I've looked, I've been unable to find any other titanium spoke nipples that are internal in 2.0mm or 2.2mm for my rim.

Is there any reliable or effective way to put threads into the spoke nipples? I'm fine with the spokes; there are conventional spokes as well as spoke cutters and threaders for titanium, but I can't find the tools needed to thread an unthreaded spoke nipple.

Last edited by Inst; 06-27-15 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 01:05 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Titanium is great for frames and a lot of bicycle parts, spoke nipples not so much.

The small weight saving you get over brass in addition to the high cost just is not worth it.
Old 06-27-15, 09:26 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aluminum alloy nipples are lighter than brass if you are so inclined, and I would guess a whole lot cheaper than titanium. DT Swiss lists their brass nipples as weighing 1g each. Their aluminum alloy nipples weight .31g each. So on a 32-spoke build you are looking at about a 20g savings. Even if the titanium nipples were half the weight of the aluminum alloy nipples, you'd only save about an additional 5g.
Old 06-27-15, 10:07 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Inst
. . . Is there any reliable or effective way to put threads into the spoke nipples? . . .
Yes, with a lathe or screw machine using titanium specific speeds, feeds, tooling, and coolant.
Old 06-27-15, 10:12 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Yes, with a lathe or screw machine using titanium specific speeds, feeds, tooling, and coolant.
MOQ 100K pieces. Seriously.
Old 06-27-15, 10:57 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by nfmisso
MOQ 100K pieces. Seriously.
Some people have screw machines in their garages. =)
Old 06-27-15, 11:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Some people have screw machines in their garages. =)
Family forum, buddy. Watch your language.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-26-15, 11:24 AM
Inst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tit is good for durability, basically. It's corrosion resistant and can be relied upon to last years without needing replacement, which is a good thing when you plan to use tubulars + internal spokes that need to be reglued every time you need to play with the spoke.
Old 07-26-15, 11:36 AM
AnkleWork

Tit is good for durability, basically. It's corrosion resistant and can be relied upon to last years without needing replacement, which is a good thing when you plan to use tubulars + internal spokes that need to be reglued every time you need to play with the spoke.
Really, it's a matter of degree -- it's a metal, not magic. Some Sikorsky helicopters crashed because Ti fasteners failed after a few tens of load cycles. And most brass nipples function perfectly for many millions of cycles. Go figure!

Isn't something wrong with your wheels if you need to "play with" your spokes?

Last edited by AnkleWork; 07-26-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 12:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
some were made in the past , but company may not have remained in business by now.
Old 07-26-15, 12:50 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I've never had to true a wheel I built except after bending a rim which won't be an issue with the carbon rims that go with internal nipples.

I've never had any problems with properly lubricated alloy nipples, even riding in Colorado with salt and slush on the roads. I currently use zinc anti-seize which corrodes preferentially over aluminum, although plain grease seems sufficient.
Old 07-26-15, 12:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 407 Posts
You could buy 1 nipple and use a 2-56 tap and see how it turns out.
Old 07-26-15, 12:53 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by GravelMN
Aluminum alloy nipples are lighter than brass if you are so inclined, and I would guess a whole lot cheaper than titanium. DT Swiss lists their brass nipples as weighing 1g each. Their aluminum alloy nipples weight .31g each. So on a 32-spoke build you are looking at about a 20g savings. Even if the titanium nipples were half the weight of the aluminum alloy nipples, you'd only save about an additional 5g.
Titanium is heavier than aluminum - about 4500kg/m^3 versus 2700-2800.
Old 07-26-15, 01:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked 2,779 Times in 1,551 Posts
I'll accept both the OP's headline statements as true, and leave it there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-26-15, 02:56 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'll accept both the OP's headline statements as true, and leave it there.
If you think this is dumb you should see the his thread in the Triathlon sub-forum.
Old 07-26-15, 04:01 PM
Inst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I've never had to true a wheel I built except after bending a rim which won't be an issue with the carbon rims that go with internal nipples.

I've never had any problems with properly lubricated alloy nipples, even riding in Colorado with salt and slush on the roads. I currently use zinc anti-seize which corrodes preferentially over aluminum, although plain grease seems sufficient.
I'm trying to pair these things with titanium spokes, so galling will result, but thanks for suggesting aluminum with anti-seize, although I realize now that I'll have to deal with galling.
Old 07-26-15, 04:27 PM
AnkleWork

I'm trying to pair these things with titanium spokes . . .
"And the hits just keep on coming!"

How does galling fit with your idea of "playing with" your spokes?

Last edited by AnkleWork; 07-26-15 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 06:58 PM
Inst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Galling iirc refers to the thread falling apart because of the difference in material strength, right?

I read up on titanium spokes a long time ago; the problem with titanium is that it's generally way too expensive; it's over $400 / kg for the material, and it offers only marginal improvements on say, aluminum alloy. However, Titanium has the advantage that it's corrosion resistant and has a non-linear response to flex.

For actual weight improvements, what I read is that titanium offers extremely marginal improvements over steel / aluminum (or whatever other material they use for spokes) paired with aluminum nipples, because titanium requires brass nipples to avoid galling. However, since titanium spoke nipples are also available, it should be possible to pair titanium with titanium for a more pronounced improvement over steel / alum combos, albeit at a relatively extreme price.

Recently, I found a seller that's offering titanium spokes at a price of $1 a piece. I'd probably have to do material analysis to verify that it's actually titanium, but once you compare that with the fact that my wheelbuild is going to cost more than $1200, $1500 once the cost of tyres are included, the marginal additional cost from titanium spokes and nipples is pretty reasonable, coming out to around $150 for the spokes and nipples.

===

Hey, I've got the dough and I want to do it. I am still custom-building a wheel, so it's not like the $4000 people dump on racers, and the combination of anodization, carbon (cheap Chinese carbon, though), rear 88mm, front-disc and rear-rim, and bright high-end hubs is sufficiently bling. And that's not to say that the titanium, because of its flex characteristics, will provide better life to the hub and frame by helping to absorb shock sustained from the inflexible carbon rims.

===

The only thing that I do worry about is that the $1 titanium will have quality problems; if I do direct from supplier, I can verify the tit grade, but it might be more expensive and I would have to commit to the entire $150 batch at a time.
Old 07-26-15, 07:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 894 Posts
How much is the weight savings vs 15/16 ga. DB spokes?
How much per lb?

You better look up "galling".

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/Thread-galling.aspx

"Galling is most often seen in stainless steel (especially when using lock nuts), aluminum, and titanium. Fasteners with damaged threads and fine threads are particularly prone to galling. Hardened steel bolts, especially when zinc plated, rarely gall."

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 07-26-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 07:21 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Want to take weight off your bike, consider a diet, it is cheaper than titanium parts.
Old 07-26-15, 07:37 PM
Inst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still trying to get my bike to the point where I can pack it into a bag instead of locking it outside. Tried with a 37 pound Schwinn Loop folder, almost had a heart attack dragging it through Grand Central Station and the NYC subway system after a bus trip, tried again with a 27.5 pound Montague Navigator, much better but not to the point where I'd rather backpack it instead of lock it, and I want to see what it'll be like at 19 pounds. The point is that if you can backpack it, you don't need a lock, and you don't ever have to worry about getting your bike or bike parts stolen because it's always with you.

I somehow doubt I'll be able to hit my weight target, though. I am guessing I'll be able to gain 1 and 1 pounds by goldplating the fork and the drivetrain, and with what I'm planning to do with the wheels I can expect 2 pounds off the wheels, the planned conversion on the handlebars will add more weight, and the frame can't be replaced except by a $700 Changebike frame that still weighs about the same as the Montague frame,
Old 07-26-15, 08:40 PM
AnkleWork

Ain't you just all up in there!
Old 07-26-15, 09:51 PM
Inst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, if you enjoy your old fart status too much, in the short term, hypoxia will induce drowsiness, in the long-term, brain damage.
Old 07-26-15, 10:19 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just can't see the $$$ for titanium spokes/nipples that provide only a marginal weight improvement over SS spokes, like the Sapim Laser 14-17-14, with aluminum alloy nipples. Seems like there have got to be more cost effective ways to shave a few grams.
Old 07-27-15, 07:40 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Originally Posted by GravelMN
I just can't see the $$$ for titanium spokes/nipples that provide only a marginal weight improvement over SS spokes, like the Sapim Laser 14-17-14, with aluminum alloy nipples. Seems like there have got to be more cost effective ways to shave a few grams.
You can get titanium spokes with cool rainbow anodizing.

Stainless steel spokes don't come that way.

Titanium spokes only seem to be available in straight 14 gauge which makes sense with the material having only half the stiffness of steel. 2.0mm titanium spoke weight is comparable to 2.0/1.5mm steel, and drag about 80% higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.