Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying my first road bike!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 05:05 AM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my results released today, and fared very well. My parents are going to buy me a road bike, which they promised.

Now I'm not really sure which one to buy. I have interests in buying a high-end road bike but since I'm new to road bikes, I'm not sure whether I should settle for a great bike or just a plain ordinary one.

My top decisions would be to buy a high-end road bike like Litespeed Vortex or Ultimate. The reason is because it is made of titanium, a really cool material and can last me a long time, whereas I'm afraid of breaking a carbon fibre frame bike. A titanium frame would last me longer as I most probably won't be buying another bike for a few years to come.

My other bets would be Cannondale R3000 or R5000, or probably Trek 5200. I would love to hear from you people as soon as possible as I can't wait to get my hands on my new bike. Please also advice me on the type of components and wheels to buy. Thanks!
Old 02-28-03, 08:03 AM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... that is a LOT of money for a first road bike!! you better be totally convinced that you're gonna fall in love with cycling before you dig that deep into your parents' pockets!
Old 02-28-03, 08:17 AM
BBQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with delerios. Buy a used C'Dale and see if you are going to stick with it, you can always sell that bike and get something else. A new rider does not need Ti, Dura Ace...spend a season on some Aluminum and 105 group and see how it shakes out. If you are going to race...that's one high end bike, if you are going to tour...that's another, Randenour(sp?)....another...
Old 02-28-03, 08:29 AM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, and Ti is just as much hype as substance.
Old 02-28-03, 08:40 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Get the best that you can without breaking your parents bank. But if you spend a lot of money make sure you include a Kryptonite lock so that it remains your bike. If you plan on doing 'serious' riding then go high-end. If it is going to be an all around banger, then think something else. No reason to trash an expensive high-end ride if you are not using it for its intended purpose. Steel frame will give you the best bang for the buck and be the most comfortable at a reasonable price. And are also the most indestructible of frames. But whatever you decide, ride and have fun!!
Old 02-28-03, 08:51 AM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by ParamountScapin
Get the best that you can without breaking your parents bank. But if you spend a lot of money make sure you include a Kryptonite lock so that it remains your bike.
I've never been able to get my head around the idea of a light,hi performance bike and dragging around a 4 pound lock. If you worry,get a schwinn varsity beater, and be money and worries ahead.
Old 02-28-03, 11:20 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people think steel is the way to go.I'm not one of them.I'd go for the light,hi peformance to.
Old 02-28-03, 11:27 AM
Brillig
Bananaed

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think about what you want. If you have any budget at all, you're going to have to decide what is most important to you: frame, componentry, total weight?

Also, what will you do with it? Race, competetive group riding, training riding, recreational riding?

Once you decide these things you're better armed to shop. For instance, a lower end LeMond will generally give you a better frame than a lot of bikes in its class (especially if you like steel) but probably a little lower on the componentry. A Raleigh might be exactly the opposite.

If you aren't racing or riding competetively you can get by with a lot less than you probably think. Anything over a certain amount (imo about a grand) will be buying things that will have miniscule benefits if you're not riding competetively (e.g. gram savings, slightly quicker shifts, etc.). Just above all, make sure it fits.
Old 02-28-03, 08:35 PM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I intend is to go competitive sometime late this year or early next year. Currently, I'm riding to build up fitness and mileage. It would be best in my opinion to get a good bike since I won't need to get it upgraded later on which would cost more money.

I'll be going out later to see the bikes but most probably won't buy it yet. It might take quite some time to make up my mind. Please keep the replies coming in, and talk about helmets, wheelsets, tires, pedals, shoes etc.. Thanks!
Old 03-01-03, 03:08 AM
the_stew_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which shop are you planning on buying it from?
Stew
Old 03-01-03, 05:53 AM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Treknology 3 today, tested out the Trek 1400 but I intend to buy the 1500. I also tested out this Giant TCR 1 at TEF Bikers Junction, quite comfortable but not sure whether it was my size. It was ordered by a customer, but they let me test ride it.

I decided not to buy a high-end bike and rather settle for one at the middle-range or so. I believe I would be buying the Trek 1500 but I'll hang around and see what goes.

The Trek 1500 would be Ultegra-equipped and with Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset. It looks cool with the paint job and everything, guess it'll be my first road bike unless I can't get it to fit me. The people there say I need a 58, but just by trying the 54, I had difficulty reaching the handlebars until they raise it. I guess I have to do quite a bit of adjustments before I can arrive in my size. My next bet would be the Giant TCR 1. I'll update you guys.
Old 03-01-03, 07:01 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer your questions/concerns from your original post:

-don't ever think that you don't warrant the most comfortable bike possible

-beginners races are full of crashes and mishaps. you don't want to do this on an expensive bike that is your baby. racing looks glamorous, and in the higher cat races it can be....and the racers you see in the mag's get their stuff free or replaced at deep discounts or even are able to borrow stuff.

-105 is great racing stuff. if you are able to test ride the exact type of roads you will be riding on -that will be a good determining factor for comfort. titanium or another frame might be great for smooth roads, but my harsher roads i am on might not be great for other types of frames.

-c'dale is clearing out all their lines and you can probably get a good deal on one of those.

-you can keep a good quality frame for many miles, and although the bikes mentioned in this forums can make you dizzy, no one ever bragged about how much he spent on a bike....get a quality frame and upgrade the components as you go along.

-be comfortable and ride. there is a long way to racing from buying your first road bike.

-just ride it. you can get caned in singapore for getting a bike and not riding it. hahaha
Old 03-01-03, 08:36 AM
late

Liked 1,508 Times in 1,117 Posts
Hi,
I like what RipRap is saying. There are a lot of bikes in the $1K to $1600 bracket that just fly. The sale Cannondales would be a great idea. The new Specialized Allez looks real nice; I just saw one at LL Beans and was very impressed. Jamis and Felt both make bikes that offer a lot for the money. Jamis is a bit more fun oriented with a steel frame and a nice ride.You will need to put a lot of training miles in before you race. A nice ride is nothing to sneeze at. I haven't seen the Felt yet, but guys here say it's great for the $$$. Guess it's time to go test ride a few bikes.
Old 03-08-03, 10:57 PM
bmw_maniac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Raceline Performance this week. Excellent bike, smooth, fast and reliable.

Before that I had a 1992 Avanti Ultra, HUGE difference.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in.