Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sti's and mountain cranks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 12:38 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rebuilding my Fargo and I would like to ditch the bar ends at least for now as I have no extended tours on the horizon for awhile.
The current setup is 3x9 XT all around (the cranks, m770, are 44 32 22) with dura ace bar ends on Paul thimbles. I have a set of tiagra 3x9 shifters laying around and I'd like to find a way to make them jive with my cranks.
In my searches I came across the IRD alpina d front dérailleur, but from what I can tell it's designed for a min 46tooth chainring. Will it work with my 44? Or alternately can I replace my big chainring witha 46 to make it work? I could also swap the middle if nec. But I'd like to keep my 22on the low end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-15, 02:25 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Most front derailleurs will work with a big chainring tooth count a fair bit off from the manufacturer's spec, particularly in the lower direction. For example, Shimano's road front derailleurs designed for a 52T big ring also worked well with a 46T big ring RSX crank. So, the IRD should work fine with your 44T chainring, particularly if you can lower it to have the proper clearance.
Old 08-02-15, 10:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,372 Posts
Many times a road STI front control is paired with a ATB der and or crank the resulting cage throws are not correct for the ring c-c spacing. We've tried a number of combos with varying results from almost spot on to a no question no go. This is why many touring bikes with ATB drive trains have bar end speced by the manufacturers. Andy
Old 08-02-15, 11:06 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Many times a road STI front control is paired with a ATB der and or crank the resulting cage throws are not correct for the ring c-c spacing. We've tried a number of combos with varying results from almost spot on to a no question no go. This is why many touring bikes with ATB drive trains have bar end speced by the manufacturers. Andy
He's already solved that problem by speccing an appropriate FD.
Old 08-03-15, 07:29 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
Many used to run "standard" MTB derailleurs when chainrings went "compact" with no issues. This is exactly the same case as yours (44t chainrings, 46t cage.) Your usage of a friction front shifter will make this easier
Old 08-03-15, 07:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Only 2 teeth off wouldn't even blip my radar.

My Rocket recumbent with a 20" rear wheel has a 60 tooth chainring with an XTR front derailleur. I was concerned about making everything work but I've had no issues whatsoever. I am using a friction shifter on the front, however.
Old 08-03-15, 08:04 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I've converted touring bikes which come stock with bar end to STI, and the two biggest issues were FD and brakes. A road triple FD solves the shifting issue; swapping from V to canti brakes or using Travel Agents solved the brake issue.

The conversions I did involved a touring crank, though, 30, 4x, 50 rings -- no experience trying to mate road triple derailleur with offroad gearing chainring sizes. I'd give it a shot, though, and expect decent performance. Maybe add a shark tooth or other chain catcher to prevent chain drop on the inside just for extra peace of mind.