Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ksyrium Freehub Lube Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 07:36 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts

While on a ride, the freehub on my Ksyrium SL began making a weird sound when travelling above 20MPH. I took the freehub apart and determined it was in need of lube, but obtaining lube late Saturday for a Sunday ride, would be difficult. A search on the internet revealed that Mavic used to use Mineral Oil USP as the lube for these hubs. I picked up a bottle at the local drug store, lubed the freehub, reassembled and, after two rides, all is well. In fact, the tiny bit of play so common in these hubs was no longer evident after lubing. My question, is this OK or is this only a borrowed time solution and I need to clean the freehub and replace with a different lube?
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-14-15, 08:16 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5978 Post(s)
Liked 2,895 Times in 1,609 Posts
Mavic uses pure phamacutical grade mineral oil. You bought the same stuff and used it. It works fine without issues. So where's the question?

FYI freewheel/freehub ratchets have very low lubricant needs because there are never parts moving against each other under load. When you're coasting the pawls rub as they run around the ring, but the only load is the light spring force. When you're pedaling, he mechanism is locked up and moves as a unit.

So all you need is a film of something that will stay put and not build up at the bottoms of the ratchet ring ramps. Any sticky oil will do, as will a thin film of a light grease.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-14-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-14-15, 08:49 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Good, Thanks
Old 07-14-15, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,975 Times in 2,363 Posts
I have questioned Mavic's requirement of mineral oil before and tried common shop lubes with returning noise issues after a while. When both hubs were re done with mineral oil both have run properly since. So now I use mineral oil right off the bat. Just did one a couple of months ago at work this way. Andy.
Old 07-14-15, 10:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5978 Post(s)
Liked 2,895 Times in 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have questioned Mavic's requirement of mineral oil before and tried common shop lubes with returning noise issues after a while. When both hubs were re done with mineral oil both have run properly since. So now I use mineral oil right off the bat. Just did one a couple of months ago at work this way. Andy.
It's amazing what happens when you give a manufacturer some credit for knowing about their own product. Of course, it doesn't always work out this way, but I try to override manufacturers only when I'm confident that I can do better.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-03-15, 01:37 AM
vintage cellar

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yep - same experience as Andy. Scoffed at mineral oil and tried to use some lube I thought would be better. And it caused nothing but trouble.
Cleaned and relubed like Mavic sez - and everything worked much better. Whoodathunk Mavic might know their own equipment better than us poor country bike mechanics ?
Old 08-03-15, 01:49 AM
vintage cellar

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yep - same experience as Andy. Scoffed at mineral oil and tried to use some lube I thought would be better. And it caused nothing but trouble.
Cleaned and relubed like Mavic sez - and everything worked much better. Whoodathunk Mavic might know their own equipment better than us poor country bike mechanics ?