Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bar tape

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 05:16 PM
scplus5

Bikes: 2009 caad 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar tape

I've had lizard skins on my bike for probably just over 1000-1200 miles. I love the feel of it, especially the "stickiness". However, there is a worn spot where my hand rests. The mechanic at the LBS said that's normal for lizard skins to wear that quickly. He recommended some kind of specialized taps that's leather I think? Not crazy about the feel, and a somewhat expensive test. I may go with it, but I'm curious to hear any other suggestions. Maybe something that feels similar to LS, but more durable?
Old 08-03-15, 05:32 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 54 Times in 42 Posts
You may want to try a double tape wrap job someday--it can be pretty neat.
Old 08-03-15, 05:56 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There are only a couple types of bar tape I like. I think if it works for you, just replace it. Bar tape is relatively cheap. If it's not, look elsewhere. My local shop like to gouge on bar tape, for some reason.
Old 08-03-15, 06:16 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Supacaz tape has quickly been my favorite and I've been putting it on all of my bikes...however, cheap it is not.

https://supacaz.com/product-category...-tape&dppage=1

I find it grippy in all occasions, with and without gloves. It wraps well, has a nice texture, and looks good.

Of course, I also hated Lizard Skins the one time I used it. I didn't find it to wrap all that well and wet hands would slide all over.

Old 08-03-15, 06:46 PM
scplus5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Supacaz tape has quickly been my favorite and I've been putting it on all of my bikes...however, cheap it is not.

https://supacaz.com/product-category...-tape&dppage=1

I find it grippy in all occasions, with and without gloves. It wraps well, has a nice texture, and looks good.

Of course, I also hated Lizard Skins the one time I used it. I didn't find it to wrap all that well and wet hands would slide all over.
That price is not horrible. How durable have you found it to be?
Old 08-03-15, 07:10 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Originally Posted by scplus5
I've had lizard skins on my bike for probably just over 1000-1200 miles. I love the feel of it, especially the "stickiness". However, there is a worn spot where my hand rests.
Only just over 1000 miles**********

I went with some of the cheap Chinese foam/cork tape.

Ok, so the black spotted tape isn't the most popular on this website, but it is hard to go wrong with $1 to $2 per pair of rolls (including shipping).

I'm now at a bit over 1000 miles on one bike, and noticing a bit of fuzzing around the edges, and some staining from my hands.

I am a little disappointed with the rapid wear, but hope to get a few thousand more miles out of the tape before replacing.

Let's see... if I can squeeze 2000 miles out of $2 worth of tape.
Then $20 worth of tape should be good for at least 20,000 miles, or several years worth of riding
$40 worth of tape should last me a good long time
Old 08-03-15, 07:21 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've tried the expensive stuff... even Brooks leather tape. I prefer the cheap cork I buy on-line for $3 from China.
Old 08-03-15, 07:41 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That price is not horrible. How durable have you found it to be?
I'm at around 4500 miles on it and it's showing slight signs of wear by the hoods. However, I think this might be due to the new gloves I just purchased, which have a synthetic palm as I just started noticing it in the past week. However, the wear is hardly noticeable as the tape seems to be black all the way through unlike the white insides of the lizard skins.

I justify the cost because you get the nice screw-in bar ends.

Old 08-03-15, 08:00 PM
scplus5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm at around 4500 miles on it and it's showing slight signs of wear by the hoods. However, I think this might be due to the new gloves I just purchased, which have a synthetic palm as I just started noticing it in the past week. However, the wear is hardly noticeable as the tape seems to be black all the way through unlike the white insides of the lizard skins.

I justify the cost because you get the nice screw-in bar ends.
That is impressive. How does the tackiness compare to LS?

i already have nice bar ends, but I don't mind spending that much if it lasts.
Old 08-03-15, 08:56 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly Cinelli Cork IMHO is the best, I like BLACK it lasts, and lasts. I do not count the mike it lasts years.
Old 08-04-15, 01:10 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I myself love the tape which came on my 2015 Specialized Roubaix which, when I look at their site, is the "S-wrap HD" tape. It's still flawless after nearly 1800 miles on the bike.

Although it may be pricey to some...

Geoff
Old 08-04-15, 02:43 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Ah, the great bar tape-debate! I have used many kinds and am now using Fiziek on one bike and Cannondale on the the other. The Cannondale is much more cushy like some of the Cinelli stuff but it stays in place which Cinelli stuff does not. I agree that black is the way to go. Everything else is what we call 'future black'.
Old 08-04-15, 09:00 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That is impressive. How does the tackiness compare to LS?

i already have nice bar ends, but I don't mind spending that much if it lasts.
I'd say just as tacky. It has a slight velvety feel to it.

My hands can be quite sweaty and I can still get a great grip on the bar with no sliding around.

Old 08-04-15, 09:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Ah, the great bar tape-debate! I have used many kinds and am now using Fiziek on one bike and Cannondale on the the other. The Cannondale is much more cushy like some of the Cinelli stuff but it stays in place which Cinelli stuff does not. I agree that black is the way to go. Everything else is what we call 'future black'.
Wrongo! Fizik (which you should know if you are using it) simply does not get dirty. Period. I have been using yellow now for a couple of years and can see no change in appearance. I never wipe it or clean it in any way. It just doesn't accept dirt or grease.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-04-15, 09:07 AM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I've tried the expensive stuff... even Brooks leather tape. I prefer the cheap cork I buy on-line for $3 from China.
+1
The cork tape I buy off eBay is distinguishable from the brand name stuff only by the absence of butt-ugly logos stamped into it.
Old 08-04-15, 11:38 AM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if you like lizard skins but dont like the price, try the zipp cx tape. Its cheap and tacky and has help up for me for a couple thousand miles now
Old 08-04-15, 01:34 PM
scplus5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say just as tacky. It has a slight velvety feel to it.

My hands can be quite sweaty and I can still get a great grip on the bar with no sliding around.
Thanks for all the info. I'm probably going to order some fairly soon. It sounds like it's what I'm looking for and I don't mind the price.

Shoot, it's downright cheap if you consider the use I should get out of it. I don't mind "expensive" one time purchases. Cycling is cheap compared to other hobbies that require money every time you participate.
Old 08-04-15, 01:50 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'm not a fan of Lizardskins. I tried it once and it didn't last long at all before I wore it out. I'm a fan of s-works velvet, but don't screw up the wrap because it does not come off in a reusable manner.
Old 08-04-15, 03:15 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm probably going to order some fairly soon. It sounds like it's what I'm looking for and I don't mind the price.

Shoot, it's downright cheap if you consider the use I should get out of it. I don't mind "expensive" one time purchases. Cycling is cheap compared to other hobbies that require money every time you participate.
I hope you like it, as I said, it's my favorite tape at the moment. I usually get the black with the colored print, it's understated but a nice pop of color at the same time.

Old 08-04-15, 03:41 PM
MagicHour

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Another recommend is Prologo one-touch. Pretty nice. I've ridden Cinelli cork or similar for pretty much my entire cycling life, but decided to give this a try recently. Wanted something with a bit more cushion to ease back onto the road after an elbow injury. Only have 500 miles or so on it, but so far so good. It goes and stays on well, cushiony, grippy when wet, and has a nice in the hand feel - different than cork, but I still like it.
Old 08-04-15, 04:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
I'm a fan of the two-tone Serfas tape.. fwiw. Nice tacky feel and just the right amount of cushion for me.
Old 08-04-15, 07:57 PM
Yellowbeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in love with the Fi'zi:k microtex stuff. Been using it exclusively for a few years.

Wish I had any idea what all the newer variants are good for.
Old 08-10-15, 01:42 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Wrongo! Fizik (which you should know if you are using it) simply does not get dirty. Period. I have been using yellow now for a couple of years and can see no change in appearance. I never wipe it or clean it in any way. It just doesn't accept dirt or grease.
No wrongo - I use black Fizik. I kind of like the reflective Fizik name which is nice for night time riding.
Old 08-10-15, 11:55 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I too have been using Fizik Microtex for some time. It is of course much firmer than DSP, but you can put some padding under it before wrapping the bars to ease the vibration a bit. I use white and generally it stays clean. I might have to clean it once during the season. after two seasons I usually replace (3000-5000 miles). It could probably go longer.
Old 08-10-15, 05:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Velox cloth tape. All the rest of this crap is for panzies
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.