Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

All About Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 07:51 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't remember if there is plastic on the lens or not, the two pairs I own have what I consider to be great quality mirrors for the purpose they serve . I've had mine for over ten years and couldn't be happier. I have had other mirrors that had plastic frames, they never lasted. Usually the ball/socket would wear out and not maintain adjustment or the plastic mounting legs would break off. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Really what are we talking about, $10?
Old 08-18-15, 07:53 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by MMLC
I can't remember if there is plastic on the lens or not, the two pairs I own have what I consider to be great quality mirrors for the purpose they serve . I've had mine for over ten years and couldn't be happier. I have had other mirrors that had plastic frames, they never lasted. Usually the ball/socket would wear out and not maintain adjustment or the plastic mounting legs would break off. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Really what are we talking about, $10?
$17 ($20 w/tax) at the LBS. Is the mirror glass?
Old 08-18-15, 08:05 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
$17 ($20 w/tax) at the LBS. Is the mirror glass?
No they are not glass. If you are worried about scratching I don't have any scratches after ten years of use. I clean them with lens cleaning wipes, not paper towels or TP which will scratch any surface over time.
Old 08-18-15, 12:43 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was checking out the Take-A-Look at my LBS through the package it's in. Is there a removable thin plastic film initially over the glass? If not, the quality of the mirror is terrible. And is it true glass? The guy at the LBS did not know and didn't want to open it to find out.
My Take-A-Look has a plastic mirror, but the optical quality is equal to that of a good glass mirror.
Old 08-18-15, 01:48 PM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have Mountain Mirrycle mirrors on the bar end of all our bikes.

We also have Take a Look mirrors which I've tried left and right side and mounted on both glasses and helmet visor.

Both mirrors are excellent optically though they won't look it if they are in plastic packaging.

We both prefer the Mirrycle bar end mirrors and only use our Take a Look's if riding a bike without a mirror or in special circumstances.

We are currently trying the Mirrycles turned down and in rather than up and out. It's better in tight spaces both riding and parking but the view past your body is more restricted. I might try it in conjunction with a right mounted Take a Look.

Last edited by energyandair; 08-18-15 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo & clarification
Old 08-18-15, 01:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,699 Times in 837 Posts
I was checking out the Take-A-Look at my LBS through the package it's in. Is there a removable thin plastic film initially over the glass? If not, the quality of the mirror is terrible. And is it true glass? The guy at the LBS did not know and didn't want to open it to find out.
Mine is glass...and very clear.