Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

High End Folding Advice...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 09:25 PM
CHECHO

Bikes: less than I wanted

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, I'm thinking about the possibility of having a bike for Christmas... Mainly to alternate it with my commute bike (2 speed dahon mu uno) when I want to do some exercise in harder roads with some climbs. Originally I thought about a full frame bike, but I've enjoyed so much the folding bike that I thought about a folding model ... I've seen some really nice hi-end models like the Tern Verge X20 or the Dahon Mu Ex Camibean (both in the 3K range). But I would like to know if you have had experience with any of them or any other folding that's appropriate to exercise... BTW, I'm thinking about something equivalent to a full frame road or hybrid bike... Thanks!
Old 08-18-15, 10:00 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHECHO
Hi there, I'm thinking about the possibility of having a bike for Christmas... Mainly to alternate it with my commute bike (2 speed dahon mu uno) when I want to do some exercise in harder roads with some climbs. Originally I thought about a full frame bike, but I've enjoyed so much the folding bike that I thought about a folding model ... I've seen some really nice hi-end models like the Tern Verge X20 or the Dahon Mu Ex Camibean (both in the 3K range). But I would like to know if you have had experience with any of them or any other folding that's appropriate to exercise... BTW, I'm thinking about something equivalent to a full frame road or hybrid bike... Thanks!
You mention you want to do come climbing, so what is your price range?

The best climbing folders will sacrifice high end speed in almost every case. The exception would be Rohloff folders, but that commands a price premium, which is why I ask what your price range might be.
Old 08-18-15, 11:07 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If wanted to make myself an expensive present then Pacific Cycles Reach T20 is the bike.
Old 08-19-15, 12:26 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist

The best climbing folders will sacrifice high end speed in almost every case. The exception would be Rohloff folders, but that commands a price premium, which is why I ask what your price range might be.
Or you can buy a folder with a DualDrive. Way cheaper than Rohloff and extremely wide range of gears even on small wheels.

My DualDrive Mu has both lower and higher gears than my road bike

I feel that I don't climb as fast or comfortable on it though due to the bike's ergonomics, which are limited by it's folding ability.
Old 08-19-15, 06:36 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 896 Times in 628 Posts
https://youtu.be/rigr7MSlTEg
Old 08-19-15, 06:57 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
It's really nice, but having to remove the front wheel to fold it is not acceptable unless you don't intend to fold it regularly. In which case a full-size bike would make more sense.

Also, I don't like having suspension on a fast road bike. It just eats your power and adds unnecessary complexity and maintenance. Especially considering that most parts of the suspension are propietary. Moreover, most people ride those bikes over smooth asphalt, not bumpy trails.
Old 08-19-15, 08:19 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 896 Times in 628 Posts
I have a TernJoeP24, and it's probably what you're looking for as well. I added fenders, a rack, and I changed out the handlebars. Works great on the street, and works great when I ride in the park by my house.

And if that doesn't interest you, have you considered a Montague folding bike? Hard core riding bikes!
Old 08-19-15, 08:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I'm thinking about something equivalent to a full frame road or hybrid bike...
Oregon made Bike Friday's build lists include the same components as on other bikes like your road or hybrids...

349 wheel tikit is a fast fold .. seat mast is hinged so saddle height remains as you set it,

and unlike any other folding bike you have frame size options ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 08:27 AM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look at Bike Friday and Birdy. Both are good bikes that ride well and are available with the gear range you want.
Old 08-19-15, 09:49 AM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist

I don't want (actually I can't) spend more than 3K USD... i've seen some Rohloff models, even for full-frame bikes, and I really like the idea, my concern (beyond price) is that were I live there's none technical support for internal geared hubs, but a lot of knowledge for traditional gear systems, so I don't want to spend a lot of money in such expensive system without knowing that I'll be technically covered...

Now, about the climbing, where I live is pretty flat... actually in my daily office commute I only gain 15 meters... however, there are some hills around that I would like to explore in non-commute trips... That's what I thought originally in a hybrid full size...
Old 08-19-15, 09:59 AM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by energyandair
I would look at Bike Friday and Birdy. Both are good bikes that ride well and are available with the gear range you want.
Hi, thanks!!! is good to know that's life beyond tern/dahon!
I really like the Birdies! honestly, I haven't seen them before, I'm curious about the suspension fork design... what about durability/reliability? have you tested it?
Old 08-19-15, 10:05 AM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shrooms
If wanted to make myself an expensive present then Pacific Cycles Reach T20 is the bike.
me likey!!! so, this guys are the same that makes the Birdy right? what about reliability, durability, quality???
Old 08-19-15, 10:12 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you do consider a derailleir birdie they fold very small with the wheels removed,quickly and easily with the qr skewers. You can customise the suspension to be much firmer also.
Old 08-19-15, 10:30 AM
rjdennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
see the discussions of ti swifts on this site
Old 08-19-15, 10:31 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you checked out the Dahon Aniversary replica .... They are on closeout pricing and pretty nice
Old 08-19-15, 10:49 AM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank to all for your comments... I really think that those guys from Pacific Bikes have what I'm looking for. Now, what about the quality of the product? I'm asking this because no long ago I was considering a doppelganger bike (Japanese) and, according to some posts here in the forum, the quality and reliability were not so good (not to say anything else...) and, on the other hand, Dahon and Tern are well known because their quality. Please also consider that I'm from overseas, so any option I choose has to be maintained for me or a local "standard" bike technician.
Old 08-19-15, 10:56 AM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
Have you checked out the Dahon Aniversary replica .... They are on closeout pricing and pretty nice
yes, I did... actually I liked that very much... just wandered why Dahon didn't put dropout handlebars on that one... but yes, that's an option I'm considering... anyways, once I decide which model I want/can buy, I think that I have to open another thread called "how to overcome the 'ANOTHER BIKE???' question at home"
Old 08-19-15, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

my M3L Brompton with the Schlumpf Mountain Drive 2 speed Crankset , in low gear, low range, is about a 17" gear.

by 'dropout handlebars ' do you mean road bike Drop Bars since a dropout is where the wheel, axle goes .

Answer : flat bars when folded take up less space.

and space reduction is why people buy folding bikes in the first place..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 11:08 AM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks!!! is good to know that's life beyond tern/dahon!
I really like the Birdies! honestly, I haven't seen them before, I'm curious about the suspension fork design... what about durability/reliability? have you tested it?
We have 3 Birdys. Currently 2 in California and one in BC.

They have been very durable and very reliable.

Had a problem with one fork due to overtightening of clamping bolts (can't do that on any bike, particularly with aluminium or carbon frames!)

They are fast, comfortable and adjust to fit a very wide range of rider size and riding position.

They are very agile and definitely not a "hands free" bike (latest model might be) but so long as I have at least one hand touching the handlebar, I've had no control problem.

If I were were going on a cross country bike trip, I would quite likely take one of the Birdys rather than a standard size bike.
Old 08-19-15, 11:27 AM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank to all for your comments... I really think that those guys from Pacific Bikes have what I'm looking for. Now, what about the quality of the product? I'm asking this because no long ago I was considering a doppelganger bike (Japanese) and, according to some posts here in the forum, the quality and reliability were not so good (not to say anything else...) and, on the other hand, Dahon and Tern are well known because their quality. Please also consider that I'm from overseas, so any option I choose has to be maintained for me or a local "standard" bike technician.
According to many reviews Pacific Cycles bikes are higher quality than Tern or Dahon. They are in the same category with Bike Fridays except there is no customer support in the US. Also, for the price it would have been nice to buy it accessorized with a rear rack and mudguards. Still it maybe a personal opinion but the PC bikes designs are much cooler in term of look, simplicity and functionality than any other folding company came up with.
Old 08-19-15, 11:38 AM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
me likey!!! so, this guys are the same that makes the Birdy right? what about reliability, durability, quality???
Not many want to admit that Birdy, Tikit, Bromton, etc are super folders which in their own category have their own pluses and minuses. PC Reach can't fold in such the small sizes but it rides and looks like a mini-velo.
Old 08-19-15, 12:38 PM
CHECHO

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob

by 'dropout handlebars ' do you mean road bike Drop Bars since a dropout is where the wheel, axle goes .

yes, that's what I meant... my mistake... English is not my native language...

Answer : flat bars when folded take up less space.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Dahon Anniversary Replica has a (very bulky) bullhorn handlebar (I think that's how it's called right?) that folds to the outside... so that's why I mentioned about why Dahon didn't considered a Drop BarDAHON Bikes USA:*Anniversary Replica

and space reduction is why people buy folding bikes in the first place..
Yep, I totally agree with you... that's why I choose a folding and I'm seeking for another one...
Old 08-19-15, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

fold in half types are relatively wide, DaHon descendants are all that type.

Brompton fold directly under and hinge the front of the main tube

with the front wheel coming back on the right side takes up less room.

& covers the drivetrain..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 01:55 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't think it right to asume paffic is better than dahon/tern quality. They make some very nice stuff, I am not a dahon fan but I would alway consider one at the right price.
Re drop bars.
Droped bars don't fold well on folders but proxy bullbars do. See me of my threads. There are lots of photos on the dahon andros stem on Brompton.
Old 08-19-15, 02:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

You can always put a QR on the Brompton steering mast so the bars fold in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.