Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aero vs. Lightweight - What's better?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aero vs. Lightweight - What's better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 02:57 PM
Lord_Stark

Bikes: Trek Emonda S5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I am 177cm tall and weigh 62kg. There's a huge difference between not fat by normal peoples' standards and lean for endurance sports.
I guess you are a pretty good climber aren't you?

For me it's not possible to get that weight. I am a Squash player for more than 10 years now with a few years on the pro tour. I got so heavy legs from all the training during this time. I don't know my my body fat percentage, but I am very skinny on the upper body. I can't see myself losing more than 1-2 kg or maybe 3!
Old 08-23-15, 03:09 PM
DelishCommish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is amazing. I was actually wondering the exact same thing. I've been looking at the Specialized Tarmac Comp and comparing it to the low-end Venge Elite, both are $2800 USD but the Tarmac comes with Ultegra components while the Venge comes with 105's. Not looking to buy, mind you. Just drooling.

Aero bikes are really cool.
Old 08-23-15, 03:20 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
nothing I said in this post was BS, it is acquired from experience and extensive research. much of what I said about aero vs light bike is recycled from the GCN video which I mentioned. and I noted that this discussion at it's essence in an oversimplification.

it is fact that if you have weight to lose then you should do that first
That's your opinion not fact. What if he's racing next week? It's certainly faster to buy some speed with lighter weight components.

it will make a larger improvement than anything you can buy
2 lbs is 2 lbs. Doesn't matter much where it comes from.

it is also fact that when carbon splinters it explodes.
You're a funny guy. Did your bike come with some plastic explosives embedded in the carbon?
Old 08-23-15, 03:30 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nothing I said in this post was BS, it is acquired from experience and extensive research. much of what I said about aero vs light bike is recycled from the GCN video which I mentioned. and I noted that this discussion at it's essence in an oversimplification.

it is fact that if you have weight to lose then you should do that first, it will make a larger improvement than anything you can buy. it is also fact that when carbon splinters it explodes. it is also fact that given the UCI regulations, pro's don't and often can't use the lightest most aero equipment available to them because of certain restrictions on approved wheelsets, weight limits, and prohibition of certain types of aero equipment.

yes the comment about golf was a joke, although it holds true that if you can't swing a club, then you can't really buy performance there either. I wasn't even grumpy when I posted this LOL
Lots of what you posted in this thread, and others, is BS. Plus you like to throw around the term asshat like you're something special. Ease up a little, you come off as more than a bit of one yourself.

With respect to BS you posted in this thread I was speaking specifically to two things. First off your assertion that lightweight is more important if you're doing sprints is completely false. The faster you go the less weight matters and the more effect being aero will have.

The other thing that's complete BS is your statement that "Carbon UBER light bikes, components, and aero bikes, EXPLODE and send SHARDS of flying carbon SPEARS when they are wrecked."

If this were true half the pro peloton would die every year.

Last edited by CharlyAlfaRomeo; 08-23-15 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 03:34 PM
Lord_Stark

Bikes: Trek Emonda S5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
2 lbs is 2 lbs. Doesn't matter much where it comes from.
That's right, but most riders could lose kg like 2 whole bikes
So why paying 2000 more for 1-2 kg less on your bike if you have way to much kilos on yourself

Not meant that your not allowed to buy expensive light bikes ^^
Old 08-23-15, 04:25 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by Lord_Stark
So why paying 2000 more for 1-2 kg less on your bike if you have way to much kilos on yourself

One reason is that for many people it's easier to plonk down $2000 than it is to lose weight.
Old 08-23-15, 04:31 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It also depends where the weight is located. Losing a pound off the wheels of a bike is going to be a bigger deal than losing a pound off the rider's stomach.
Old 08-23-15, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5964 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,599 Posts
For a number of reasons, 2#s on a bike is very different that the same 2#s of body weight.

Part of the reason is that you and the bike don't move as a single rigid unit, but you move the bike under you when riding. So a lighter bike will not only feel snappier, it'll actually be easier to ride, especially when climbing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-23-15, 04:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked 4,042 Times in 2,621 Posts
There are two other considerations if you have to ride these wheels down the grades you just rode up. Braking (assuming you are using caliper brakes) and handling in cross winds. Good braking usually requires aluminum tracks on the wheels, adding weight. Too aero a wheel can also be very hard to control in crosswinds at high speeds.

If all your climbs are summit finishes, none of this matters, If you are riding unsupported, it could matter a lot.

Ben
Old 08-23-15, 05:01 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
It also depends where the weight is located. Losing a pound off the wheels of a bike is going to be a bigger deal than losing a pound off the rider's stomach.
Facetious hyperbole answer: "yes a pound off the wheels is equal to at least 15 pounds from anywhere else."

Scientifically validates answer: " a pound from the wheels is worth about 1.001 lbs anywhere else." (google Kraig Willett wheel performance."

Last edited by asgelle; 08-23-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 07:19 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
Lots of what you posted in this thread, and others, is BS. Plus you like to throw around the term asshat like you're something special. Ease up a little, you come off as more than a bit of one yourself.

With respect to BS you posted in this thread I was speaking specifically to two things. First off your assertion that lightweight is more important if you're doing sprints is completely false. The faster you go the less weight matters and the more effect being aero will have.

The other thing that's complete BS is your statement that "Carbon UBER light bikes, components, and aero bikes, EXPLODE and send SHARDS of flying carbon SPEARS when they are wrecked."

If this were true half the pro peloton would die every year.
when you are sprinting you are out of the saddle, throwing the bike around like a maniac to put the most power to weight ratio through the cranks into the wheels. this is pretty much the least aero you can be. weight and power are key.

google 30 bananas a day post of video of carbon failures. maybe you and I have different opinions on the meaning of the word "explode" but the fact remains that metal simply does not fail in this way.

you have also chosen to focus on the only 2 of like 87 points that I made where you think you can sound like you're right, but ignored everything else that I said, which is in fact, fact. asshat. *edited to include "asshat"*
Old 08-23-15, 07:23 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There are two other considerations if you have to ride these wheels down the grades you just rode up. Braking (assuming you are using caliper brakes) and handling in cross winds. Good braking usually requires aluminum tracks on the wheels, adding weight. Too aero a wheel can also be very hard to control in crosswinds at high speeds.

If all your climbs are summit finishes, none of this matters, If you are riding unsupported, it could matter a lot.

Ben
+1 and thank you for being reasonable. not to mention aero wheels are NOT necessarily the lightest thing around if you pull out the gram scale. and they are, without a doubt, more impacted by cross wind.
Old 08-23-15, 07:24 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
For a number of reasons, 2#s on a bike is very different that the same 2#s of body weight.

Part of the reason is that you and the bike don't move as a single rigid unit, but you move the bike under you when riding. So a lighter bike will not only feel snappier, it'll actually be easier to ride, especially when climbing.
once again, this has been tested and largely disproved. bottom line your muscles are pulling up weight. rider/bike doesn't matter, it's a simple physics equation of power to weight. we are not talking rotating mass, just simply pulling an object of a given weight up a hill. 2lbs body weight is basically equivalent to 2lbs on your bike and COSTS A LOT LESS.
Old 08-23-15, 07:25 PM
gregf83 

when you are sprinting you are out of the saddle, throwing the bike around like a maniac to put the most power to weight ratio through the cranks into the wheels. this is pretty much the least aero you can be. weight and power are key.
Incorrect. Sprinting occurs at high speed and aero is critical. Acceleration is actually fairly low during a sprint so weight plays much less of a role. Have a look at Mark Cavendish. He remains low and aero while sprinting out of the saddle. Power to CdA is what matters in a sprint.
Old 08-23-15, 07:26 PM
gregf83 

once again, this has been tested and largely disproved. bottom line your muscles are pulling up weight. rider/bike doesn't matter, it's a simple physics equation of power to weight. we are not talking rotating mass, just simply pulling an object of a given weight up a hill. 2lbs body weight is basically equivalent to 2lbs on your bike and COSTS A LOT LESS.
Agreed.
Old 08-23-15, 07:30 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hogwash. Would you rather carry 2 pounds strapped to your stomach, or 2 pounds hanging off the end of a 3 foot stick? The location of weight totally matters in the riding experience (not to mention just moving the bike around).

would you rather be 180 pounds carrying a 15 pound bike, or 150 pounds carrying a 45 pound bike up a hill? Yes, you are moving 195 pounds in both cases, but the two experiences will not feel the same.

Last edited by pacificaslim; 08-23-15 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 07:49 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord_Stark

Why not do both? The thing that often gets overlooked here is that a couple pounds will make a difference. It doesn't matter if someone buys it or not.
Old 08-23-15, 07:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5964 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,599 Posts
I don't debate this kind of stuff on the net. Let's just say we disagree on the subject and let readers make up their own minds.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-23-15, 08:35 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Those of us in the faired speedbike part of the sport have done a lot of thinking and experimentation on this. Except for the narrow limiting case of very steep climbs at very low speeds, aero trumps weight. Try beating the time for a 60 pound velomobile over an average century ride on a "regular" road bike- and get ready for major disappointment. Over any normal course, the aero bike wins- every time.

Last edited by delcrossv; 08-23-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 09:16 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wrong. As someone else mentioned you should have a look at Cav, or any other road sprinter really. A profile view is especially enlightening. Their butt may be off the saddle but their shoulders and head are extremely low, so low in fact most of them aren't looking up half the time and have to take a peak periodically to make sure they're still headed for the line.

After that maybe take a look at track sprinters. While they may stand up to accelerate, the fastest part of the sprint takes place seated, particularly during a flying 200m.

maybe you and I have different opinions on the meaning of the word "explode" but the fact remains that metal simply does not fail in this way.
We also have different opinions on what constitutes a flying carbon spear.

*edited to include "asshat"*
You're a real gem.
Old 08-23-15, 09:29 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
google 30 bananas a day post of video of carbon failures. maybe you and I have different opinions on the meaning of the word "explode" but the fact remains that metal simply does not fail in this way.
And exactly how many carbon frame failures, whether or not they hurled a barrage of lethal missiles, can you actually document. Look, show me quantitative, peer reviewed data if you want any sort of credibility. Without it, you're just running your mouth.
Old 08-24-15, 12:01 AM
nightshade18

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best post so far.