Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road pedal with mtb shoe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 12:14 PM
Carkar7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it possible to use a road specific pedal such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-R550-S...ds=road+pedals

With a MTB shoe?

I often go casual bike riding with my non-roadie friends, and we typically end up in crowded areas that involves a lot of walking. I would like to be able to have a road shoe for performance purposes and a MTB shoe for casual purposes, without having to change pedals. Any recommendations please?

Thanks!

Last edited by Carkar7; 09-07-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 12:21 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I believe that as long as the pedal & the cleat are the same style/brand then it wouldn't matter the specific designation (road or mountain) that the shoe is.

I don't ride clipless, but wear Shimano CT40 MTB shoes with clipless capability and they're comfy to walk in.
Old 09-07-15, 12:23 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No. You would have to cut almost all the rubber away, and drill your own mounting holes.

How about this:
Amazon.com : Speedplay Syzr Stainless Pedals : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-07-15, 12:38 PM
Carkar7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
No. You would have to cut almost all the rubber away, and drill your own mounting holes.

How about this:
Those look interesting...do you have experience using them? Any idea if they are comparable to a typical road pedal as far as power transfer is concerned?
Old 09-07-15, 12:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22773 Post(s)
Liked 9,169 Times in 4,253 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita

How about this:
Too pricey. What's wrong with your current setup??

Either use MTB pedals/shoes or road pedals and cleat covers with road shoes.
Old 09-07-15, 01:25 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
You can always get a different SPD pedal with a larger platform.

Here's a road styled pedal:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A60...p_89%3AShimano

Or a double-sided MTB version:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-149319...p_89%3AShimano

I've tried both pedals, and the extra width engages with the rubber to help provide a larger platform. I actually have more hot-spot issues with my SPD-SL (road) pedals, than these, although I suspect that's a function of shoe fit and cleat placement.
Old 09-07-15, 01:51 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13804 Post(s)
Liked 4,648 Times in 2,549 Posts
I use MTB pedals and a road/touring shoe that has a recessed cleat. The one I have is discontinued, but Giro makes a version - Territory? - Road - Shoes - Men's - Cycling .

Feels the same as my old road pedal/shoe set up, while riding. I mainly changed to have two-sided entry without going to Speedplays.

Last edited by rjones28; 09-07-15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 02:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Lots of people use MTB shoes with road pedals. SPD road pedals with SPD cleats on MTB shoes are used extensively by urban and fixed-gear riders and lots of road roadies switch to MTB shoes for the winter.

I use Shimano A530 dual-sided flat/SPD with touring shoes on my fixed gear as shown below. I plan on switching to SPD road pedals and MTB shoes for the fixed gear bike and have been thinking about switching over my road bike from speedplay to SPD for this very reason - so that I could wear MTB shoes in the winter.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-15, 02:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13052 Post(s)
Liked 7,981 Times in 4,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Carkar7

With a MTB shoe?

I often go casual bike riding with my non-roadie friends, and we typically end up in crowded areas that involves a lot of walking. I would like to be able to have a road shoe for performance purposes and a MTB shoe for casual purposes, without having to change pedals. Any recommendations please?

Thanks!
What performance are you looking for? Carbon sole? There are race-oriented MTB shoes with that. So you could get one casual SPD shoe and one race SPD shoe. I guess that would suck if you already have a favorite 3-bolt shoe, though.

Lightness? How light are you looking for?
Old 09-07-15, 03:42 PM
Carkar7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Lots of people use MTB shoes with road pedals. SPD road pedals with SPD cleats on MTB shoes are used extensively by urban and fixed-gear riders and lots of road roadies switch to MTB shoes for the winter.

I use Shimano A530 dual-sided flat/SPD with touring shoes on my fixed gear as shown below. I plan on switching to SPD road pedals and MTB shoes for the fixed gear bike and have been thinking about switching over my road bike from speedplay to SPD for this very reason - so that I could wear MTB shoes in the winter.

-Tim-
Hey tim, what kind of shoes are those?
Old 09-07-15, 08:00 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Mtb shoes with road pedals? No one does that, because it's physically impossible.

This picture illustrates what makes a mtb bike shoe - a small cleat, surrounded on each side by tread (mtn shoes are usually not leather, but the white part in this pic points where the extra tread is on a mtn bike shoe that's not on a road shoe):

This picture illustrates the side of a road cleat on a road shoe:

You cannot put a road cleat (which is needed for using with a road pedal) onto a mountain bike shoe - it won't fit inside the tread on the bottom, and the holes are not drilled into the shoe for it.

Lots of people ride mountain bike pedals on road bikes, but to switch back and forth they have to switch both the shoe and the pedal.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-07-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 08:09 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Carkar7

With a MTB shoe?

Thanks!
There's no difference between road and mtn shoes for performance purposes. Whether there was or wasn't before carbon fiber soles I don't know, but there isn't since shoes are made with them. There's also quite some debate over whether clipless improves efficiency at all versus good flat shoes and good flat pedals - people did studies and found no difference other than clipless feeling slightly faster, but then again those studies and tests weren't done in real world conditions. Point being it's not a huge gap between clipless and good flats - any difference between mtn and road I don't think exists at all, other than style and personal preference.

The closest thing I know of for full road pedals is either speedplay walkable cleat covers:

You don't have to take them on and off, you can clip in and out with them on the shoe. They also make coffee shop covers that you do take on and off. Either one makes your shoes about as walkable as mtn bike shoes - which is to say fine for fairly short distances (into a store), but your feet would hurt if you went hiking with them.

Otherwise I'd just suggest switching to a mtn bike pedal and cleat, and having 2 pairs of shoes - 1 with a stiff carbon sole, the other with a far more flexible walkable sole.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-07-15 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 08:42 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I use MTB pedals and a road/touring shoe that has a recessed cleat. The one I have is discontinued, but Giro makes a version - Territory? - Road - Shoes - Men's - Cycling .

Feels the same as my old road pedal/shoe set up, while riding. I mainly changed to have two-sided entry without going to Speedplays.
QFT!

I still run my old CT40 shoes (Shimano Click'r) and some M540 pedals (great pedals) with the SH-56 cleats which allow for plenty of float. I don't seem to have any issues with hot spots, etc. and I've ridden everything up to a century. In fact, many of my friends start complaining about that kind of stuff on the road pedal setups before I do.

Furthermore.....I'm not even sure why road setup is still popular.

1.) SPD's are easy in & out and double-sided so just....I dunno....super easy

2.) Whenever I encounter problems coming off a light......it's usually somebody in a road pedal that can't get it flipped right & I just about stall & have to unclip my SPD's so I can allow them to get back in.

3.) Walking....'nuff said

I road with a guy this weekend who runs Candies with some nice Lake shoes. When I was giving everyone in our group the business about road vs SPD, he spoke out for the same. (He runs beautiful Dogma so his stuff is no joke). Was nice to see somebody else not convinced they needed a road shoe.....on a Dogma, no less.
Old 09-07-15, 09:05 PM
GAPavedTrailRdr

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2013 Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wanted shoes that I could commute with and keep on all day at work. The SPD cleat is pretty common, and there are some street-wear shoes available in it. I bought these shoes a couple of months ago:

Shimano WM34 Bike Shoes - Women's - REI.com

and I use them with these pedals:
Forté Campus Pedals

They work fine together, but it's worth mentioning that the shoes are stiffer in the sole and that might affect whether you want to walk around in them with friends that much.
Old 09-08-15, 01:48 AM
Marin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to be able to walk in your cycling shoes, you need SPD pedals and shoes. There are some touring shoes that don't look out of place on a road bike.

I just bought a pair of Giro Rumble VRs since 2 of my 3 road bikes are now set up with SPDs (commuter/CX and the road/gravel steel bike), only the proper full carbon aero superlight race bike has Time road pedals.
Old 09-08-15, 02:07 AM
92Esquire

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use the SPD's and mtb shoes - very easy to walk in. However, when I started riding longer distances, I got hot spots - BAD. Stopped in at a local shop. Guy behind the counter was working on a bike and asked me if I needed help. I told him I was looking at new shoes because I was getting hot spots. He never even looked up at me - just said "time to give up the SPD's, son."

I went to a road shoe with SPD-SL's, and I have not had hot spots since. Perhaps more modern MTB shoes are different, but mine were not suitable for longer rides. I will say that the pedals were much easier to use than the single-sided road pedals. I still have the SPD's on my mountain bike.