Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 08:35 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone thinks car traffic will be hell tomorrow and Thursday with the Pope in town, so I figured I'd better start getting used to commuting with my new Chrome backpack instead of pannier - because it'd be a bit easier to ride between cars - if it comes down to that. I was a bit concerned how my previously injured lower back/hip would feel, but my back generally felt fine as long as I worked on keeping the shoulders rolled back, the spine straight and long - standard stuff in hatha yoga and other forms of exercises (eg. weight lifting, kettlebell exercises) for preventing a rounded lower back.

Morning ride was about 63F all the way - never really warmed up by the time I arrived at work. In other words, it was the most pleasant morning commute I've had yet. A bit of chill to start, but the backpack kept me warm, and it didn't take long for the body to heat up.

This was my first full commute with the new trekking bar and the MKS Lambda pedals. Really love the pedals. Because of the huge surface area, each pedal stroke takes less effort.

The trekking bar got a bit uncomfortable to grip with my hands in the inner flats position, where the brake handles, bell, and twist shifter are. I just wasn't used to riding with a straight handlebar, which is what the inner flats of a trekking bar feel like. I also had the Zefal Spy mirror mounted on the left side of the trekking bar. The Zefal proved to be useless as it was impossible to adjust the up-down viewing angle on the fly. I got a lot of practice looking over my shoulder without causing the bike to wobble sideways, as well as using my ears to hear approaching cars on my left. Before my evening ride, I removed the Zefal, which improved left-hand comfort in the inner flat hand position. I tried pulling my elbows in to help reduce the wrist bend in this position. I find the side hand position to be the most comfortable cruising position. My torso is a little less upright there, but it's fine. The front curve hand position proved to be as effective against headwind as I'd hoped.

The evening ride was just as pleasant as the morning ride. Felt like the calm before the "storm" that everyone's expecting tomorrow - record crowds, crazy traffic, etc.
Old 09-22-15, 09:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
I came fizzing down off the pedestrian bridge over US50 and merged up next to a shirtless guy with a Serious Commuter setup, floppy yellow panniers and a high-set trekking bar on his MTB-with-slicks. I suppose I must have looked the business leaned over on my Ronald McDonald Cannondale, but I told him he was going to pass me up as soon as I lost my momentum, and he did.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-23-15, 04:53 AM
esmith2039

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A little warmer this morning but the wind's been light this week which I enjoy! Had to use my pepper spray this morning.. he sure didn't like that! I guess it's karma I almost ran into a huge puddle of vomit a few miles down the road... yuck!
Old 09-23-15, 06:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
It was a very serene and beautiful commute this morning. Really nice. I rode the fixed gear and felt somewhat strong. Surprising...
Old 09-23-15, 06:34 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Comfortable temps for the commute this morning. A nice little sunrise before it disappeared behind the clouds. It's been cloudy all week, though it cleared up for a bit last night.
Old 09-23-15, 07:27 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Fast commute this morning with reasonably fresh legs and a nice tailwind much of the way. Unfortunately, the forecasters are saying we've got about 4-5 days of rain coming our way, but I'll believe it when I see it. Our forecasters are notoriously bad at predicting rain.
Old 09-23-15, 08:14 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
Consecutive commute #105 :

Rained pretty heavy during the night, and is supposed to start raining again this afternoon. Had a break in the rain on my way to work so while the pavement was still wet, I didn't have any weather problems outside of a moderate head wind. Looks like I may get soaked on the way home though.

Last week my wife got sick with a cold. Over the weekend my son came down with the same thing and missed the last two days of school. I started coming down with it on Monday night and by last night was feeling pretty rotten. Before I went to bed my wife was trying to convince me that I shouldn't be riding in the rain when I'm sick and I should drive the car, but then conceded and said, "I know you're going to ride no matter what." I reasoned that if I'm too sick to ride, then I'm too sick to go to work period. Felt a bit rugged when I first got up but actually the ride seemed to loosen up the congestion. Right now I'm not 100% but really not feeling too bad.

My front headlight on my rain bike was dead, so I swapped out the batteries before I left. It wasn't too long ago that I put those batteries in the thing. Then once the fresh batteries were installed I noticed that even in the "off" position the LEDs were just slightly illuminated. Not enough to be noticeable unless you're staring directly into the light, but it definitely was still lit. That would explain why the batteries drained down so fast. If I slightly unscrew the front cover the light goes out, so I guess that's what I'm doing now instead of using the switch. Still seems to work fine otherwise, I just can't turn it off.
Old 09-23-15, 08:25 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another glorious morning ride. Funny how the first day of fall has identical weather to the last day of summer here.

Fear of traffic congestion caused by the Papal Visit kept a lot of people home telecommuting today. i noticed a bit less car traffic than usual.
Old 09-23-15, 08:31 AM
groovestew

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Bit warmer than yesterday (3C instead of 0), and a nice commute overall. I go through a ravine on my commute, and the climb up in the morning is a short (~50 vertical feet) but pretty steep gravel section. I don't usually have a lot of trouble with the climb, but it's steep enough that I did stall once on my fixie. Anyway, this morning, I came up behind a guy on a Segway just before I hit the climb, and naturally, I gave chase! Those things are surprisingly fast uphill! I lost! I managed to redeem myself on the flats though
Old 09-23-15, 01:29 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
DROVE the car... too much stuff to do and not enough time for a ride home tonight. Cool thing is I have a date night with my 12 yo daughter! I am looking forward to it!
Old 09-24-15, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Liked 275 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Cool thing is I have a date night with my 12 yo daughter! I am looking forward to it!
Very nice, a nice way to spend your evening.

I had a nice uneventful commute. It was a cool 45f degrees when I left the house with dark skies.
Old 09-24-15, 06:17 AM
mgw4jc

60F this morning was a little cool, but I still went with the shorts and short-sleeve jersey. Loving the fall weather so far. I'm not sweaty at all and the afternoons are quite nice.

There is a chance for rain this evening, so we'll see if that changes my mind or not.
Old 09-24-15, 06:50 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

58F here the north of you haha. I rode with knee warmers and arm warmer plus vest. It was warm. I took the vest off 1/3 of the way in.
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
60F this morning was a little cool, but I still went with the shorts and short-sleeve jersey. Loving the fall weather so far. I'm not sweaty at all and the afternoons are quite nice . There is a chance for rain this evening, so we'll see if that changes my mind or not.
Supposed to be rainy for the next two days. I am heading out of town so I will drive tomorrow
[MENTION=297321]essiemyra[/MENTION] it was a great way to spend my evening. Good company and some good food/ errands together. plus this sunset when we were leaving the store.

I was going to upload a picture but it looks horrible. I guess I will just have the memory of the beautiful sky. There were so many vivid colors too.
Old 09-24-15, 06:57 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Took my chances and rode today, despite forecasts for afternoon showers. I'll take my chances considering that it's supposed to rain here tomorrow and all weekend. My ride in to work was so nice that I added an extra mile through downtown.
Old 09-24-15, 07:58 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Overslept till 6 yesterday morning, but rode to work anyway. Left the house about 6:25 I think. Got to work at 7:45. Quick shower and ready to go at 8:05.

Coming home was okay, great weather. The section of my commute being used for a detour around adjacent state highway construction is really getting to be a pain. So. Much. Traffic. On a 2-lane 35mph road that usually has almost no traffic now has tons of cars and even big trucks that normally use the 55mph state highway. On part of it I have to climb a big hill, and I really felt like I was holding up people. Oh well, I was using the road before they started using the road, so they can wait.
Old 09-24-15, 08:06 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Seems like the universe flipped the dark switch when Fall started. 56F this morning so no complaints. Our dog died yesterday and a big part of my morning rituals revolved around her - shots (diabetes), feeding, putting out - I didn't know what to do with myself this morning so just left early. Bike heals all
Old 09-24-15, 08:22 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perfect morning. I left a little before 6:30 and made good time. Ran a good chunk of the ride under lights, but dawn did come around a little after 7AM. Traffic was a lot lighter than it is when I leave 15 minutes later. I may aim to leave at this time more often.
Old 09-24-15, 08:49 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Third glorious morning ride in a row. I wanted to see how close I could get to the Capitol, since the Pope was scheduled to speak there at 9:30 AM. I got as close as 3rd St NW and Madison, where I hit the metal barricade. Backtracking and riding random streets to arrive at the office wasn't bad though.
Old 09-24-15, 09:16 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 great commutes this week. I've been taking the longer scenic route and enjoying the nice weather. My wife got a new car and so that means I now have a car also. I'm pretty proud of myself for riding this week even though I have a car. I'm afraid I'll get lazy and drive more often.
Old 09-24-15, 09:42 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

sorry to hear about your dog passing away. They do make big impacts in our lives don't they?
Hope you enjoy your ride home. [

QUOTE=arsprod;18190387]Seems like the universe flipped the dark switch when Fall started. 56F this morning so no complaints. Our dog died yesterday and a big part of my morning rituals revolved around her - shots (diabetes), feeding, putting out - I didn't know what to do with myself this morning so just left early. Bike heals all[/QUOTE]
Old 09-24-15, 09:53 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Seems like the universe flipped the dark switch when Fall started. 56F this morning so no complaints. Our dog died yesterday and a big part of my morning rituals revolved around her - shots (diabetes), feeding, putting out - I didn't know what to do with myself this morning so just left early. Bike heals all
Dang man, that's tough. Sorry to hear.
Old 09-24-15, 10:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,629 Times in 1,530 Posts
I rode in again today. My big reason is that the pope is visiting NYC today, and on the radio, they warned that (1) driving a car would bring a world of misery and (2) even mass transit could have problems. I normally don't drive a car, so (1) doesn't affect me, but I don't feel like sitting in a hot subway station waiting for a delayed and crowded train.

As I was riding along the river, pedaling into my usual morning headwind, I was listening to the radio in my headphones, and the announcer said the weather is very nice but maybe a little breezy. 'Scuse me, I'm on the river, and it's not a little breezy, it's downright stiff. But that's OK. I rode at a pace to avoid sweating heavily, because I'm wearing a dress shirt today.

The bike path has been extended, as of yesterday or today! There is a brand new ramp going from the northern end down to the street level. Now there is a set of stairs plus a hilly torn up street I don't have to take any more. Thank you, Parks Department! From there, I took the long route which is very hilly but also involves less riding in unpleasant street traffic. I have to climb a set of very steep stairs. The stairs has a ramp for bikes, but it barely helps because of the steepness. The stairs lead to a railroad overpass. I rode on the overpass and then remembered that there are stairs on the other side, too. But these are not steep. They are the type where you walk two or three steps forward and then one step down. I decided to try riding down the stairs. Ump, ump, ump, that was rough, but my bike and I survived.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-24-15, 10:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,629 Times in 1,530 Posts
[MENTION=322871]arsprod[/MENTION], I'm very sorry about your dog. My dog is 12 years old, so she can't be too much longer for this world, though she's doing pretty well now. I think about the inevitable day when she's gone. We probably won't get another dog any time soon, so it will be sad and lonely.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-24-15, 11:24 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by arsprod
Sorry to hear about your pup. Leave a little earlier. Tinker with the bike. Enjoy the memories.
Old 09-24-15, 08:39 PM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
45 degrees cool crisp morning, absolutely perfect weather to ride to work in. Coming home 65 sunny 20 knot headwind in the face the whole way. Luckily fairly flat her so it was like hill training with the constant headwind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.