Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help a newbie pick his first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 07:57 AM
blitzblitz41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got in to cycling about a year and a half ago. I bought a Trek 7.5 hybrid. I've enjoyed the bike but as I've gotten in better shape, lost weight, and am doing longer rides I feel I'm ready to move to a road bike. I'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and don't want to spend over 2K. I was considering a Fuji Altamira 1.1. It's a carbon frame and has Ultegra components. It looks like Fuji added a new model and has lowered the price on this model. It seems like a lot of bike for the money. The MSRP is $1,580. Anyone have thoughts on this bike. Again, I'm new to road bikes and a bunch of technical jargon will likely fly over my head. Thanks in advance. Also, one more questiosn...when people buy road bikes is there any negotiating price at the LBS?
Old 09-29-15, 08:35 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$1580 for an Ultegra equipped Carbon Fiber bike is pretty good. Ride it and if it fits you well, get it. Is it full Ultegra at that price or does it have 105 stuff at some points? 11-speed or older 10-speed?
Old 09-29-15, 08:55 AM
SpikedLemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzblitz41
when people buy road bikes is there any negotiating price at the LBS?
Absolutely. Ask them what they can do.
Obviously the best case for negotiation is to ask about leftover models from last year (or current year as it's getting to the end).
If they can't/won't move: see if they'll offer discounts on accessories.

I ordered a non-stock leftover model at a fine discount from my LBS.
Old 09-29-15, 09:08 AM
blitzblitz41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
$1580 for an Ultegra equipped Carbon Fiber bike is pretty good. Ride it and if it fits you well, get it. Is it full Ultegra at that price or does it have 105 stuff at some points? 11-speed or older 10-speed?

As far as "Full Ultegra". I'm not well versed enough to know but here is what it says on the website:

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra, braze-on mount
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra, 11-speed
SHIFTERS Shimano Ultegra, STI, 11-speed
CASSETTE Shimano 105, 11-28T, 11-speed

Also, as you can see it is 11 speed. Is the above full Ultegra?
Old 09-29-15, 09:21 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
"Full Ultegra" would mean that the cassette, brakes and crankset components would be Ultegra as well.
Nothing at all wrong with 105 components though... Ultegra just has a nicer finish or "look" to them (subjective) and usually weigh a little less.
That's a great price for a carbon framed bike.
Old 09-29-15, 09:25 AM
blitzblitz41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLiNCK
"Full Ultegra" would mean that the cassette, brakes and crankset components would be Ultegra as well.
Nothing at all wrong with 105 components though... Ultegra just has a nicer finish or "look" to them (subjective) and usually weigh a little less.
That's a great price for a carbon framed bike.
The brake levers are Ultegra but the Cassette is 105
Old 09-29-15, 10:13 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
The Ultegra brake levers or "brifters" work great. The brake calipers (the component that holds the brake pads) could also be 105 or Ultegra.
105 components are very good and are considered by many to be the best "bang for the buck" in regards to cost vs. performance/quality.
You can always change out any components down the road as you see fit...
An example would be the 105 cassette. It will wear out eventually (after 1000's of miles if you keep it and your chain well maintained) A new 105 11spd cassette costs around $50 and a Ultegra 11spd cassette costs $65 (Canadian prices at ProBikeKit). The Ultegra cassette is slightly lighter (212g) than the 105 (284g) and has a nicer (shinier) finish but performance wise it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the two. In comparison, a Dura-Ace 11spd cassette would cost you $205(!!) but it weighs only 166g. You could install any of these cassettes on the Fuji, when the time comes, and they would all work great but is the 118g weight difference between the 105 and Dura-Ace cassette worth $155? If you are trying to get your bike as light as possible it is.
Personally, I like the price point of Ultegra but there is absolutely nothing wrong with 105.
Old 09-29-15, 10:17 AM
capsisking

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 4 Rival, 2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD10 or CAAD12

*shrugs*
Someone had to say it...
Old 09-30-15, 09:19 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That seems like a really good bike for the $.

Dont even sweat the cassette being different.
Old 09-30-15, 10:18 AM
Gramin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reach out to your Trek dealer, tell him you want to buy a road bike, and see if he can find you a 2015 Emonda SL5 for sub 2k (shouldn't be an issue on the $, might be harder on finding the bike). Better frame than the Fuji but you'll have the full 105 11spd groupset. In my opinion, get a better frame, as upgrading components is easier and you can upgrade the components that matter most first.
Old 09-30-15, 10:29 AM
Gramin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reach out to your Trek dealer, tell him you want to buy a road bike, and see if he can find you a 2015 Emonda SL5 for sub 2k (shouldn't be an issue on the $, might be harder on finding the bike). Better frame than the Fuji but you'll have the full 105 11spd groupset. In my opinion, get a better frame, as upgrading components is easier and you can upgrade the components that matter most first.