Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Where's the STEEL at?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Where's the STEEL at?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 12:49 PM
Toona

Bikes: Fuji Berkeley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where's the STEEL at?

So after reading the latest edition of BICYCLING magazine I suddenly became terrified to ride my bike. There was a story about how a guy bought a pair of HYLIX carbon bars on eBay and they snapped on him and left hum FUBAR!

So I got to thinking, "Gee, I bought a pair of Aluminum bars off eBay. I wonder if they can snap?"

So I looked back in my purchase history to find out that the guy closed shop for a while. Then I found a cached page for his store...AND SURE ENOUGH 1 customer review that said "Cheap Aluminum, snapped after 12 months. Lucky I didn't break my shoulder"

That's when I began to research carbon, alloys, and aluminum in bars. The general consensus was that they all can suddenly fail, but steel is more likely to give warning or bend...not just crumble. So I was like "OK...then ill just buy a pair of Cromoly-Steel bullhorns and have peace of mind."

One problem......I cant find any bullhorns in 25.4 clamp diameter in STEEL. Nowhere on the great wide internet can I find ONE STINKING PAIR of STEEL BULLHORN TT TRI bars that I can put REVERSE BRAKE LEVERS ON!

So I want to know why is this? And as far as I am concerned riders like me don't plan on winning any triathlons or races at all. We only want a bike to train with and maybe occasionally use in a local Tri. Weight means nothing.... it is DURABILITY we seek! At least that's what I SEEK!

I want to get on a bike and not have to worry about some sudden catastrophe. And until I read that article in BICYCLING magazine, (which subscription I now consider money well spent and credit with potentially saving my life), I was thoroughly unaware that bar failures were even possible!

I did take all the bike parts I compiled over the last year to my local shop to install. And I really think after they examined the bar they should have at least told me that bars do fail. Apparently this is not common knowledge, as I would have no more suspected a bicycle bar to suddenly crumble anymore that a steering wheel in a car to suddenly snap.

So does anyone know where I can get a set of 25.4 STEEL bullhorns? I like them because of the leverage and feel. But if they ever broke under me I would be screwed.

This is my bike below. A old Fuji Berkeley that may be a bit too big for me. But you know what I DON'T CARE! I don't care about fit, size, weight.....NOTHING.....except for durability..maybe some handling,(which explains the bullhorns).

As a matter of fact I want a heavy bike...because I think its a better workout.

Im not going to win the Tour. Im not going to win the GYRO. I just want a freaking workout, without risking life and limb!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8813.jpg (98.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_8806.jpg (96.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-15, 01:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
You're another victim of media hysteria.

Yes, stuff can fail, including just about anything. But, for example, aluminum handlebars have been dominant in the sports bike category since the sixties. That's hundreds of millions of aluminum bars in use for the last 50 years. And yet, we don't hear much about injuries caused by failure. Not because there aren't any, but simply because it's so rare.

Carbon fiber is newer, and since the focus is on minimum weight, they're engineered closer to the limit. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that they're more likely to fail, partly because of a lower safety/overbuild margin, and partly because the folks who buy and ride them tend to be more serious riders who are either stronger or ride more miles, or both. So even though the bars are slightly more likely to break, the odds are still very against any one (yours) breaking at any time.

So buy whatever you prefer, but don't let media induced, exaggerated fears of breakage drive your decision process. If you're looking to ride safely, take reasonable care of things like brakes, wheel mounting, etc, but put your energy most to riding safely in traffic, since mechanical failure (all mechanical failures) is one of the smallest contributors to rider injury, and classic collisions the greatest buy a huge margin.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-10-15, 01:31 PM
Toona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, after checking the customer review at the store of my last purchase, I had all the evidence I needed. The guy said the bars snapped suddenly, (of course this could be a Chine Mfg. issue), but it was enough to scare the crap out of me.

Now I really want steel bullhorns...but I would like your opinion on these bars below. And remember I might be placing my life on your opinion.

So tell me can I trust these Sunlite Sunlite Handlebar Road Alloy Bullhorn 25 4X400SL | eBay Alloys not to break? I was thinking if I absolutely could not find steel I might go with these.

The BICYCLE magazine seemed to suggest that the Chinese stuff is not safe and if it fails there is no legal recourse. They did say that Bontrager or Cinelli would be liable for failures and they have a policy. I don't know about Sunlite though.

So what do you think?

And can you, or anyone ,tell me where I can get steel bullhorns in 25.4 clamp size?
Old 10-10-15, 01:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Nobody can promise you absolute safety since anything can break, but I don't sweat this kind of nonsense.

IMO- sudden, catastrophic failure of mechanical parts, including bars and stems is rare enough to fall within the "background noise" level of possibilities. It's right up there with getting struck by lightning, having a rock fall off an overpass as I go below, falling down my stone steps, and so on.

If you look at the 800/year bicycle fatalities over the last decade, you won't find many that were caused by mechanical failure of all kinds, and even fewer (if any) caused by sudden catastrophic failure of a handle bar of any kind.

The media thrive on fear because it sells papers (or whatever) but reality is very different.

So, that's what I think, but I'm not telling you what you should think and do.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-10-15, 03:11 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Nobody can promise you absolute safety since anything can break, but I don't sweat this kind of nonsense.

IMO- sudden, catastrophic failure of mechanical parts, including bars and stems is rare enough to fall within the "background noise" level of possibilities. It's right up there with getting struck by lightning, having a rock fall off an overpass as I go below, falling down my stone steps, and so on.

If you look at the 800/year bicycle fatalities over the last decade, you won't find many that were caused by mechanical failure of all kinds, and even fewer (if any) caused by sudden catastrophic failure of a handle bar of any kind.

The media thrive on fear because it sells papers (or whatever) but reality is very different.

So, that's what I think, but I'm not telling you what you should think and do.
I fully agree that the probability of being seriously harmed or killed by the breakage of a mechanical part on a bicycle is rare enough to be a "man bites dog" kind of story. However, stuff does break. I've broken pedals, frames (six steel frames in various places), cranks, chains, hubs, rims, freewheels, derailleurs, cables and I don't know what else (). However, true to your view, none of these failures ever caused me to crash.

Funny, in all the miles I have ridden, I've never had a handlebar fail on me. I've got one bar that has over a quarter-million miles on it, and I wouldn't give the possibility of it failing a second thought. Other than pros riding cutting-edge stuff in mass sprints, I wouldn't consider bar failure to be even remotely likely. If I were going to get worked up about a part that is likely to fail and has real consequences when it does, I'd worry more about pedals and front tires (but I don't ). Maybe the OP needs steel tires too.
Old 10-10-15, 03:31 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toona
As a matter of fact I want a heavy bike...because I think its a better workout.

You're quite wrong about that. The quality of the workout depends on how much power you put out, and that is independent of the weight of the bike. If you put out 200 watts on a heavy bike you'll go a bit slower than if you put out 200watts on a light bike, but the workout will be just the same.

As for handlebars breaking, it does happen but its rare. People occasionally die on public transport, too, but I still ride buses and trains. Don't you?

Nothing is 100% safe. That doesn't mean that everything is dangerous. Just ride your bike.
Old 10-10-15, 04:58 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had the same frame since I bought my Specialized Allez Triple in 2003. Sure there was a recall in 2012. But that was nine years after I bought my bike and it didn't concern my model or year of purchase. So, Unless it is that I don't ride my road bike. As if it were a dirt bike. I never buy bike components or supplies, off of Ebay. I don't use bullhorns. My handlebars are also original. Nothing has snapped, cracked, or broken in twelve years.
Old 10-10-15, 06:36 PM
mr_bill

Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
If you suspect you've bought counterfeit inferior handlebars - don't use them.

The problem isn't the material. The problem is you got a deal too good to be true, and it might not be true.

Purchase quality handlebars from *REPUTABLE* sources and you have next to nothing to worry about.

It won't matter if they are aluminum alloy, carbon fiber or steel (if you can find a steel one) - they'll all be properly engineered to serve your needs.

The counterfeits? They'll be made to *LOOK* like a properly engineered product.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-10-15 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 09:12 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If you suspect you've bought counterfeit inferior handlebars - don't use them.

The problem isn't the material. The problem is you got a deal too good to be true, and it might not be true.

Purchase quality handlebars from *REPUTABLE* sources and you have next to nothing to worry about.

It won't matter if they are aluminum alloy, carbon fiber or steel (if you can find a steel one) - they'll all be properly engineered to serve your needs.

The counterfeits? They'll be made to *LOOK* like a properly engineered product.

-mr. bill
The OP should go to a reputable LBS to get bike components. Apart from Bike Nashbar, stay away from making online purchases for bike components.
Old 10-11-15, 01:33 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
Never say never! I had a set of GB All-Rounder bars (yep, quality) snap on me while I was climbing a hill. Bought them at Pearson's in London (yep, reputable) in the early 80's. Aluminum will eventually fatigue to the point that it fails. I replaced them with a set of Nitto chrome moly bars that were a pretty close match. Nitto also makes steel bullhorns. Look for RB018 SLP or RB021 SLP. Not sure that they are 25.4 though.
Old 10-11-15, 02:43 PM
Toona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Never say never! I had a set of GB All-Rounder bars (yep, quality) snap on me while I was climbing a hill. Bought them at Pearson's in London (yep, reputable) in the early 80's. Aluminum will eventually fatigue to the point that it fails. I replaced them with a set of Nitto chrome moly bars that were a pretty close match. Nitto also makes steel bullhorns. Look for RB018 SLP or RB021 SLP. Not sure that they are 25.4 though.
I knew it! Thanks for validating my concerns. All I was saying was that the store that I bought them from had a bad review. Actually there was only ONE review for these bars. And the guy said they snapped unexpectedly. And that they were CHEAP aluminum. This had to be a quality control issue that I assume is poor Chinese Mfg. Im sure there are good bars that come out of China....this isn't one of them according to the review.

Im pretty sure he examined the bars post break and saw something that indicated poor quality.

Here is the original ad for these bars:

This is a RARE size bullhorn bar: It has 22.2mm handlebar grip diameter and a 25.4mm stem clamp diameter (center diameter). This is very uncommon, so if you've been looking for a bar to fit your mountain bike or older road bike with a 25.4mm clamp diameter, these will do it.

Get your handlebar fix for your Track, TT, fixed gear/single speed, city or commuter bike. Bullhorn handlebars are great bars, they give you quite a few hand positions for riding. This is for one (1) bullhorn style handlebar.

Features:

* Bars are NOT pre-drilled for cables. NOT pre-drilled for cables
* Bullhorn style handlebars
* 25.4mm/1" Clamp diameter
* 22.2mm bars for 7/8" brakes, etc.
* 18mm inside diameter (ID) - in case you want to use bar-end brake levers
* 440mm/17.3" wide
* Straight across bars - no rise/drop
* Matte black painted aluminum
* Weight is 255g (9 oz.)

Anyway Im looking for exactly what is listed above....except in STEEL-CROMOLY HEAVY METAL! Can anyone help me? Or is it that hard to find bullhorns made out of steel? Id like to know why there aren't plenty available. I checked and Nitto dont make 'em.

I guess I will go with the Sunlite if I have no luck, but I sure will not train with the ones I have because of the bad review.
Old 10-11-15, 03:33 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
The OP should go to a reputable LBS to get bike components. Apart from Bike Nashbar, stay away from making online purchases for bike components.
You kidding? You think Wiggle, Chain Reaction et al don't sell genuine branded high-quality components?
Old 10-12-15, 06:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^^ Me too! What up with that?
Old 10-12-15, 08:16 PM
Toona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WELL SOMEBODYS been listening! Found these

Soma El Toro Steel Pursuit Bar

If you snap aluminum bullhorns with regularity, you may need to step up to El Toro.

Side-view car mirrors will shudder as you roll up.

Chrome plated Tange Steel.

65mm drop. 38 to 42cm center-to-center.

Stem clamp diameter 26.0mm.

Bar diameter 23.8mm, works with Dia Compe Shot and Gold Finger levers (MTB brake levers and shifters will not fit)

Weights 38cm: 565g, 40cm: 570g, 42cm: 580g.

(NOTE: Our Urban Pursuit Levers are not compatible with these bars w/o the 20.6mm+ plug. Width measured center to center)

If you snap aluminum bullhorns with regularity, you may need to step up to El Toro.

Side-view car mirrors will shudder as you roll up.

Chrome plated Tange Steel.

65mm drop. 38 to 42cm center-to-center.

Stem clamp diameter 26.0mm.

Bar diameter 23.8mm, works with Dia Compe Shot and Gold Finger levers (MTB brake levers and shifters will not fit)

Weights 38cm: 565g, 40cm: 570g, 42cm: 580g.

(NOTE: Our Urban Pursuit Levers are not compatible with these bars w/o the 20.6mm+ plug. Width measured center to center)\

So I guess that settles that. One thing though I need to change the Nitto stem on my bike because these are 26.0 clamp diameter. And I will be buying the Soma brand since they seemed to be the only company to bother to offer what I needed.

They said in the ad above "Snap" aluminum bullhorns regularly? As far as I am concerned that is a question that should never be asked. If there is a good chance it can snap REGULARLY AT THAT....I don't want it.

Old 10-12-15, 08:22 PM
mr_bill

Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Toona

They said in the ad above "Snap" aluminum bullhorns regularly? As far as I am concerned that is a question that should never be asked. If there is a good chance it can snap REGULARLY AT THAT....I don't want it.

You wear Keirin Cut Jeans? No?

Then they aren't talking about you.

But buy what you wanna....

-mr. bill