Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any Help Appreciated

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Any Help Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 11:05 AM
seekermeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Help Appreciated

I'm planning on buying an adult folding trike, but have been plodding through Google returns so long that my head is spinning. I have formed a pretty good idea of what I want...at least 250 lbs max. weight, 3 speed or greater, folding, and hopefully not much more than $500.00.

So far the closest I've found is the Adventurer 3 speed, but a couple of questions are bothering me. About the only place I've found it available is Camping World, but they aren't really a bike dealer, and they had very little information available about it. The manufacturer is in China, and I didn't find any means to order parts or even warranty access. What little outside information I found isn't particularly favorable, but then isn't exactly damning either. I know that most accessories are universal, but I'm less sure about parts. Beyond the frame itself, what other parts would it be mandatory to get from the manufacturer?

If anyone has a recommendation for a better trike meeting my minimum requirements, I'm all ears. For comparison, this is the trike I'm talking about:

https://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...s3kaAgaK8P8HAQ

Last edited by seekermeister; 10-12-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 11:26 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'd be looking at the Made in USA Worksman Port-0-Trike

Or for a little more dough Truebicycle's offering

Last edited by BruceMetras; 10-12-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 11:33 AM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, but I already did. The problem with it is it doesn't meet the minimum weight capacity I mentioned
Old 10-12-15, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
The Chinese Costs Of manufacturing for Export is how the importing sellers can even get down to the price you are willing to spend.

MY LBS has other brands they sell , But Im not there .. You have a Favorite Local Bike Shop?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 12:40 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Chinese Costs Of manufacturing for Export is how the importing sellers can even get down to the price you are willing to spend.

MY LBS has other brands they sell , But Im not there .. You have a Favorite Local Bike Shop?

No. I haven't even touched a bike since I was a kid, and that was so long ago, what little I remember now is irrelevant.
Old 10-12-15, 01:13 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seekermeister
Thanks, but I already did. The problem with it is it doesn't meet the minimum weight capacity I mentioned
250lb vs 225lb.. I'd imagine Worksman specs their trike conservatively, I'd call Worksman and run it by them .. The Chinese campingworld model looks like a knockoff of the Worksman ..
Old 10-12-15, 01:38 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That might be useful, but as said, the 250 number is minimum. The reason for this is that a primary purpose for the trike for me is to grocery shop, and when I go to the store, I buy a lot. I have a small personal shopping cart, which I hoping to find a way to attach it to the trike, something like a trailer. That cart when loaded down might get close to 100 pounds. Of course, I'm not sure what the yoke weight would come out to, but when you add the weights of the rider, accessories, etc. you need more than 225 lbs to play with. I don't imagine that something would break the first time the trike was overloaded, but I'm sure that the effect would be accumulative. Actually, I would like to have a higher weight limitation, but every thing I've found in that category is not a folding type.
Old 10-12-15, 02:03 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... The reason for this is that a primary purpose for the trike for me is to grocery shop, and when I go to the store, I buy a lot. ...
Consider a Burley Travoy as a possible option. See: https://www.burley.com/product/travoy/

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-12-15, 02:15 PM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diblasi make a folding trike. How about a recumbent trike, many of them fold.
Old 10-12-15, 02:35 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Consider a Burley Travoy as a possible option. See: https://www.burley.com/product/travoy/

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Interesting! I hadn't seen that before. However I don't know that it would work for me, because my shopping cart wouldn't fit on it, because it would ride atop the Travoy's wheels.
Old 10-12-15, 02:37 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpg
Diblasi make a folding trike. How about a recumbent trike, many of them fold.

Don't know, all the recumbents I've seen aren't designed to carry cargo and don't look as though they could be equipped so.

Last edited by seekermeister; 10-12-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 03:18 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting! I hadn't seen that before. However I don't know that it would work for me, because my shopping cart wouldn't fit on it, because it would ride atop the Travoy's wheels.
The Travoy IS the shopping cart. Check out the "market" bags that are available. We have customers who ride to the grocery store, take the Travoy in and use it as their shopping cart.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-12-15, 03:41 PM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does it have to be a trike and does it have to fold? If the cargo carrying aspect is the most important then perhaps a cargo bike is worth looking at instead.
Old 10-12-15, 03:49 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Travoy IS the shopping cart. Check out the "market" bags that are available. We have customers who ride to the grocery store, take the Travoy in and use it as their shopping cart.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
I have no doubt that would work for many people, but not me. That Travoy is just too small to carry the load...volume wise.
Old 10-12-15, 03:50 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpg
Does it have to be a trike and does it have to fold? If the cargo carrying aspect is the most important then perhaps a cargo bike is worth looking at instead.
The answer to both questions is yes.

Last edited by seekermeister; 10-12-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 09:28 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Diblsi trike goes upto 100kg (220 lb). Its also well over a 1000 pounds. Best suited to people who need a small folding trike. Its not as fast to unfold as the rest of the Dibalsi bikes.
Old 10-13-15, 09:36 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
There is another option for those who walk a different path,,,

Atomic Zombie

AtomicZombie - DIY Recumbent Bike, Trike, and Chopper Plans
Old 10-16-15, 11:42 AM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came across a trike I hadn't seen before, the 24" 6 speed Jorvik, made in the United Kingdom. According to the ad...

Jorvik 24" 3 Wheel Folding Adults Tricycle Disabled Trike Brand New RRP £549 | eBay

It has a 420 lb maximum rider weight, which far exceeds any other folding trike I've come across. I haven't had time to really analyze all factors yet, but I'm awaiting a response to several questions from the manufacturer. I'm curious if anyone here knows anything about this and would offer their opinion?
Old 10-16-15, 12:22 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is also the mission brand.
Old 10-16-15, 12:27 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just came across a trike I hadn't seen before, the 24" 6 speed Jorvik, made in the United Kingdom. ... I haven't had time to really analyze all factors yet, but I'm awaiting a response to several questions from the manufacturer. I'm curious if anyone here knows anything about this and would offer their opinion?
I don't know anything about this brand, but the trike does look interesting. Have you asked about the estimated shipping cost to the USA? Also, FWIW, we would charge $130-$150 to assemble this unit. (That charge would include one tune-up within 30 days of the original delivery.) So I expect your total cost would be a bit more than your original budget of $500. Nevertheless, this model might be your best bet.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-16-15, 01:02 PM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know anything about this brand, but the trike does look interesting. Have you asked about the estimated shipping cost to the USA? Also, FWIW, we would charge $130-$150 to assemble this unit. (That charge would include one tune-up within 30 days of the original delivery.) So I expect your total cost would be a bit more than your original budget of $500. Nevertheless, this model might be your best bet.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Yes, I know it would run over my original budget, but as far as I can see, the trike appears to be worth it. Too bad there is ~100 miles between us, or I would talk to you about assembly. The one item that I'm still quite unsure of is that it has a band brake on the rear. That is unlike any other bike I've read about...is that a good item or bad?

Almost forgot. On their website, there is a dropdown box for shipping that estimates the shipping cost at 80 pounds, which is about $124.00.

Last edited by seekermeister; 10-16-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 07:06 AM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had hoped that I would be able to make a decision by now, but it seems that Jorvik doesn't like to answer questions. They've ignored several of mine that I feel are crucial. The first one, I doubt that anyone here can help with, because due to not being able to find access to a manual of the trike, I asked if the trike came with a detailed one? Also what the time factor would be having it shipped via their standard means, versus the expedited offered? However, my two other questions might find an answer here...the first is about the band brake, already mentioned in the last post. The other question is that since it doesn't mention it in the specs, and I didn't see any clue in the photo that it exists, I assume that there is no quick release for the handlebar adjustment. That takes me back to a previous question...could I replace it with an aftermarket release, or would it require a proprietary part?
Old 10-22-15, 09:52 AM
seekermeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've now been waiting a week for answers to my questions from Jorvik, but I've now given up hope. It seems that they don't like telling anyone anything more than they place in their ads. That puts me back to step one, looking for the best trike meeting the specs provided in my OP. Considering the responses here so far, I may be looking for a trike that doesn't exist.
Old 10-22-15, 10:54 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
first of all the shipping cost quoted is bs... unless they own the Royal British Mail...
it cost me at least 200 dlr to ship a 40 lbs carton with a small folding bike to the uk
a bulky trike .....
plus 20 % duty
Clearance fees at customs ?

and than u find out that the bike is made in china
AND that the somewhat liberal amounts of carrying weight are European or worse China based and would never be allowed to say in the USA

get a local built one like worksman
Old 10-22-15, 01:27 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I live in York. I dont know of the shop. There also doesnt seem to be an address on the web page or picture of the shop/ location. I would gladly have a look at the bikes for you otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.