Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

BREAKING NEWS! If you have a SUV you can park where the **** you like!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 05:36 AM
gatto karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These were taken in Stockholm today around h. 13.00

The dotted line at the side of the street is supposed to be a bike lane.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151015_131352.jpg (99.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg
20151015_131330.jpg (99.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 10-15-15, 05:43 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gatto karma
These were taken in Stockholm today around h. 13.00

The dotted line at the side of the street is supposed to be a bike lane.

I would expect that attitude of motorists' in the U.S.. Since this is in Stockholm(Sweden). It is even more disgusting, and appalling!!
Old 10-15-15, 05:49 AM
gatto karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I would expect that attitude of motorists' in the U.S.. Since this is in Stockholm(Sweden). It is even more disgusting, and appalling!!

Let's debunk a myth: cycling infrastructure in Stockholm sucks, and motorists attitude towards bikers in Stockholm is awful.
I have lived in Denmark and other cities in Sweden and there it is much much much better, but Stockholm is on a category of its own.
Old 10-15-15, 06:53 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's debunk a myth: cycling infrastructure in Stockholm sucks, and motorists attitude towards bikers in Stockholm is awful.
I have lived in Denmark and other cities in Sweden and there it is much much much better, but Stockholm is on a category of its own.
Is Copenhagen or Oslo just as bad?
Old 10-15-15, 08:25 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Europeans can be just as bad or worse than Americans when it comes to being selfish jerks.
Old 10-15-15, 08:28 PM
smarkinson

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Just grab his mirror and twist it around or flip it in. Don't break it (that would be vandalism) but just enough to let the driver know that someones been there and that they could have dragged their keys down the side of their car if they wanted to.

I did this once to a motorist who thought he could park his car on a public footpath instead of on his own property. He got the message pretty quick.
Old 10-15-15, 11:02 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Motorists like this is why keys were invented.
Old 10-16-15, 06:25 AM
digger

Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Infrastructure in Stockholm sucks??? (!!!)
I've been there twice and it seems like heaven to me. Sweden-ites seem much more tolerant and open-minded than the largely red-neck attitudes in North America.

...but I've only been there a total of 6 weeks.

Jeez, there are bikes everywhere!
Old 10-16-15, 06:53 AM
gatto karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
I may realize that from a North America perspective (or maybe from a non-Scandinavian one) biking infrastructure in Stockholm can look pretty great.

The number of bikers is certainly superior to that of most big cities, but still it remains a non-bike-friendly city. Bike lanes are often unprotected and badly planned, most of the times they consist of a line traced on a curb or in the pavement. Motorists overtake bikes and turn right, do not give right of way to bikes in roundabout, and generally do not respect bikers.

This has its root in the fact that, for the last 60 years, the city's infrastructure was designed around the car. Big streets that take cars in and out the city centre towards the neighborhoods, ugly and difficlut to bike. Another consequence of this is that also bikers can be ******** at times; there is simply no bike culture.

Other cities in Sweden, the whole of Denmark, the Netherlands; they have a bike culture.

So, yes, in a world perspective it is not as bad, but still it is not a city with a strong bike culture, as most people not living here think.
Old 10-16-15, 07:21 AM
digger

I may realize that from a North America perspective (or maybe from a non-Scandinavian one) biking infrastructure in Stockholm can look pretty great.

The number of bikers is certainly superior to that of most big cities, but still it remains a non-bike-friendly city. Bike lanes are often unprotected and badly planned, most of the times they consist of a line traced on a curb or in the pavement. Motorists overtake bikes and turn right, do not give right of way to bikes in roundabout, and generally do not respect bikers.

This has its root in the fact that, for the last 60 years, the city's infrastructure was designed around the car. Big streets that take cars in and out the city centre towards the neighborhoods, ugly and difficlut to bike. Another consequence of this is that also bikers can be ******** at times; there is simply no bike culture.

Other cities in Sweden, the whole of Denmark, the Netherlands; they have a bike culture.

So, yes, in a world perspective it is not as bad, but still it is not a city with a strong bike culture, as most people not living here think.
I trust your judgement, but yet I don't believe it at the same time.

If Stockholm is considered bad, then man, we got it worse than I thought here in NA.
Old 10-16-15, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,177 Times in 7,596 Posts
Like I haven't seen this over and over again on a daily basis with cabs, trucks and all sorts of passenger vehicles. Why not 20 min. ago, during my walk to work, I saw an empty cab drift to a stop in a bike lane just before reaching an intersection with a green light. He was taking up most of the bike lane and part of a travel lane while talking on his phone.
Old 10-16-15, 07:43 AM
Supermau

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anyroad 1, 26 HT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This just in...nobody gives a damn about cyclists except (most) cyclists.
Old 10-16-15, 07:45 AM
kuroba

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
In my city we have a bike trail that is physically separated from the road, yet we have found cars and motorbikes parked in there or sometimes they think the trail is the perfect way to cut up that evening traffic jam. People are jerks everywhere in the world, even with a strong cycling culture, there's always that one who can't help but being selfish.
Old 10-16-15, 07:52 AM
digger

Originally Posted by kuroba
In my city we have a bike trail that is physically separated from the road, yet we have found cars and motorbikes parked in there or sometimes they think the trail is the perfect way to cut up that evening traffic jam. People are jerks everywhere in the world, even with a strong cycling culture, there's always that one who can't help but being selfish.
Sure, of course...but there are 100 times the cyclists in Stockholm than here......you'd think...it's just...I can't...my bubble has been burst.
Old 10-16-15, 09:04 AM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Compared to most of North America, Stockholm is quite good. Compared to Netherlands, Denmark, or Finland it is quite poor. From a bicycling standpoint I might rank them something like:

Netherlands 9
Denmark (Copenhagen) 6
Finland (Oulu) 5
Stockholm 3
US 1

Within NA there are exceptions like Vancouver, Portland and Minneapolis that might be maybe a 1.5 or 2?

As others have said, drivers are not so good everywhere. US drivers are definitely worse than EU (skill and jerk factor) but not be a huge amount. What makes Europe so much safer is much better infrastructure design. Obviously the bicycle infrastructure in The Netherlands makes bicycling safe. Other things like tighter radius corners at junctions that force drivers to slow down, narrower driving lanes, lane discipline (keep right except to pass), and a near absence of stop signs (typically yield or roundabout instead) and many fewer traffic signals (mostly replaced by roundabouts).

EU traffic engineers know that people will not obey rules so well so they design infrastructure that forces obedience, US engineers design infrastructure and then scream that if only people obeyed the rules we'd all be safer.
Old 10-16-15, 12:45 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wouldn't that guy at least get a parking ticket?
Old 10-16-15, 01:05 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by digger
I've been there twice and it seems like heaven to me. Sweden-ites seem much more tolerant and open-minded than the largely red-neck attitudes in North America.

...but I've only been there a total of 6 weeks.

Jeez, there are bikes everywhere!
Too funny.
What is it that makes a person believe they can judge the attitude of an entire nation on any one thing?
Other than obvious personal dramatic tendencies that is...
Old 10-16-15, 01:42 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Wouldn't that guy at least get a parking ticket?
You'd think so. But probably not.

There is a similar situation near an expensive private school in La Jolla area of San Diego along Genesee road where a well marked bike lane abuts a 45MPH 6 lane road. The parents of kids at that expensive private school have been known to park in the well marked "no parking" bike lane while they attend performances, meetings and various events at the school. The police department is right around the corner. Not one SUV, Range Rover or otherwise expensive "chariot" is ever ticketed... in spite of the obvious no parking signs.

Bike commuters have to take the lane in crowded 45MPH traffic in this area.

You can see the no parking signs in this view... https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8795...2!8i6656?hl=en yet SUVs and the like seem to have no problem parking in this area.
Old 10-16-15, 02:41 PM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
In NYC it's common for cops and others to park city and personal vehicles in bike lanes and on sidewalks.

Con Ed Staff Caught Illegally Parking on Sidewalk By Queensboro Bridge | Streetsblog New York City

The best though is this where they were actually labeling their parking spaces in the bike lane:

NYPD Parking Hogs Finally Crossed a Line | Streetsblog New York City

And we wonder why people increasingly hold little regard for cops.
Old 10-16-15, 06:13 PM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seriously?
When every bicyclist follows every rule/regulation then maybe you can act so outraged.
99.9% of all cyclists everywhere blow through or at best roll through all stop signs and traffic lights.
This is ok?
Hold every motorist to the letter of every obscure bike regulation yet don't follow basic and important laws like stopping at a stop sign when on your bike?
Take pics of and criticize your local police force while you break 10 laws on every ride, everyday?
What a joke...
Old 10-16-15, 06:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,651 Times in 2,932 Posts
Yesterday I was standing outside a convenience store, and got an earful from an arrogant old lady about how us lawless cyclists should licensed, taxed, and prohibited from any roads w/o bike lanes. Then she got into her car, (which was parked directly in front of the store's front door, in the clearly marked no-parking fire lane), and drove away.
Old 10-16-15, 07:01 PM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
...99.9% of all cyclists everywhere blow through or at best roll through all stop signs and traffic lights.
Obviously the result of a detailed scientific study of the issue.
Old 10-16-15, 09:49 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

There is a similar situation near an expensive private school in La Jolla area of San Diego along Genesee road where a well marked bike lane abuts a 45MPH 6 lane road. The parents of kids at that expensive private school have been known to park in the well marked "no parking" bike lane while they attend performances, meetings and various events at the school. The police department is right around the corner. Not one SUV, Range Rover or otherwise expensive "chariot" is ever ticketed... in spite of the obvious no parking signs.

Bike commuters have to take the lane in crowded 45MPH traffic in this area.

You can see the no parking signs in this view... https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8795...2!8i6656?hl=en yet SUVs and the like seem to have no problem parking in this area.
People like that are why valve stem removers were invented.
Old 10-17-15, 05:15 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe not as detailed as it could have been
But do you dispute my claim that all cyclists roll or run stop signs and lights?
More particularly, i would hate to think that anyone specifically posting in a forum with the word SAFETY in its title regularly breaks the law by rolling through signs and lights and maybe even riding above the speed limit?
A lot of people reference some pretty fast pace lines and average speeds.
Are they riding strictly on highways? I doubt it...

Last edited by bakes1; 10-17-15 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 10:57 AM
digger

H
Originally Posted by bakes1
Seriously?
When every bicyclist follows every rule/regulation then maybe you can act so outraged.
99.9% of all cyclists everywhere blow through or at best roll through all stop signs and traffic lights.
This is ok?
Hold every motorist to the letter of every obscure bike regulation yet don't follow basic and important laws like stopping at a stop sign when on your bike?
Take pics of and criticize your local police force while you break 10 laws on every ride, everyday?
What a joke...

Too funny.
What is it that makes a person believe they can judge the conduct of a type of road user based on anecdotal evidence?
Other than obvious personal dramatic tendencies and a sanctimonious attitude that is...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.