Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Communicator Plugin

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Communicator Plugin

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 01:00 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry Garmin Communicator Plugin

If anyone uses a Garmin bike computer and Google Chrome as their web browser. That seemingly will no longer sync the data to Garmin's website. Here is the reason why:

04/27/2015
The Garmin Communicator Plugin is no longer compatible with Google Chrome. The Communicator Plugin uses the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) architecture which is no longer supported by Chrome. As of Chrome 42, NPAPI support has been disabled by default and these types of plugins will no longer be detected.

In order for the Garmin Communicator Plugin to work properly, a compatible browser must be used. For a list of compatible browsers, visit the Garmin Communicator Plugin download page for your operating system:

PC:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3607

Mac:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3739

The Garmin Communicator Plugin will function correctly in these compatible browsers.

The programmers at Google updated Chrome and it will no longer work with NPAPI(Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface) which is crucial to the plugin. So, Now you will have to use Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari. To sync your ride data. I don't like it. But, Now, I will only use Firefox for the ride data. Everything else, I will continue to do with Google Chrome.

Just thought I would pass this along. In case anyone didn't know.

It is kind of fishy. The date is from late April. But it worked for me up until a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-23-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 01:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This came up back in the spring and a lot of people were upset.

A programming change at Google has turned off a very old part of the Chrome browser. That change "broke" some of Garmin's software.

I don't think I've ever used their plugin (I almost never install any browser plugin). But Garmin Express has always worked with my Edge 800, it probably still works for any device you attach to your computer. Free download. Uploads your rides (and other activities) automatically when you plug the USB cable in. It runs in the background on your computer so you don't even have to launch it, just plug your device in.

Garmin Express

Originally Posted by Chris516
It is kind of fishy. The date is from late April. But it worked for me up until a couple weeks ago.
Did you only update Chrome recently?
Old 10-23-15, 03:08 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yep. Garmin Connect Classic is going away as of Jan 1. After that it's only GC Modern, which uses Garmin Express to transfer data between devices and GC. There is no browser needed and and no browser plug. I have a number of issues with the way the GE works so I deleted it off my computer and use manual uploading.
Old 10-23-15, 05:10 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This came up back in the spring and a lot of people were upset.

A programming change at Google has turned off a very old part of the Chrome browser. That change "broke" some of Garmin's software.

I don't think I've ever used their plugin (I almost never install any browser plugin). But Garmin Express has always worked with my Edge 800, it probably still works for any device you attach to your computer. Free download. Uploads your rides (and other activities) automatically when you plug the USB cable in. It runs in the background on your computer so you don't even have to launch it, just plug your device in.

Garmin Express

Did you only update Chrome recently?
I updated Chrome, and the usual updates for my Edge 500. Like you mentioned, GE works on my Edge 500.