Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

MacGyverisms and Jerry Rigging. What have you done to get your bike back home?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 11:30 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts

Last Sunday I was out biking with the trailer. About 15 miles from home, I was extracting my bike from a bike rack, and heard a POW... PING. Looked down to see the nut off of my QR laying on the ground.

I'm not quite sure what happened, but my guess is that the trailer hitch came down on the QR lever, and twisted it tighter, causing both twisting and an increase in force, and it just broke the nut off.

I was near a thrift store. No QR levers.... I'm not sure if even on junk bikes

So, I made it to Dick's Sporting Goods... A "sports store" that sells bikes... No dice on spare parts. They told me they could order the QR lever (didn't say 126mm). But, of course, I wasn't planning on hanging around for a week waiting for it to come in

It was Sunday, so some local bike shops were closed. However, I'd been to the Performance shop before on a Sunday, but it was 5+ miles away, and I didn't like the thought of riding/walking that far without a QR. And, since I'm using 126mm, there was no guarantee they would actually have the part needed. I found I could ride a bit without the QR, but with a horizontal dropout, only with about 1% of maximum torque otherwise it would pull the axle forward.

Next stop was Home Depot Building Supply.
Browsing around, I even asked someone about a long #10 bolt, and they said no dice.... But, a bit further down the aisle, I found #10 threaded rod.

I bolted it back together. I added a few extra washers because I didn't want them to bend. And, it held just fine, even pulling the trailer full force up my driveway.

Thinking back... maybe I could have gotten away with cleaning up the threads on the QR and finding an 8mm nut + washer, but the rod worked good too.

So, what have others done to get their bikes home with an unplanned critical failure?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Thraded_Number_10_for_QR.jpg (101.6 KB, 588 views)
Old 08-12-15, 11:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,491 Times in 1,916 Posts
My most extreme emergency road repair was on a vintage (1930's) aluminum frame that suffered a loose BB about halfway on the first day of a 200 mile weekend ride. By loose BB I mean the BB shell came loose from the frame while climbing.

Fortunately it was Saturday, and I was able to limp into the next town because the frame geometry pulls the shell upward if I don't push it down hard.

Walking the aisles I found picture hanging wire and some turn buckles, which I used to hold the BB up to the top of the seat tube, and to keep the cracked down tube from pulling out. I then stabilized it with some scrap metal "splints" and hose clamps.

The bike finished the remaining 150 hilly miles so well, that I left it that way and rode it 2 more years as it kept breaking in other interesting ways until I decided it was time to give it to the scrap man.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-12-15, 12:05 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Reasonably diligent preventative maintenance keeps me from any significant "field expediency." Avoidance is usually the most elegant solution.
Old 08-12-15, 12:16 PM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Reasonably diligent preventative maintenance keeps me from any significant "field expediency." Avoidance is usually the most elegant solution.
Paying attention in boy scouts can pay off.
There is a reason I carry a spare QR set when I ride XC.

Sadly enough I have no exciting horror stories of repairs.
Old 08-12-15, 12:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Frame crack in Ireland, I hauled it back on a bus (mid engine busses there had a Huge rear luggage hold)

back in Killarney , a shop that welded up HVAC duct systems in Stainless steel ,

beefed up those places with Stainless steel Filler wire and made a Plate Gusset, & other than burned Powder coat, I rattle canned to cover the bare steel,

its been fine ever since

For the rest of the 10 month tour back then, and the 17 years after Back here..

@ LBS there is some Jury-rigging of coastal touring cyclists bikes for those just scraping by to make the trip, to keep them going..

soft wire is handy..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-12-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 12:31 PM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The best jerry-rigging I've done to get my bike back home was not for the bike, but for myself. Leaving the city for a bike ride in the early morning, the temperature often drops over the first couple hours as I get farther out into the countryside. I'm used to this and plan for it, but sometimes the temperature change is pretty extreme. One morning in the spring I left my house with temps in the 60s, but after 2 hours my hands were so cold I was miserable and struggling to hold the bars, my phone said it was 43 degrees, and I was on the verge of calling my wife for a rescue. Out of desperation I pulled my arm warmers down over my hands, and found that it was actually no problem to ride like that! When I really needed to shift I could clumsily move the downtube lever, but otherwise I was happy to just keep going without my hands feeling like they were about to freeze off. I made it home no problem and resolved never to leave the house without my arm warmers.
Old 08-12-15, 01:43 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Busted the seat tube clean off from the bb shell. And old( 25+) year raliegh record ace. 10 miles from home on the commute. Refused to call for help or use bus/taxi. Stores and strip malls everywhere. Duct tape and 3 zip ties for the win. Did about 10' of 1/2 width strips. Still flexed a lot. A lot. But pedaled home ok.
Old 08-12-15, 03:02 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is not a field repair but rather an unfortunate kludge. A friend bought a low-end 10-speed and found that her chromosomes lacked the shifting gene. She therefore converted to single speed by cutting both derailleur cables and wrapping them in such a way that she remained on one chain ring and one gog. She later donated the bike to my son and I turned it back into a 10-speed.

Also, in the interest of preparedness, I've rubbed my spare inner tubes with talc to facilitate roadside replacement. I figure I'll need every advantage I can get.

Last edited by habilis; 08-12-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 04:22 PM
02Giant 

Liked 763 Times in 509 Posts
Flatted both tires in one shot, used my spare tube in one, tied a knot in the other where the puncture was.
Old 08-12-15, 04:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,661 Times in 2,205 Posts
I've done the "stick shift" a few times when shifter cables broke. Find a stick and wedge it into the derailleur to get it in a more favorable gear to finish the commute.
Old 08-12-15, 07:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
30 miles from home, a guy broke his smallest cog on his cassette. So the other cogs were now loose due to the empty space. He happened to have a few "zip ties" with him, so we tied them around the freehub to take up the space and make the other cogs pretty tight. He rode home without a problem.

I had 3 flats one day, and only 2 tubes. I found some scrap plastic bag, and wrapped it around the hole in the tube 4 or 5 times. Rode home no problem. By the time I got home I had forgotten about it, and several days later it was still full of air.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-13-15, 04:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,757 Times in 2,796 Posts
Love this thread, some great stories and some tricks I will remember and hopefully not have to use!

I can't think of anything good to contribute; once I was on a newly-worked on bike with no seatbag or tools and my FD fell off. If only I had a screwdriver I could have opened the cage and just taken the damn thing off teh chain and ridden home 1x, but like I said, no seatbag or tools. Had to make the call of shame (or walk 3mi)
Old 08-13-15, 11:24 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I was on a newly-worked on bike with no seatbag or tools and my FD fell off. If only I had a screwdriver I could have opened the cage and just taken the damn thing off teh chain and ridden home 1x, but like I said, no seatbag or tools. Had to make the call of shame (or walk 3mi)
There's a reason I try to always have my McGyver special Swiss Army knife in my pocket, with two standard screwdrivers and a phillips.

I have started carrying a roll of electrical tape in my saddle bag, but a few people have mentioned zip ties in emergency situations... I'll have to give that some thought.
Old 08-14-15, 02:09 AM
krue1971

Bikes: Trek EX 9, Lynskey Ridgeline, Salsa El Mariachi, Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best was during a mountain bike race that was preceded by about 8 hours of steady rain. One of the bridges had a tight turn with berm right before it and I failed to get straightened out before I hit the bridge....literally. The end of my carbon bar broke off right at the shifter on the right side. Luckily it was a grip shift and wasn't hurt. I cut a piece of huckleberry bush limb and stuck it in the end of the bar and jammed it back on the bar. I managed to finish the race dead last but I'll take DFL over DNF anyday.
Old 08-14-15, 08:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by CliffordK
There's a reason I try to always have my McGyver special Swiss Army knife in my pocket, with two standard screwdrivers and a phillips.
Yeah, like I said, it was stupid to take a shakedown ride without my seatbag, which always has a Nashbar Woody multitool in it.
Old 08-14-15, 09:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,170 Times in 1,333 Posts
Half way through a 10 mile commute (coming home), the bolt I hadn't looked at for five years fell off leaving the rear rack loose and rubbing. A nice couple was just coming out to walk their dog, so I flagged them down and asked for a bread bag wire twist tie. Twist tied the rack back on, moved the pannier to the other side, and made it home successfully! (And immediately, before supper, got another bolt and checked all the rest of the bolts on the bike.)
Old 10-28-15, 01:20 PM
robertro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many years ago, I was bike touring from Miami to Tampa, riding and old Reynolds 531-framed Crescent racing bike with early Michelin high-pressure clinchers. As we approached Tampa, where our outbound flight was departing from that evening, I rode across a jagged piece of metal. My tire and tube were sliced open with a two inch gash.

I had a spare tube, and I always carried a roll of surgical tape for emergencies. I wrapped the tube in the surgical tape, added three layers on the inside of the tire, and carefully inflated the tire back up to 90psi. We made it to the flight on time, though the repair clunked like some cartoon character's patched wheel!
Old 10-28-15, 02:21 PM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Went on a 4-mile ride one summer to my favourite swimming spot. No tubes or tools. Just around the corner, right?
When sun was fading, I found the rear wheel flat. Stuffed the tire with my Beach towel, and one borrowed from a friend, and rode home.
Not ideal, the tire kept sliding on the rim, but better than walking. And a wash got the towels back to normal.
Old 10-28-15, 02:22 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Because my bicycle lives a Godly life He preserves it from all harm.
Old 10-28-15, 02:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
  • Using shims from roadside aluminum cans to tighten stuff that wouldn't stay snugged. Learned that one from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as a teenager. The author recalls an anecdote in which a friend with a BMW resisted the expedient aluminum can shim because it wasn't a proper BMW factory part.
  • Using plastic food wrap to slow down a leak (someone else in this thread mentioned that trick) after the few proper patches had already been used up on a long ride.
  • Zip ties to repair broken buckles and fasteners for handlebar bags and other makeshift luggage.
  • Toting a carbon steel flat bladed screwdriver which can be reshaped as needed for just about any slotted screw head by honing it against concrete or a rock, so it doesn't slip and bugger up the screw.
  • A mechanic the other day suggested using a thick business card or thin flexible plastic card as an expedient repair for a torn tire. Place the card inside the tire, let the tube hold it in place. May be good enough to limp home.
  • Most recently I'm trying Gorilla clear tape to patch a leak in the rubber casing around a Schrader valve stem, just in case I encounter this afield after burning through my good tubes. After three flats in one weekend last week, mostly from grass burrs and goatheads scattered by highway mowing crews, I'm trying Gorilla tape as an all purpose fixit in case I burn through both tubes and my good spares. Gorilla tape is touted as airtight and waterproof, but not for seams on inflatables. I haven't tested it under pressure on a mounted tube/tire, only on a partially inflated tube.
Old 10-28-15, 02:35 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 829 Times in 461 Posts
Used a pebble to lock the FD when cable broke.
A friend's derailleur went into the spokes and broke. Made a single speed using a nail and a nut to break the chain.
Looked for, found and used a roadside piece of plastic to boot a tire.
Not by me, but I watched a friend repair a torn tire by putting on a new tube, inflating it a bit and using a strip of the torn tube as a bandage on the outside, then inflating more. I was skeptic but it lasted for 20kms and carried him home.
Old 10-28-15, 03:55 PM
davidad

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Rode between broken jiggle bars on an overpass and cut both tires. I had boots made from old tires and used themfor the 10 mile home. I now carry a piece of 1/32 rubber gasket material meant for pipe flanges to use as a boot.
Old 10-28-15, 04:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Used a pebble to lock the FD when cable broke.
A friend's derailleur went into the spokes and broke. Made a single speed using a nail and a nut to break the chain.
Looked for, found and used a roadside piece of plastic to boot a tire.
Not by me, but I watched a friend repair a torn tire by putting on a new tube, inflating it a bit and using a strip of the torn tube as a bandage on the outside, then inflating more. I was skeptic but it lasted for 20kms and carried him home.
Wow, I want to ride with you! Apparently you and whoever you ride with are guaranteed to find a way to ride home!
Old 10-28-15, 04:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by davidad
Rode between broken jiggle bars on an overpass and cut both tires. I had boots made from old tires and used themfor the 10 mile home. I now carry a piece of 1/32 rubber gasket material meant for pipe flanges to use as a boot.
A dollar bill is also supposed to make a pretty good tire boot.
Old 11-07-15, 03:25 PM
davidad

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
A dollar bill is also supposed to make a pretty good tire boot.
The gasket material makes a permanent repair. I super glue them on and cover them with duct tape. The dut tape keeps the tubefom fetting on the boot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.