Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

off topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 09:51 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
off topic

I just bought (my 1st) a brand spanking new smart phone. Why now do I feel so d__n dumb!
Old 11-02-15, 09:56 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,229 Times in 620 Posts
How long before you download the Strava App? It's actually not bad.

Seriously, I was a holdout for a long time myself. They ARE ridiculously useful. Just don't become one of those smartphone zombies.

Bringing this back to cycling ... are there any other cool cycling apps out there?

Old 11-02-15, 10:25 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rck
I just bought (my 1st) a brand spanking new smart phone. Why now do I feel so d__n dumb!
I brought my first last year... I had to call tech support because I could not figure out how to answer a phone call... they couldn't help either so I had to post on BF and ask...

Don't feel stupid... just ask questions. After awhile things start to make sense... I can almost NOW figure everything out!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-02-15, 10:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rck

Originally Posted by Biker395

Seriously, I was a holdout for a long time myself. They ARE ridiculously useful. Just don't become one of those smartphone zombies.

Bringing this back to cycling ... are there any other cool cycling apps out there?
My I-6+ smart phone was my first after my flip phone died. To further bring this back to cycling, I posted to the Road cyling Forum, ”Who rides ‘unplugged’”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I carry a cell phone for communication, in particular because I am often on call for work; for navigation; as a camera; and as a listening device. I like to keep my I-Phone 6+ on my chest close to my head so I can hear it, and have it easily accessible to answer a call, take a photo, or spot my position on the confusing, haphazard thoroughfares of Metro Boston.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I carry in my self-designed “I-bra” for easy access..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0901.jpg (92.9 KB, 5 views)
DSCN0905.jpg (86.5 KB, 6 views)
DSCN0906.jpg (77.1 KB, 4 views)
DSCN0908.jpg (66.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-02-15, 10:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Liked 2,435 Times in 1,187 Posts
You're IQ will start to drop. You know longer need to know anything since everything is just a few clicks away.

How many still know everyone's phone number, remember birthdays or other family events.

Also never buy a car with navigation, the smart phone has better apps and are more up to date than your car.

Also Google and Apple will know more about you the more you use it. Everything you search, buy online and locations you go to will all be tracked.
Old 11-02-15, 11:04 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,479 Times in 914 Posts
Although I am a technologist, I have a difficult time using touch screens, probably because of poor hand-eye coordination. Yes, if I want to retrieve emails or check on traffic conditions or other data on the Internet, I am glad to have my iPhone, but if I just want to place or receive a phone call, I miss my old flip phone.

I worry a lot about the growing use of touch screens in cars, since these force drivers to divert their gaze from the road (and potentially us). With knobs and buttons I can feel for the HVAC or radio controls I need while keeping my vision focused on my driving. Windscreen fogging up? Just turn all three center console knobs (temperature, fan speed, function) full clockwise on the 2001 Passat. On the 1996 Audi, the four little easily-felt buttons across the bottom of the HVAC control panel are colder, warmer, fan slower, fan faster.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-02-15, 11:12 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
My smartphone was invaluable last year while out cycling. I fell off and was knocked out and a passer-by used my phone to call an ambulance and then call my wife to tell her I was on my way to the hospital.

Well, not so much the smart side of it was invaluable, just the phone.
Old 11-02-15, 11:23 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I had an old flip-phone for years and years and then took the plunge and bought an LG Lucid 3 smartphone a while back. I felt embarrassed too, because my daughter had to show me all the features and "cool stuff" that it can do.

I don't have Strava, but I do have MapMyRide for an app. It's free and really works great!
Old 11-02-15, 02:48 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use Garmin Connect.
Old 11-02-15, 03:14 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Liked 85 Times in 38 Posts
I have a flip phone and an Android tablet. It's nice having the gigantic body of knowledge known as the internet at your fingertips. Posting from it now.
Old 11-02-15, 03:26 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
You feel so dumb for waiting so long.

I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone 5S.

An easy way to carry your phone so its handy is with this. I have one on each bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 11-04-15 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 07:19 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
An easy way to carry your phone so its handy is with this. I have one on each bike.
That looks pretty slick. I think I "need" one! Christmas is coming, after all!
Old 11-03-15, 10:00 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I brought my first last year... I had to call tech support because I could not figure out how to answer a phone call... they couldn't help either so I had to post on BF and ask...

Don't feel stupid... just ask questions. After awhile things start to make sense... I can almost NOW figure everything out!
Thanks for that Pam. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and had him call me just to see. The phone rang and both of us sat there staring at the phone with no idea as to how to answer it.
Old 11-03-15, 10:41 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,479 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
My smartphone was invaluable last year while out cycling. I fell off and was knocked out and a passer-by used my phone to call an ambulance and then call my wife to tell her I was on my way to the hospital.

Well, not so much the smart side of it was invaluable, just the phone.
This is a great reminder to carry a cell phone preprogrammed with easy-to-find emergency contact numbers beyond the basic 911. The one time I was struck by a car and rendered unconscious was in 1976, long before mobile phones were common. When I did not show up for dinner, my wife started phoning the local emergency rooms and located me on the third try.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-03-15, 10:56 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rck
Thanks for that Pam. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and had him call me just to see. The phone rang and both of us sat there staring at the phone with no idea as to how to answer it.
Hopefully you figured it out... I still have trouble... I know to tap and swipe the phone icon but sometimes, well... all of my friends know I am fiddling with the phone and will call back...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-03-15, 11:03 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Hopefully you figured it out... I still have trouble... I know to tap and swipe the phone icon but sometimes, well... all of my friends know I am fiddling with the phone and will call back...
Hi Pam,

I guess that's why we messaged each other instead of calling during Tour de Big Bear this year!

Of course it helped that you spotted me and Jackie at the Expo but still . . . the message option is very handy! Glad you could stop by the cabin and visit for awhile. Next year you can actually ride!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-03-15, 12:28 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Google Maps - it has a cycling mode that's good for finding MUPS and bike lanes.

Dark Sky is a weather app that predicts rain in your local area - ie, within a mile, not "in this zip code".

Strava, MapMyRide, and Cyclemeter are all bike computer / tracker / trainer apps. Strava and MMR have basic functionality for free, then an annual fee adds goodies. Not sure about Cyclemeter.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-03-15, 02:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I held out forever getting a smart phone and now I don't understand why. All the apps are really useful...like Gas Buddy. I use the GPS feature on cycling rides all the time when on unfamiliar roads. It's so easy to spot where you are and how to go from points A to B. You can even send texts and emails using voice instead of typing. By the way, I have literally seen the servers where all the data comes to for all the uses of our smart devices. Lots of servers!!
Old 11-03-15, 05:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
I feel your pain.

I have traded bike wrenching services for smart phone lessons. I've gotten so frustrated that I've questioned my sanity. I've actually had my smart phone bawl me out for using profanity. I'd take a hammer to it but for the fact that, when I can get the screen that I want, I find it pretty wonderful.
Old 11-04-15, 04:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Dark Sky is a weather app that predicts rain in your local area - ie, within a mile, not "in this zip code".
I forgot to mention MyRadar, free from the many app stores. Shows real time radar for your part of the country.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-04-15, 10:37 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Hi Pam,

Tour de Big Bear ...
... Next year you can actually ride!

Rick / OCRR
After seeing what Kathy and Jackie (and you) had to climb, um, maybe not. But at least sagging will be more fun; I can actually walk around and do stufff!

Old 11-04-15, 11:15 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
At least we're still in charge and can turn off our devices, soon we'll be their pets.
Old 11-04-15, 11:52 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,326 Times in 1,162 Posts
I have been using a smart phone for a number of years. I echo JohnE perspective about touch screens at the same time voice recognition is getting more user friendly to use too. Last go around I opted for a Windows Phone. I am impressed with its integration and similarities with PC. In fact, it is the same OS. I am also impressed with the lack of apps! The 2 year times up and I need to make a decision. The battery is still good so I can hang on for a longer period of time. The new Windows phones can be used like a PC with the addition of a monitor and keyboard. Battery life is exceptional and the 20mp camera is appealing.

The thing to remember is that it is not really smart. you are smarter. It is the software designer that is the one intimidating you to feel dumb! They are engineers who think differently, I know because I are one, not a SW guy but been around them long enough,

Oh and I use Cyclometer for a bike app. Exceptional quality and free. Nearly matches my bike computer in terms of MPH, Max speed and time. Much better than my MS Band!

Last edited by SJX426; 11-04-15 at 12:06 PM.