Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed vs distance for overall conditioning?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 10:05 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just wondering is it better for overall conditioning to do a twenty mile solo ride near my maximum(20mph) speed or a longer 35 mile ride at a more "comfortable"(16mph) speed?
Old 11-19-15, 10:17 AM
RISKDR1

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It is not as simple as that. Personally I favor longer distance at lower intensity for overall conditioning. It allows you to ride more often without burnout and burns fat better than a max state ride. There is a place for a max effort ride maybe once a week. It adds to your ability to hold a pace but done too often I think it creates burnout and dread of riding. I have to confess I am 70 and have been through the whole racing gig when I was in my 40's and just want to have fun now. Fun is not always going all out. I love the easy sissy la la rides especially when they have a social aspect to them. Your goal may be different. From a cardiac health standpoint I think more frequent long slow distance is better than less frequent hard efforts.
Old 11-19-15, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Motor pacing?
Old 11-19-15, 12:28 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Its not what "better", its going to be the balance between the two for overall conditioning. And I have to remember that conditioning can mean different things. Mostly its the end goal which isn't addressed here, or there.
Old 11-19-15, 12:51 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
generally, i find the more miserable the ride the better, WRT conditioning. too bad isn't it?
Old 11-19-15, 12:57 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I prefer distance. I also do a lot of steep hills for conditioning. I'm sure high speed works well too, though.
Old 11-19-15, 01:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Fldaves
Just wondering is it better for overall conditioning to do a twenty mile solo ride near my maximum(20mph) speed or a longer 35 mile ride at a more "comfortable"(16mph) speed?
Neither. Do intervals. You could try 5 minutes at 24mph, then 5 minutes at 16mph. Repeat 5 times.
Old 11-19-15, 01:31 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you, overall, conditioning for?
Old 11-19-15, 01:42 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neither. Both.

It's far more complicated than that. The most effective training is polarised, with the bulk of the time spent at low intensities but some - probably no more than 20% - spent going very hard.
Old 11-19-15, 03:56 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a book titled "the first 20 minutes" that makes the case for high intensity interval training. Worth reading. IMHO, any rounded cyclist will want to ride long distances with friends so that's one thing to work on. Training to allow yourself to ride 60, 80, 100 or more miles is a thing in itself. You can't do that full tilt boogie, but full tilt boogie is where you develop serious cardio. If your 60/80mi or whatever long distance rides include hills, you can do interval training on them or even on flats, but anaerobic training and high level, hard aerobic training is best done on hard, fast, shorter rides so I'm with those that suggest both the 35mi slower rides and faster 20mi rides are equally important. I would note, though, that the shorter, harder ride is probably doing more for your cardio than the longer ride. You could continue to shortern that short ride so it's shorter and even faster and harder and that would continue to increase the cardio benefit. The hard fast riding is what helps build the cardio that allows the long rides to happen but the entire body and muscle training needed for long rides has to occur as well. That's why most serious cyclists find themselves doing fun rides of long distance at a pace that can be maintained and do one hour rides about as hard as you can. That's how it is for me, anyway and I'm a older non-racer that just enjoys riding as well and as quickly as I can. My one hour rides all include a half dozen sprints. I do actual high intensity intervals in spinning classes where I can push till I'm dripping with sweat and near collapse. THAT level of stress on the body helps the body to react to build endurance and it's hard to do that when you're actually riding. That's probably the biggest "sell" for indoor training.
Old 11-19-15, 05:31 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by chasm54
Neither. Both.

It's far more complicated than that. The most effective training is polarised, with the bulk of the time spent at low intensities but some - probably no more than 20% - spent going very hard.
I can’t cite data, but just this morning I posted to this Fifty-Plus Forum thread, “Heart Rate”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
During nearly all of my 40 cycling years, my training has been by mileage. I never used a heart monitor, and on a rare occasion might check my heart rate just by counting. This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative, standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), with my own particular adaptation; see PS at the end of that long post….

I describe my personal training program using the RPE as…

One benefit of this approach is that I became more satisfied with shorter, less time-consuming rides.

For my purposes, while I don’t monitor HR during exercise, I do focus on resting Heart Rate, measured at a standardized time of day (soon after waking, sitting in a chair). When I’m in “good” shape it's pretty consistently 48 bpm. My best ever was 42 several years ago following a consistent training schedule immediately before a Century (when I was just training with mileage…
Originally Posted by Road Fan
...I would say, read up on heart-rate training in general and try to find ways of setting your zones based on lactate threshold or the various approximations of LT…

Also, read up on polarization training, papers and a video by a gent named Seidel. It's a little technical but the gist is that very effective human training can come from riding a high percentage of your time in a strenuous but conversational zone, and a low percentage a little above where you feel like your breathing can't keep up (near or a little above lactate threshold)….

Thanks for your post, [MENTION=28632]Road Fan[/MENTION]. I’m not particularly advocating for training with RPE, though it works well for me. Borg's RPE is designed to correlate with Heart Rate. My "Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine" does seem to coincide with the recommendations of Seidel.
Old 11-19-15, 05:54 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Intervals provide the best bang for the buck workout.
Old 11-19-15, 06:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Neither one is better...For overall conditioning you need to include both...Spend most of your time at a lower intensity and do a short duration HIT 2-3 times per week.
Old 11-19-15, 06:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts

I can’t cite data, but just this morning I posted to this Fifty-Plus Forum thread, “Heart Rate”:
That strenuous but conversational area is known as the sweet spot. For the more quantitative, it's in the 80-90% of functional threshold power (your maximum average power for 60'). Training by HRM or PM is more precise, but RPE is surprisingly effective if you work at it.
Old 11-19-15, 06:30 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
It is not as simple as that. Personally I favor longer distance at lower intensity for overall conditioning. It allows you to ride more often without burnout and burns fat better than a max state ride. There is a place for a max effort ride maybe once a week. It adds to your ability to hold a pace but done too often I think it creates burnout and dread of riding. I have to confess I am 70 and have been through the whole racing gig when I was in my 40's and just want to have fun now. Fun is not always going all out. I love the easy sissy la la rides especially when they have a social aspect to them. Your goal may be different. From a cardiac health standpoint I think more frequent long slow distance is better than less frequent hard efforts.
x2...
Old 11-19-15, 08:30 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Speed and distance are irrelevant. It's duration and intensity of effort that matter. You can do it on a stationary trainer at zero speed covering zero distance.
Old 11-19-15, 08:51 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Speed and distance are irrelevant. It's duration and intensity of effort that matter. You can do it on a stationary trainer at zero speed covering zero distance.
Another x2....get the heart rate up and keep it there for mebbe a half hour every other day at least and you're good to go wrt cardiac fitness
Old 11-19-15, 09:01 PM
RISKDR1

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What is interesting is that the advise varies somewhat for every post which tells me that what is better is very goal specific. In my opinion ( and my cardiologist's) if you are just seeking overall cardiac HEALTH, then favor frequent bouts of moderate to low intensity riding. If you are seeking maximum performance then you need to do more HIT training.
Old 11-20-15, 07:45 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speed is irrelevant. Train by either power or heartrate. In the end it depends on your goal but the shorter all out rides will make you stronger for a while then you will plateau. The lower intensity distance rides will make the best overall improvements over time. Once you have established a good base endurance then adding in intervals will make you faster because your cardio base has been established and can keep up with the building of muscle. If you just ride hard all the time you get stronger but can't hold it because your cardio won't hold out and you build lactic acid to fast.
Old 11-20-15, 08:36 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
What is interesting is that the advise varies somewhat for every post which tells me that what is better is very goal specific. In my opinion ( and my cardiologist's) if you are just seeking overall cardiac HEALTH, then favor frequent bouts of moderate to low intensity riding. If you are seeking maximum performance then you need to do more HIT training.
Up to a point. I'd be interested in the evidence base for your cardiologist's opinion, because in general I think the data is scarce. And there's some evidence that short bursts of very intense, maximal effort exercise produce marked improvements in various metabolic markers even in the very elderly.

However, in general, I'd agree that high-volume, low-intensity should form the bulk of any traing program. But it should be supplemented with some high-intensity work. The low-intensity stuff won't maintain a high VO2 max, and when last I looked there was a strong negative correlation between high VO2 max and premature death from heart disease.
Old 11-20-15, 08:49 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
This argument is what's irrelevant. We typically measure the speed of the wheels vs trap speed, which can be accomplished while stationary. Distance is measured the same way, again this can be accomplished while stationary. I.e., these measurements are made relative to the wheel's motion on its own axis, not the cyclist's movement through space.

Last edited by jfowler85; 11-20-15 at 08:56 AM.