Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Accident Beach Blvd and Ball Road Anaheim Tuesday

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 04:09 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts

Bicyclist, 70, seriously injured after being hit by car in Anaheim - The Orange County Register
Old 11-19-15, 10:00 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
That's scary close to home. I have ridden through that intersection many times. Yikes!

I'll say a prayer for the man who was hurt.
Old 11-19-15, 11:29 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sad... I hope the man is OK... so many other roads take you to the beach... why travel on the busiest of them all???

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-20-15, 06:29 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Very sad... I hope the man is OK... so many other roads take you to the beach... why travel on the busiest of them all???
I don't ride on Beach Blvd. There's no room for bikes, and the traffic is crazy. As you said, it's "...the busiest of them all...". It really is like a freeway with stop signs.

However, when I compared the OC Register photos to Google Street View, I had the impression that the man may have been riding along Ball Road. Maybe he was crossing Beach Blvd, and the driver was turning left from westbound Ball Road onto Beach Blvd.

This, of course, is speculation on my part. Right now the most important thing is this man's recovery, and I will pray for that.
Old 11-20-15, 08:24 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, good analysis. From the pics it might be possible to narrow down what happened. From the bike style, I doubt he is doing things like an experienced Roadie.

I thought the rider was Westbound along Ball Road, but in Salmon direction, and was then right hooked from the front when the driver right-turned south on Beach blvd.

There is clear damage to the center of the Toyota bumper and the bike was dragged from where all the belongings got scattered.
If the driver was turning left on impact then the cyclist was completely unpredictable and going against all the signals. The driver had the left turn light and the cyclist should have never been in that spot.

I've ridden east/west through there at least 50 times in 4 years in either direction. Its one of the safest ways to get from the Long Beach/Eldo Park area out to Orange and Irvine.

Last edited by marquhar; 11-20-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 10:51 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
...I thought the rider was Westbound along Ball Road, but in Salmon direction, and was then right hooked from the front when the driver right-turned south on Beach blvd...

...If the driver was turning left on impact then the cyclist was completely unpredictable and going against all the signals. The driver had the left turn light and the cyclist should have never been in that spot...
Both of your theories seem plausible, and both serve as a reminder to ride along with traffic. That is where drivers will be looking for you!

Originally Posted by marquhar
I've ridden east/west through there at least 50 times in 4 years in either direction. Its one of the safest ways to get from the Long Beach/Eldo Park area out to Orange and Irvine.
You have the numbers on me, but I ride there frequently, too. Wardlow/Ball has a nice bike lane all the way from LGB airport to Holder in Buena Park. Even there, the street is plenty wide until things get crazy for a block or two in either direction from the Beach Blvd madness.