Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried Zwift? If so, how was it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has anyone tried Zwift? If so, how was it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 10:43 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigdo13
all I wanna know is where the best deals on the ant+ dongle are at?

also, is the older Cyclops Jet Fluid pro one of the supporters reggo trainers that it uses? I don't want to buy my ant+ dongle if I don't have the right trainer...

also, is that all I need? the dongle and the trainer? I need a garmin of some sort as well yes?
Jet fluid pro is on the supported list. You'll just need a speed sensor to put on your bike if you don't have one already. They make ones that broadcast ANT+ or bluetooth. If you have an IOS phone you can use our mobile app to connect bluetooth sensors to Zwift without the need for an ANT dongle.
Old 11-21-15, 05:13 PM
utahp8ntballer

Bikes: Fuji SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Tacx Vortex smart and been using it with Zwift the last couple weeks and I have to say that it's been pretty sweet. Zwift made my fluid trainer more tolerable for sure but adding the smart trainer has made it a whole new experience. I hate climbing while outside and I hate climbing on Zwift because it's fairly similar. Right now I'm averaging near 80 miles a week on the trainer which is something I NEVER thought I'd be able to do.
This winter is going to be the best one yet on the bike since I actually want to ride it now.
Old 11-21-15, 06:36 PM
bigdo13

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy, 2013 Specialized S-Works Venge, 1993 Specialized Epic, 2012 Fezzari Fore CR3, 2015 Cipollini Bond

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
Jet fluid pro is on the supported list. You'll just need a speed sensor to put on your bike if you don't have one already. They make ones that broadcast ANT+ or bluetooth. If you have an IOS phone you can use our mobile app to connect bluetooth sensors to Zwift without the need for an ANT dongle.
i do not have an iPhone... so I'll need a speed sensor and an Ant+ dongle? Hmmmm...
Old 11-21-15, 10:13 PM
jmX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigdo13
i do not have an iPhone... so I'll need a speed sensor and an Ant+ dongle? Hmmmm...
The android version should add bluetooth support very soon. I know it works at Zwift HQ but I don't think we've released it yet. But otherwise, yeah...dongle and sensor.
Old 11-21-15, 10:16 PM
jmX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by utahp8ntballer
I bought a Tacx Vortex smart and been using it with Zwift the last couple weeks and I have to say that it's been pretty sweet. Zwift made my fluid trainer more tolerable for sure but adding the smart trainer has made it a whole new experience. I hate climbing while outside and I hate climbing on Zwift because it's fairly similar. Right now I'm averaging near 80 miles a week on the trainer which is something I NEVER thought I'd be able to do.
This winter is going to be the best one yet on the bike since I actually want to ride it now.
Great to hear - 80mi a week on a trainer is the real deal! BTW we're adding intersections and additional roads so you'll be able to bypass the watopia climb soon if you want. Richmond's Libby hill is there to stay though
Old 11-21-15, 10:20 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When are you guys making an iPad app? When you do, I'll buy a Kickr or a Neo and sign up.
Old 11-21-15, 11:09 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Great to hear - 80mi a week on a trainer is the real deal! BTW we're adding intersections and additional roads so you'll be able to bypass the watopia climb soon if you want. Richmond's Libby hill is there to stay though
so 1 lap you can climb other flat?
Old 11-22-15, 09:09 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
So let me see if I'm understanding the climbing thing... "Smart" trainers allow the game to change the roller resistance in real time, right? So if you start a climb in the game you may suddenly have to drop to the little ring to keep the same cadence and power?

I assume with a dumb trainer like mine, I could just stay at the same cadence/gear ratio but the speed in-game would drop below the speed my rear wheel sensor is telling me I'm doing, right? Seems like the smart trainers would definitely improve the experience in that sense at least.
Old 11-22-15, 09:28 AM
utahp8ntballer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
So let me see if I'm understanding the climbing thing... "Smart" trainers allow the game to change the roller resistance in real time, right? So if you start a climb in the game you may suddenly have to drop to the little ring to keep the same cadence and power?

I assume with a dumb trainer like mine, I could just stay at the same cadence/gear ratio but the speed in-game would drop below the speed my rear wheel sensor is telling me I'm doing, right? Seems like the smart trainers would definitely improve the experience in that sense at least.
This is correct. I can't do the big climbs in the big ring because there is too much resistance. My particular trainer only mimics 7% grade and on Watopia the grade hits 11% I think. And just like real life, my speed on the climbs is near the bottom of the pack.
Yes, a smart trainer will definitely improve the experience.
Old 11-22-15, 09:30 AM
utahp8ntballer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
I'm not sure that having an "out" will benefit me. The climbing is good for me even though I hate it, however, I suppose after 3 or 4 laps I could keep going if I bypass the climb. Maybe it is a good idea.
Old 11-22-15, 11:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
When are you guys making an iPad app? When you do, I'll buy a Kickr or a Neo and sign up.
I run HDMI out of the computer to my TV. Looks sweet. You'd love it. Come on over. The pavement is smooth!
Old 11-22-15, 12:16 PM
jmX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not sure that having an "out" will benefit me. The climbing is good for me even though I hate it, however, I suppose after 3 or 4 laps I could keep going if I bypass the climb. Maybe it is a good idea.
Well, it's a whole new chunk of road. Not so much of an "out" as an option. It'll be great for those doing workouts, or just want variety.
Old 11-22-15, 12:19 PM
jmX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can't say at the moment, but there are $359 computers that have 10x the performance of an iPad and run on a screen larger than a sheet of paper: https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-ASM1.../dp/B00MA7AMKY

We're sorta going for that top tier experience at the moment, but we understand some will be ok with a lesser experience with hardware they already own, and it's on the roadmap.
Old 11-22-15, 04:18 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
BTW we're adding intersections and additional roads
Woohoo!!!

Originally Posted by Dan333SP

This is correct. I can't do the big climbs in the big ring because there is too much resistance. My particular trainer only mimics 7% grade and on Watopia the grade hits 11% I think. And just like real life, my speed on the climbs is near the bottom of the pack.
Yes, a smart trainer will definitely improve the experience.
Yeah, I have the Tacx Bushido that mimics up to 15% grade and I can assure you those steeper grades on Zwift hurt. I love the fact that I can knock out 1000' in an hour on Zwift which is next to impossible to do in Phoenix. In the two months I've been using Zwift, my riding has improved considerably. I'm dropping my friends left and right when we ride together now.

Old 11-22-15, 04:32 PM
utahp8ntballer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Yeah, I have the Tacx Bushido that mimics up to 15% grade and I can assure you those steeper grades on Zwift hurt. I love the fact that I can knock out 1000' in an hour on Zwift which is next to impossible to do in Phoenix. In the two months I've been using Zwift, my riding has improved considerably. I'm dropping my friends left and right when we ride together now.
I kind of wish I had opted for one that would allow more grade but I'm a horrible climber anyway so it just would've sucked more. That was the one reason I liked living in Phoenix, no real climbing I had to worry about unless I rode up to Usery. Now back in Utah it's hard to not get 1200 ft in an hour.

This morning I did 40 miles in Richmond for a total of 91 miles this week. There is no way I would have done that before zwift. Although I was watching a movie, I still kept watching zwift to see my numbers and make sure I'm working hard. I'm excited to see how many miles I put on the trainer this winter. It's almost addicting to get on and ride it now.
Old 11-22-15, 09:36 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Zwift since May this year and have found it to be a great training and social experience. i started on zPower with a Cycleops mag trainer and went to a Wahoo Kickr in July - a much greater experience IMO with the smart trainer adjusting resistance automatically for you, as well as combining as your power meter.

The release of the workouts has been great and it is interesting to hear the Watopia course options spoken of.

cheers
Old 11-22-15, 10:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 1,066 Posts
This morning I did 40 miles in Richmond...
I got my ass handed to me in Richmond this morning, during the Sunday group ride (RSR).
Old 11-23-15, 07:44 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I am not on Zwift as my BKool Pro was made before one of the features needed for Zwift was incorporated into the trainer (I may upgrade), but I get a similar experience from BKool and the routes I have plugged in as well as riding others routes.

It really is cool to be in my living room on my trainer riding with the group 30 miles away on their trainers, and to even have voice communication when we are within 50 feet of each other on the course.
Old 11-23-15, 08:37 AM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I got my ass handed to me in Richmond this morning, during the Sunday group ride (RSR).

I've been doing the Wednesday night group ride (WWR) and train on my own other days. Group rides are a blast when you're in the peloton, but when you fall off the back, they're GONE! Still great fun and motivation to keep pace next time. I'm certain I'll be in better shape this spring than I was last year.
Old 11-23-15, 09:04 AM
falconsusi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry. going to start a post instead.
Old 11-23-15, 10:12 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to say that the Zwift workouts and a smart trainer make indoor suffering fantastic. In 4 weeks I've managed about 4-5 workout sessions per week. My initial FTP test was spot on to what I expected it to be. Did another test yesterday and my FTP is up by just over 12%. What's more is that once the session is complete I can continue to ride the course for some base.

Aside from a bicycle, Zwift + smart-trainer have been my best cycling purchases to date.
Old 11-23-15, 12:59 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I already mentioned this in the racing forum but the other thing that would make zwift even more social would be the ability to talk to each other real time.
Old 11-23-15, 01:01 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I just did shorter FTP test and result ended up as 237W. I would like to start one of the FTP Builder workouts but i don't know which one is better. Anyone tried one of the workouts?

https://www.strava.com/activities/438048990

Last edited by Robius; 11-23-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 01:30 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I already mentioned this in the racing forum but the other thing that would make zwift even more social would be the ability to talk to each other real time.
I'm sure this will be added eventually, it's a no-brainer for integration.

Still, I can't imagine I'd enjoy it that much. My trainer is very loud so whatever people would hear from me would be labored breathing with a roaring jet engine in the background while i get out one or two syllables at a time.
Old 11-23-15, 02:12 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
I am not on Zwift as my BKool Pro was made before one of the features needed for Zwift was incorporated into the trainer (I may upgrade), but I get a similar experience from BKool and the routes I have plugged in as well as riding others routes.

It really is cool to be in my living room on my trainer riding with the group 30 miles away on their trainers, and to even have voice communication when we are within 50 feet of each other on the course.
How's BKool? I want to give it a try when my free trial is over for Zwift. From reading about it, it sounds like you can map out any course you'd like, load it into the program and then ride it with a google maps type view...is that correct? If so, I'd really like to map out some routes I used to ride when I was young back in my home town. Not to mention mapping out some of the classic tour climbs and whatnot.

Originally Posted by RoderWrench
I've been doing the Wednesday night group ride (WWR) and train on my own other days. Group rides are a blast when you're in the peloton, but when you fall off the back, they're GONE! Still great fun and motivation to keep pace next time. I'm certain I'll be in better shape this spring than I was last year.
I think I latched onto a small group of WWR people last Wednesday. I pedaled my ass off for about a mile and then died, just couldn't keep up. The draft in a big group like that is insane.

BKool has this, I'm sure it'll be implemented at some point. I swear I read something about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.