Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid-spoke failure...causes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 05:37 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,270 Times in 584 Posts

A colleague of mine inherited a very nice Nishiki from his father. It's actually one of the nicest Nishiki's I have ever seen, a mid-70s black & red Nishiki with full Campagnolo Nuovo Record and a factory milled Cinelli stem (~'77 Nishiki Pro?) and an elegantly sloped fork crown. Overall, it's in good shape. I've helped with a few minor repairs to get it back on the road. However, he's been breaking spokes at an unusual rate. Over the past couple months, he's broken three spokes, all on the front wheel. But what's most surprising is that the spokes have been breaking in the middle, not at the elbows as is most common. One spoke broke where it intersected another spoke, but two others broke right in the middle of the spoke. The wheels are 36h and have even spoke tension; maybe a touch tight, but not exceptionally tight according to my own unscientific assessment. Lastly, worth mentioning is that the spokes are fairly thin, butted Stellas (at least they have a star on the head)--guessing 2.0/1.7/2.0. Any reasons why these spokes are failing in the middle? The only explanation I can think of is that maybe the spokes have experienced a high amount of wind up/twisting during the initial build or during subsequent maintenance/truing. The spoke nipples do feel tight. Any other potential causes for multiple "mid-spoke" failures? When would it make sense to simply rebuild the wheel (Campagnolo NR hubs and classic Rigida clincher rims) rather than continue to deal with broken spokes. Thoughts?
Old 11-30-15, 05:44 PM
Velocivixen

Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Don't know. My wheelbuilder told me that a frequent cause of spoke breakage is too loose vs too tight, so if they're breaking & a little on the tight side not sure that would be the reason.
Old 11-30-15, 05:49 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Are the spoke holes drilled in the rim down the middle or offset? If offset, are the spokes laced so they cross the centerline of the rim?
Old 11-30-15, 05:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,002 Times in 2,335 Posts
It's very rare for spokes to break in the middle. I would think there was some sort of damage induced during the butting process. The fact that it's a front wheel leads me to believe there may have been some damage to the spokes while riding.

At any rate, after 2 broken spokes, I'd consider rebuilding. Three is automatic for me.

Rebuild.
Old 11-30-15, 05:59 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Liked 635 Times in 357 Posts
I've broken them at the elbow (twice) and where two spokes cross each other (twice). We're talking 30-year-old, brittle galvanized spokes, though. I've never broken a spoke on a front wheel.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 11-30-15, 05:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Spokes breaking anyplace other than the elbow or threads means that something is happening other than normal wear and tear.

The most common cause is "notch failure" where there's a nick or gouge in the spoke which acts as a stress riser and leads to a failure there. We see this most often on right side rear spokes, which are damaged when the chain overshifts into them.

The other fairly common cause is "chloride corrosion". (here's more on that subject)This is a common cause of failure in certain types of stainless steels, and in spokes might be the result of the wrong grade of stainless, or improper processing. Sometimes impurities left over from the manufacturing process become gateways for chloride ions (ie. from road salt) to migrate into the steel where they cause the steel to become extremely brittle. The best evidence of chloride intrusion is tiny black dots or veins elsewhere in the spoke. When you see these, try flexing the spoke by squeezing opposite pairs together.

Regardless of the actual cause, or whether you ever find one, multiple unexplained failures argue for a total rebuild, especially if the time interval between failures is shortening.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-30-15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 06:31 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
The only explanation I can think of is that maybe the spokes have experienced a high amount of wind up/twisting during the initial build or during subsequent maintenance/truing. The spoke nipples do feel tight.
This could certainly be a contributing, if not primary cause. Stress risers, due to spoke-to-spoke contact, or some kind of systematic damage (including corrosion) to that particular batch of spokes, are another potential cause. The fact that the spokes are butted would tend to focus corrosion related failures in the butted region, due to the higher unit stress (though the elbow is certainly a vulnerable area also).
I concur, after 2 or more failures, time to relace, or at least address the issue, e.g. uneven or insufficient tension.
Old 11-30-15, 07:13 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Cheap low end spokes. See that a lot on dept store bikes.
Old 11-30-15, 09:20 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,270 Times in 584 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, especially [MENTION=158672]FBinNY[/MENTION] for the interesting notes on chloride corrosion. It is a curious case. These are nice quality spokes which didn't appear to show any significant signs of corrosion, but I'll have another look for black dots/veins when I have the chance.
Old 11-30-15, 09:28 PM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the chlorine corrosion issue on an otherwise nice wheelset. Tiny black spots on the spokes. The spots go into the spoke and can eventually cause it to break. Rebuilding with fresh spokes is really the only way to save the wheels.
Old 11-30-15, 10:36 PM
plonz 

Liked 491 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
When would it make sense to simply rebuild the wheel (Campagnolo NR hubs and classic Rigida clincher rims) rather than continue to deal with broken spokes. Thoughts?
Just out of curiosity, are the rims Rigida AL1320s by any chance? Reason I ask is I just laced up a pair to Campy NR hubs and they turned out great. I can send you my spoke specs if you decide to rebuild.
Old 12-01-15, 03:37 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Interesting explanations! Even accepting chloride corrosion, though, wouldn't they be more likely to break at the ends, like other spokes?

But whatever. There comes a time when you need to replace the spokes. Now is that time.
Old 12-01-15, 08:40 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a front wheel that this is happening on as well. I used cheap Sapim spokes for the build. I read they had an issue with this occurring in a batch of spokes they produced. My spokes have a small spot right in the middle of the spoke where they break. I haven't rebuilt yet, but I have replaced quite a few spokes. I hate having to spend a couple hours to build a wheel even though I know it is inevitable.
Old 12-01-15, 09:15 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 735 Times in 238 Posts
Spokes breaking in a 38 year old wheel, with an unknown build/use history.....seems pretty clear that a rebuild is in order.
Old 12-01-15, 09:20 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
I had a random spoke break in the middle earlier this year. Good, not cheap spokes. I took a close look at the break point and could see a void right in the middle of the spoke. Cause? I'm not sure, but appeared to be in the manufacturing process, not corrosion - no discolorations, not at the cross, no apparent gouges.
Old 12-01-15, 05:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Interesting explanations! Even accepting chloride corrosion, though, wouldn't they be more likely to break at the ends, like other spokes?

No. Chlorine ion embrittlement is a pretty random event. Some years back, 2 pairs of wheels that I kept in Cozumel suffered from this cancer. The spokes broke in random places while in storage, and all four wheels looked like victims of vandalism.

On close examination, I saw the characteristic black dots and veins at various places along the spokes' lengths. When I cut the wheel apart, I found that affected areas were as ductile as dried spaghetti and would snap cleanly at the least provocation.

On a butted spoke, you'd expect more breakage mid spoke, simply because that's a thinner area. However I suspect that the elbows are protected by virtue of oil weepage from the hubs which tends to cover the spokes there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-01-15, 06:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,079 Times in 2,641 Posts
If those are the old SS Robergel spokes, they are famous for breaking from fatigue. That they are breaking in the middle is a bit odd, but that they are breaking isn't at all. Figure those spokes dead and go out and get new ones.

I read the rest of the posts. This probably isn't fatigue, but using an incorrect SS wouldn't surprise me at all. SS for spokes was pretty new in 1977. Pre DT and Wheelsmith. (The ugly zinc plated Robergel Sports were radically higher quality spokes when it came to longevity and reliability. I raced the Sports and after one miserable wheel, refused to ever build with the Tois Etoiles (sp) again.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-01-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 06:11 PM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The other fairly common cause is "chloride corrosion". (here's more on that subject)This is a common cause of failure in certain types of stainless steels, and in spokes might be the result of the wrong grade of stainless, or improper processing. Sometimes impurities left over from the manufacturing process become gateways for chloride ions (ie. from road salt) to migrate into the steel where they cause the steel to become extremely brittle. The best evidence of chloride intrusion is tiny black dots or veins elsewhere in the spoke. When you see these, try flexing the spoke by squeezing opposite pairs together.
This came up a few times at the shop in Lake Charles, but in the cases in Southwest Louisiana, road salt is not a concern. Storage in a shed with pool chemicals and/or fertilizer will cause strange things to happen however. We had a customer come in with a 5-6 year old Trek Navigator, they aired it up after sitting in a shed for a few years, and multiple spokes broke in the middle the first time someone sat on the bike to ride it. Like ten or more per wheel which could be catastrophic if the bike got up to even a cruising the neighborhood speed before failure occurred. We did warn customers buying new bikes not to store them in an unventilated area with said chemicals, but you never know what information is actually retained when someone is buying a new bike. The excitement factor sometimes negates important information.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-01-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 06:16 PM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
And yes, the spokes had the strength of angel hair pasta. It was freaky!,,,,BD