Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

schwinn hyrbrid network 3.0-replacing the brake pads!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 02:28 PM
johnbobsmithy22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm a bike noob as you can probably figure out because I am posting about replacing brake pads. I got a schwinn hybrid network 3.0. So i wanted to save some money because bike shops always jack up prices and charge so much to do quick fixes. I ended up trying to buy my own brake pads. The problem is, once I got the brake pads, shimano dura-ace ultegra 105, I realized that these wont work with my bike. These are the rubber inserts and my v brakes do not take inserts. Rather you need to replace the whole washer brake pad set. It seems that it is road bikes that take the inserts that can fit into the cartridge. It was a let down because I bought the wrong brake pads and also it seems so much easier to replace inserts!
so basically i want to know 3 things:
1. Is it possible to get the cartridges that take rubber inserts and use them on my v brakes for my hybrid bike? (they seem more convenient and I will be able to salvage the inserts that I bought)
2. If this is not possible, what kind of brake pads should I get? (would appreciate if you guys could provide links to the pads so that I buy the correct ones this time lol)
3. I have no multi-tool kit yet! I am going to need one to do this fix as well as other minor fixes in the future, like changing tubes. What is a basic multi tool which is good for beginners? (would appreciate if you could be specific with the name or provide links)

Hope you guys can give me some helpful advice! Thanks!
Old 12-02-15, 04:36 PM
dazevedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would just buy Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977 to replace what’s on your bike now ( if these are the type of brakes your bike has ) and down the road you can get Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Old 12-02-15, 04:49 PM
johnbobsmithy22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much dazevedo! Do you happen to know what the difference between v type 1 and v type 2 is?
Old 12-02-15, 05:21 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
This is what I replaced my brake pads with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

And I didn't need a multi-tool -- just a hex key.
Old 12-02-15, 05:38 PM
dazevedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnbobsmithy22
Thank you so much dazevedo! Do you happen to know what the difference between v type 1 and v type 2 is?
The v2 has thinker pads per the web site. None of my bikes have v brakes so no first hand knowledge myself, maybe someone that has used these will come on and let you know.
Old 12-02-15, 05:52 PM
johnbobsmithy22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some of the brake pads I see are threaded and the brake pads cannot be inserted and taken out. Is this just a preference or are some bikes only compatible with this type of brake pad?
Old 12-02-15, 07:05 PM
dazevedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Threaded or non-threaded depends on the style of brakes and pad/holder it uses. You need to make sure which is on your bike to make sure you get the proper style.

I prefer the replacement style pad holders vs non-replaceable pad style just because I can usually change the pads 3 or 4 times without readjusting the toe in.
Old 12-02-15, 07:10 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobsmithy22
Do you happen to know what the difference between v type 1 and v type 2 is?
I don't know enough to answer that question, but I took a look at a picture of the Network 3.0 on Amazon, and the brakes look the same as mine. So I'm pretty sure the ones I linked above will work just fine for you.