Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixing old Trek 1000, fork issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 08:27 PM
Hanson1

Bikes: Trek 1400, Trek 1000, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, and thanks for your help in advance. I got a Trek 1000 a few weeks ago (late 80's/early 90's) as a fixer-upper winter project and have run into snags way before I thought I would. I was taking everything apart to get a bare frame so I can strip/paint it and when I flipped the bike over I could hear what I think is rust on the inside of the forks trickling down. There's noticeable rust/bubbling on the outside so I want to replace it just to be on the safe side. I don't know how to remove it first of all, and then how to choose a new fork. I don't necessarily care about weight or anything else, just want something that resembles stock and is strong.

Also, when I went to take the back brake mechanism off, the hex nut is so stripped I have no idea how to remove it. Can anyone help? Thanks again for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-15, 09:11 PM
Aubergine 
Francophile

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 674 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanson1
There's noticeable rust/bubbling on the outside so I want to replace it just to be on the safe side.
i can't imagine why you would want to replace the rust.

Seriously, it is not that hard to remove or replace a steel fork. To remove it, you simply need to unscrew the headset, and then the fork should drop out of the main part of the frame. You would need them to knock the bottom headset race off the fork so you can reuse it on the new fork.

I bought an old frame with a bent fork, and bought a replacement fork in eBay. The trick is to make sure the new fork has the right steering tube dimensions, and is of the right height (or a bit taller.) the steerer tube is threaded, you see, so any new fork has to match what your frame needs.

Also, when I went to take the back brake mechanism off, the hex nut is so stripped I have no idea how to remove it. Can anyone help? Thanks again for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated.
I suggest using vise grips.
Old 12-01-15, 09:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,655 Times in 2,201 Posts
If you plan to reuse the headset you also have to make sure the crown race seat of the new fork matches the crown race of your existing headset. (JIS 27mm or ISO 26.4mm)

Another thing is make sure it's a fork for the size wheel you plan to use (700c or 27" late '80's Trek would be likely 700 wheels) or your brakes may not reach. Likely you'll need a 1" threaded steerer for 700 wheels.

We won't even get into rake and trail.

Honestly you might be better off buying another bike and have all the parts rather than pay $40-50 for a decent fork alone.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/5340296660.html

It may not actually be rust but braze pieces or debris inside the fork legs. You're in Chi so it easily could be rust too.

Repair Help Articles - Park Tool

Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information
Old 12-02-15, 07:01 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Liked 113 Times in 84 Posts
It doesn't seem to take much rust to cause paint bubbles. I'd scrape it off and see what it looks like. A little sanding and some Rustoleum/equivalent might be all that's needed.
Old 12-02-15, 07:53 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Liked 106 Times in 83 Posts
+1 Just touch up or repaint the fork. Much easier. Or just leave it as-is.

For the back brake, grab the whole caliper and try rotating it to the left (counter-clockwise.) This might loosen it up enough, since you probably won't be able to grab the recessed nut with anything.
Old 12-02-15, 12:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
If the fork has (and it likely does) two vent holes per blade one can wash out the loose stuff might be rust or might be left over flux from manufacturing) with a hot water bath/flushing. be sure to fully dry it out by warming the fork in an oven (keep temps at the warming settings). Then one can flush with a phosphate solution (navel Jelly but thinner to flow in and out of the tiny holes. Again fully dry. Then do the usual paint prep on the outside, paint and spray in FrameSaver after paint is done. Andy.
Old 12-03-15, 03:27 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Make sure it's a fork for the size wheel you plan to use (700c or 27" late '80's Trek would be likely 700 wheels) or your brakes may not reach.
Yeah, been there done that. Ended up with a center-pull 70s Raleigh International fork where my Campy brakes could not reach the rim. Bought a set of 2015 Tektros and now my front can handle a 29'er + brake performance is waay better.

Before even doing all this work, take it to your LBS and have them look at it. They might A: determine its actually fine and you dont need to mess with it or B: determine that it is not at all ok and take a look at the rest of your bike as well.