Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 11:29 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Lots of great bikes in here lately...as usual. Thanks for all the pictures and commentary.

I can't see @Perbicivecto 's link, but perhaps I will be able to from home instead of here at work. @THEJAPINO 's Univega is awesome too, and I appreciate the pics of the moustache bar setup from the rider's perspective. Those brake levers look so strange mounted to far inboard like that, but they must work. The picture of the hand on the bar helps me understand how they might.

Here's my bike, which you guys have seen before, a few hours before the snowy Broncos vs. Patriots game this past Sunday night.

P.S. Bonus points for the Colonel Potter quote by @simmonsgc : "Not enough "o's" in smooooth."
Old 12-01-15, 11:49 AM
simmonsgc

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Perbicivecto
New here.. Hope I'm doing this correctly!

Found a very nice frame minus the fork. Picked out a Pacenti crown and a BIG thank you to Greg Reiche for fashioning a beautiful new fork! I think it's fairly reminiscent of the original, but actually much better than the original. Also, many thanks to Cruz at Cyclart for the fantastic paint/paint match on the fork and touch up paint on the frame. And those Rat Trap Pass Extralight tires really are as awesome as advertised! Thanks Jan and get well soon!
Hoochie-mama. That's a top-shelf piece of work right there. Welcome, and you should be in the running for the 'killer first post award.' Because of the overall awesomeness of the build, you are hereby granted an indulgence for the mis-matched bottle cages by the C&V brethren and sistren. Shall I send you a silver one?

Now I'm gonna be ashamed to post my MB2 when it gets back from powdercoat.

EDIT: Ah, now I see the plan...the bottle cages match the skewers. Well done!

Last edited by simmonsgc; 12-01-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 11:51 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,129 Times in 657 Posts
Harry Morgan, RIP. Another great character actor !
Old 12-01-15, 02:37 PM
simmonsgc

Originally Posted by Squeeze
Here's my bike, which you guys have seen before, a few hours before the snowy Broncos vs. Patriots game this past Sunday night.

P.S. Bonus points for the Colonel Potter quote by @simmonsgc : "Not enough "o's" in smooooth."
I dig the ample rackage! Also, hope your ride worked out better for you than the game did for the Patriots!
Old 12-01-15, 03:03 PM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New here.. Hope I'm doing this correctly!

Found a very nice frame minus the fork. Picked out a Pacenti crown and a BIG thank you to Greg Reiche for fashioning a beautiful new fork! I think it's fairly reminiscent of the original, but actually much better than the original. Also, many thanks to Cruz at Cyclart for the fantastic paint/paint match on the fork and touch up paint on the frame. And those Rat Trap Pass Extralight tires really are as awesome as advertised! Thanks Jan and get well soon!

pics in link below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...kRvcFo4VDRoSEU
Nicely done. How do you like those tires? and can you tell me a little about them. Thanks.
Old 12-01-15, 04:11 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I hate all of you. I have barely any miles on my recent CX bike build but I CAN NOT get my mind off an MTB drop bar conversion. This is not helping.
Old 12-01-15, 04:18 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Heck of a build on that bike. Really well done, it's looks fantastic.
And that fork, oh baby...

It should have its own thread.
I agree! Being a totally newb.. Where should i start the thread?
Old 12-01-15, 04:28 PM
tricky 

Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

Go ahead and start it in C&V since the fork ended up on a vintage bike. There is already a frame build thread here anyways, and I selfishly just want it on the only forum I frequent.

Classic & Vintage
Old 12-01-15, 04:32 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midtown
Nicely done. How do you like those tires? and can you tell me a little about them. Thanks.
I LOVE the tires! They'll handle an incredibly wide variety of situations; just add or let out air pressure as the terrain dictates. SO smooth, quiet, and easy on the hands and posterior. Get the air pressure dialed in and it's like having suspension but they're still fast! Obviously, there'll be situations where you'll need knobbies. I use Schwalbe AV14A tubes with about 45mls of Bontrager TLR in each tube. Here's a link to the tire's page at Compass:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...rat-trap-pass/
Old 12-01-15, 04:36 PM
brockd15 

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
As tricky said, in the C&V forum for sure. You'll get plenty of admirers.
Just click the big blue "+Post New Thread" button at the top left of the page.
Old 12-01-15, 06:32 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Heck of a build on that bike. Really well done, it's looks fantastic.
And that fork, oh baby...

It should have its own thread.
Posted in C&V for ya!
Old 12-01-15, 06:33 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Go ahead and start it in C&V since the fork ended up on a vintage bike. There is already a frame build thread here anyways, and I selfishly just want it on the only forum I frequent.

Classic & Vintage
posted in C&V
Old 12-01-15, 07:15 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hoochie-mama. That's a top-shelf piece of work right there. Welcome, and you should be in the running for the 'killer first post award.' Because of the overall awesomeness of the build, you are hereby granted an indulgence for the mis-matched bottle cages by the C&V brethren and sistren. Shall I send you a silver one?

Now I'm gonna be ashamed to post my MB2 when it gets back from powdercoat.

EDIT: Ah, now I see the plan...the bottle cages match the skewers. Well done!
Thank you for the award! Sorry bout the mis-matched cages..lol. I'd never thought about the cages accenting the skewers..thanks! Actually, I use that old Vetta, coated cage because it holds my speaker PERFECTLY! And the color of the cage is close to the little stripes above and below the off-white panel on the seat tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mb1 spkr.jpg (98.6 KB, 623 views)
Old 12-01-15, 07:19 PM
simmonsgc

One last question...that rear end OLD is 135mm, and I'm assuming you didn't cold set it any further. So that 2.3 fits in there at the chainstays? I tried a 2.3 on my MB2 and got rub there. It was no dice. I expect you ain't got much room to spare there, right? From your speaker photo, it looks pretty snug!
Old 12-01-15, 07:24 PM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last question...that rear end OLD is 135mm, and I'm assuming you didn't cold set it any further. So that 2.3 fits in there at the chainstays? I tried a 2.3 on my MB2 and got rub there. It was no dice. I expect you ain't got much room to spare there, right? From your speaker photo, it looks pretty snug!
Not even close to rubbing. It's got a good 10mm on each side and below the Motolite actually. But maybe my rims (Mavic XM 719's) are narrower than yours?

Last edited by Perbicivecto; 12-01-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 10:16 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I LOVE the tires! They'll handle an incredibly wide variety of situations; just add or let out air pressure as the terrain dictates. SO smooth, quiet, and easy on the hands and posterior. Get the air pressure dialed in and it's like having suspension but they're still fast! Obviously, there'll be situations where you'll need knobbies. I use Schwalbe AV14A tubes with about 45mls of Bontrager TLR in each tube. Here's a link to the tire's page at Compass:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...rat-trap-pass/
I run Schwalbe Big Apples (26x2.0) and they are said to have similar benefits, though they have a kevlar strip and are I think a bit heavier. Have you tried the BAs and if so - care to compare them with the Rat Trap Pass?
Old 12-02-15, 10:40 AM
Perbicivecto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never tried Big Apples.
Old 12-02-15, 10:58 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Liked 636 Times in 358 Posts
Hoochie-mama. That's a top-shelf piece of work right there...

Indeed, but I wouldn't use that particular bit of vernacular to describe her. Not unless everyone in town is riding her.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-06-15, 01:47 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Ok, so you guys did this to me. Picked up this heap for more money than I probably should have ($60) today. Odd situation and I had already talked myself into the bike before I went to look at it knowing that I was going to replace nearly everything on it.

As picked up and pictured there, it weighed a total of 30 pounds. Stripped down, the frame and fork weighed in at 8 pounds. I have a ton of parts bin stuff, including a full late 80's 105 group that will go on the bike. The rear rim was pretty much beyond saving, but I might ride it for a bit. I don't think a single component was original, and the paint is not very good. Lots of chips and scrapes. I've been envisioning a bare metal finish, so that may happen. But the 3.75 year old daughter really likes the pink and purple, so it might stay for a while.

I will try to hack it together over the next week and see if I can get it road worthy with the rear rim situation. We'll see.
Old 12-06-15, 04:44 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Ok, so you guys did this to me. Picked up this heap for more money than I probably should have ($60) today. Odd situation and I had already talked myself into the bike before I went to look at it knowing that I was going to replace nearly everything on it.

As picked up and pictured there, it weighed a total of 30 pounds. Stripped down, the frame and fork weighed in at 8 pounds. I have a ton of parts bin stuff, including a full late 80's 105 group that will go on the bike. The rear rim was pretty much beyond saving, but I might ride it for a bit. I don't think a single component was original, and the paint is not very good. Lots of chips and scrapes. I've been envisioning a bare metal finish, so that may happen. But the 3.75 year old daughter really likes the pink and purple, so it might stay for a while.

I will try to hack it together over the next week and see if I can get it road worthy with the rear rim situation. We'll see.
Being a really big fan of specialized I love those garish 2 tone paint jobs. Keep us in the loop on the build.
Old 12-06-15, 02:31 PM
degan 

Liked 103 Times in 55 Posts
Just about done.
Old 12-06-15, 08:28 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Ok, so today I got the headset cleaned and reinstalled, as well as put a proper loose ball bearing BB in it and gave the frame a good wash.

The paint is pretty rough, but I'll leave it for now. I know people like this two-tone goodness, but if I commit to this frame long term, it's probably going to end up with a bare metal finish. In fact, there are lots of stupid things I want to do if I commit to this long term. But for now, the goal is to get it rolling and see how I like it.

I realized I had some 7 speed DT shifters and bar end adapters, so that sorts the shifting. 105 crank, FD, and RD, all beat to heck and back. And probably the nicest thing will be the nearly new Tektro canti's I pulled from another bike after only a few months of use. I'll also try to reuse some metal "hammered" fenders I have from a 700c build that I have seen people reshape for 26" use.

Long term, I'd like to get my dyno hub built up and have even entertained the idea of some older alloy campy brifters.
Old 12-06-15, 09:52 PM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikedude, I bought that when they first came out around the mid 80's. It looks like all the original parts (seat, tires, deore dx group). The fork/headset is also 1.5"
Old 12-07-15, 06:23 AM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I will never get the draw of a bare steel finish, on anything. I see it on 40's-60's cars all the time now, and even a couple of people I know have made bare steel "rat rod" cruiser bikes. Anyone who cares enough to look at these cars and bikes knows they're steel. There's no reason to try to prove the point by going around with a two or four wheeled vehicle with the constant maintenance hassles. When the project newness wears off, the car or bike sits and rusts away ten times as fast, leaving nothing for future generations to restore and enjoy. Just my 2 cents.,,,,BD

I am dealing with this exact thing right now. A 1950 Ford pickup, that was completely stripped for bodywork, then left in a dirt floor pole barn for 30 years. There's no paint anywhere on it, and it will take a LOT of work to bring it back to land of the living.

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-07-15 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 08:32 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

The funny thing I've noticed about posting personal projects on these forums is that everyone else knows exactly what you should do with your bike.

But seriously, if I go that route, it will initially live with a WD-40 bath reapplied as needed and eventually it would get another strip and a clear powder coat. Or possibly, we have some clear finish stuff at work we apply to custom tooling we make, and that might do the job. But that's IF I go that route with this frame, but it will happen with either this frame or another.

I had a beautiful modern CX bike that I had built into a commuter/touring bike with dynamo lights which had a brush aluminum frame (with a clear coat), and I guess I'm trying to recreate it in a true vintage style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.