Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone switch from a Surly to classic or vintage steel bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone switch from a Surly to classic or vintage steel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 09:11 PM
hujev
I'm one of the freaks.

Location: Lake Superior country, Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Periodically leaves/returns to Alaska for good.

Bikes: Woodrup: '85 Giro Touring & '16 custom touring. Stanforth: '17 Kibo & '19 Skyelander. '93 Longstaff trike. Trek: '84 830 & '89 420. '83 cannondale ST-500. Stumpjumpers: '82 tig'd, '82 lug'd, '84. '83 Univega Gran Turismo. etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought an LHT frame in 2005, mainly as a sort of compromise from a possible custom frame as the geometry seemed perfect. Built up with mostly 1970s-early 80s parts or contemporary versions of same [ about and photos: Robert's heavy-duty touring bike of 2005! ].

I've ridden it on a few ~1000-mile loaded tours (recent Sept-Oct 2015) and oddly on the first 3 I always had a shimmy coasting at >27mph, but this last tour - same bags, luggage, etc. - no shimmy.

Anyway, the geometry's still right, and it served me well (est latest tour), but I'm having a custom Woodrup built up to serve as my new heavy tourer. (I've also previously had older bikes and vastly prefer them, so not a switch from a 'never had' experience).

Main points on the new frame for me: 1" steerer and quill stem, Made in England, lugged, Reynolds tubes, a few minor tweaks, etc.

The LHT'll find some future use as a frankenbike, commuter or whatever...
Old 12-07-15, 09:16 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
I strongly encourage anyone who has ever been sucked into the Surly LHT cult to find and source a Cannondale ST vintage bike. Lighter, stronger, stiffer, more efficient than any vintage racing steel bike, but relaxed geometry for randonneur or touring, and the bike was designed for loaded touring. With the racks off it will sprint and climb well enough for your "A" group fast group ride, but it will also carry you for unsupported touring fully loaded with racks, panniers, and smiles.

It was in 1983 what Rivendell and the LHT have been trying to do since. Only as a veritable rocket bike, if a rocket bike had comfortable touring non-racing geometry. Probably the best sprinting, climbing, fastest bike most cyclist will ever own. Which is funny considering the dog the LHT is. So consider abandoning the "steel is real" cult and try a vintage Cannondale ST. You'll be shocked by the Country bike that is an absolute rolling joy to ride. As a bonus, as a commuter it doesn't RUST, so vintage ones are easy to find.
Good to hear! I have a 90 ST600 and couldn't agree with you more.
Old 12-07-15, 09:20 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I will add that I have ridden many C&V road racing bikes. All fun. I have a Surly CC set up single speed and like it very much. It is not a road racing bike. It is an A10 Warthog. It is my street to MUP to gravel bike.
Old 12-07-15, 09:51 PM
hujev
I'm one of the freaks.

Location: Lake Superior country, Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Periodically leaves/returns to Alaska for good.

Bikes: Woodrup: '85 Giro Touring & '16 custom touring. Stanforth: '17 Kibo & '19 Skyelander. '93 Longstaff trike. Trek: '84 830 & '89 420. '83 cannondale ST-500. Stumpjumpers: '82 tig'd, '82 lug'd, '84. '83 Univega Gran Turismo. etc.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Cannondale ST vintage bike
I had/have one of those too the original ST500 - I believe it was the second Cannondale in my state at the time. I toured some with it, also did a lot of 'rough stuff' forest road riding in the Keweenaw (20+ years before it apparently became a mecca, before the fancy trails!). It toured loaded great, esp. on a month-long ride around Lake Superior... course I was like 21 years old... even the sidepull brakes stopped me and my load on those big Laurentian hills no problem (I carried on that trip, amongst other things, a 1-mantle Coleman white gas lantern, a hatchet, a full-size SLR, etc.)

Poor thing hasn't gotten much use in last 15 years as in storage 3000 miles away. I have a NOS Superbe Tech derailleur in storage there for an eventual refurb...