Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People honking at me triggers my RAGE

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

People honking at me triggers my RAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 02:00 PM
justadude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter S
+1!!! I can't believe a cyclist would do that and steadfastly maintain their "correctness" in doing so. That's more unnerving than some ignorant driver.
You guys are 100% right. All honking is bad, in any and every circumstance. I am going to remove the horn from my car right now. I don't know what I was thinking before. I will be angry and complain about it, whenever other drivers honk their horns.
Old 12-15-15, 02:04 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 121 Posts
Or just don't honk at cyclists?
Old 12-15-15, 02:06 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justadude
In my state, Florida, the law about using horns is: "The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn.". I also agree with the California DMV guide you provided. It seems to me like a few people here are completely intolerant of drivers using there horns under any circumstances except maybe during a collision, or maybe not even then. The origin of this post is a fellow cyclist expressing how drivers using their horns triggers feelings of "rage" while he or she is bicycling. My point was to explain that people honk for different reasons, sometimes for good and not just in anger or spite. It seems my thoughts about it are not well-received by a few people here, and that's ok. I wish you all to be safe and have a nice day.
Help out on that score and layoff the horn.
Old 12-15-15, 02:07 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
You guys are 100% right. All honking is bad, in any and every circumstance. I am going to remove the horn from my car right now. I don't know what I was thinking before. I will be angry and complain about it, whenever other drivers honk their horns.
It's not that honking is always bad... I get enough friendly / warning honks that it often doesn't even startle me. And I get that your honks were not done in anger but well intentioned. Still, they are not necessary.
Old 12-15-15, 02:11 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to cancel my account here and quit using this forum, because I don't like it any more.
Old 12-15-15, 02:12 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If you need to alert drivers behind you that you may need to slow down quite a lot, use your emergency flashers. Honking is intended for things/people more or less in front of the car, not people behind.
Old 12-15-15, 02:24 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
I'm going to cancel my account here and quit using this forum, because I don't like it any more.

It's a regional thing. For those of us who grew up in SoCal the only people who actually honk are from East coast big cities who move here and ruin the place and are pretty much the only ones who probably should be honked at. There are of course exceptions.
Old 12-15-15, 02:43 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That might be a good idea if you came to BF to find people that agree with your every move.
Old 12-15-15, 03:20 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Like with other things, excessive behavior outside the norm will be counter productive, and not appreciated.
Old 12-15-15, 03:30 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That might be a good idea if you came to BF to find people that agree with your every move.
In a good forum, I expect to find people who don't argue or make accusations with my every post, while in doing so prove they didn't actually read it.

Because my post before, which minutes before You also quoted in reply, I said, "It seems my thoughts about it are not well-received by a few people here, and that's ok.".

So when you say "...if you came to BF to find people that agree with your every move", it just shows you didn't read my post.

It seems clear to me from your own words in your responses, that you Walter S, and the other guy who has nearly 25,000 posts here, responded negatively to my posts without actually reading them.

Basically, what I understand is you want to back up the person getting angry at drivers, which is ok. Maybe drivers who use their horns annoys the hell out of you. Ok. But you came at me about it like a troll, which is not ok.
Old 12-15-15, 03:38 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In a good forum, I expect to find people who don't argue or make accusations with my every post, while in doing so prove they didn't actually read it.

Because my post before, which minutes before You also quoted in reply, I said, "It seems my thoughts about it are not well-received by a few people here, and that's ok.".

So when you say "...if you came to BF to find people that agree with your every move", it just shows you didn't read my post.

It seems clear to me from your own words in your responses, that you Walter S, and the other guy who has nearly 25,000 posts here, responded negatively to my posts without actually reading them.

Basically, what I understand is you want to back up the person getting angry at drivers, which is ok. Maybe drivers who use their horns annoys the hell out of you. Ok. But you came at me about it like a troll, which is not ok.
If strong disagreement with your honking is trolling then I'm a full time troll.
Old 12-15-15, 04:09 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If strong disagreement with your honking is trolling then I'm a full time troll.
For the third time, Walter: I said, "It seems my thoughts about it are not well-received by a few people here, and that's ok.".

And then you said, "...you came to BF to find people that agree with your every move.". <-- That is what makes trolling.

For anyone who reads your misunderstandings of what I wrote in this forum and attributes them to me: I do not routinely or even frequently use my horn when I pass a cyclist on the road, but briefly in the occasional situation in which I believe it is necessary for safety. That is according to the law and recommended practice in my state, and the way which I was taught to drive. I have been driving over 20 years and just recently reached 200,000 miles on my current vehicle. I've had no accidents or complaints from drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, or anyone really. I'm sure you or someone else will criticize or mock again what I have just written here, but I don't care any more. Troll on, and be angry as you like.
Old 12-15-15, 04:29 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I grew up in California and lived in Florida for 3 years.

I have never seen a driver in either state honk with the expectation that another driver behind them is going to understand that the honk is for them. Based on my 3 years living in FL, the drivers there honk at people in front of them, not behind, just like in CA.
Old 12-15-15, 04:39 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
I grew up in California and lived in Florida for 3 years.

I have never seen a driver in either state honk with the expectation that another driver behind them is going to understand that the honk is for them. Based on my 3 years living in FL, the drivers there honk at people in front of them, not behind, just like in CA.
Then Florida passes the IQ test!
Old 12-15-15, 04:40 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If you need to alert drivers behind you that you may need to slow down quite a lot, use your emergency flashers. Honking is intended for things/people more or less in front of the car, not people behind.
Patrick that seems like a good idea, but... in my state hazard flashers are specifically only to be used on parked vehicles, and are illegal when used on moving vehicles.

For example: you're going 35 mph on a 2-lane road, and want to give cyclists who appear in front of you at 10 mph the right-of-way. Sure, apply the brakes. But if the car following doesn't brake when you brake, what is the point? I've seen it happen more than a few times to other people. If I may tap my horn as I brake, the following driver is made aware. This doesn't mean I tap my horn every time I brake or see cyclists ahead, of course.

The general idea is safety, of course, and not to annoy cyclists.

Last edited by justadude; 12-15-15 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 04:56 PM
McBTC

California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices [h=3]Horn, Headlights, and Emergency Signals[/h]

[h=3]Use Your Horn[/h]
  • Only when necessary, to avoid collisions.
  • To try to get "eye contact" with other drivers. You may tap your horn to alert another driver who might turn in front of you and cause a collision.
  • On narrow mountain roads, where you cannot see at least 200 feet ahead of your vehicle.
[h=3]Don't Use Your Horn[/h]
  • If a driver or bicyclist is going slowly, and you want him or her to drive faster or get out of your way. The driver or bicyclist may not be able to safely go faster, due to illness, being lost, intoxication, or having mechanical problems with the vehicle.
  • To alert other drivers that they made a mistake. Your honking may cause them to make more mistakes or to become angry and retaliate.
  • Because you may be angry or upset.
  • To honk at pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists unless necessary to avoid a collision. Remember that your horn sounds much louder outside a vehicle.

NOTE:
Honking your horn may startle other drivers. It is safer to slow down or stop instead of honking your horn.
Old 12-15-15, 05:07 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
That's why I ride with a "Honk if you're Horny" jersey.
Love it!!!

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Honking is Good...It Means they See You...Just wave at them.
+1 Happened today, honked with no clear reason (besides bike on the road), I waved and blew a kiss.

I used to give the one-finger salute to honkers, I was in the process of changing my attitude on honkers (flick them off to wave) when I was leaving work one day and I hear a horn behind me and I gave a friendly wave. Good thing, because it was a co-worker. This really solidified it in my mind, don't be an a$$hole to anybody on the road, you have no idea who it is. (that said, I still fall back to the one-finger salute from time-to-time 'cause I'm still an little bit of an a$$hole).
Old 12-15-15, 05:10 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"On a two-lane road, tap your horn, or at night blink your headlights to let the other driver know you are passing." Florida Drivers License Handbook 2014, page 38, Section 5.25 - Passing.

It looks like, on the two-lane road, I'm supposed to tap my horn Every time when I'm passing. Good to know.

Last edited by justadude; 12-15-15 at 05:19 PM. Reason: update reference
Old 12-15-15, 05:16 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by McBTC
California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices Horn, Headlights, and Emergency Signals

Use Your Horn

• Only when necessary, to avoid collisions.
  • To try to get "eye contact" with other drivers. You may tap your horn to alert another driver who might turn in front of you and cause a collision.
  • On narrow mountain roads, where you cannot see at least 200 feet ahead of your vehicle.
Don't Use Your Horn

• If a driver or bicyclist is going slowly, and you want him or her to drive faster or get out of your way. The driver or bicyclist may not be able to safely go faster, due to illness, being lost, intoxication, or having mechanical problems with the vehicle.
  • To alert other drivers that they made a mistake. Your honking may cause them to make more mistakes or to become angry and retaliate.
  • Because you may be angry or upset.
  • To honk at pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists unless necessary to avoid a collision. Remember that your horn sounds much louder outside a vehicle.

NOTE:
Honking your horn may startle other drivers. It is safer to slow down or stop instead of honking your horn.
Thank you. Honking is especially purposeless when the honk is to alert people behind you. Just tap your brakes a couple times while slowing. You're far more likely to annoy or startle somebody than anything else with the honk.
Old 12-15-15, 05:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
"On a two-lane road, tap your horn, or at night blink your headlights to let the other driver know you are passing." Florida Drivers License Handbook 2014, page 38, Section 5.25 - Passing.
We've explained why we don't like it when we're on bikes. It's loud and sudden and unnecessary. We can tell what you're doing with our ears.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-15, 05:19 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
The world is full of people who are imbeciles at least once in a while.
Originally Posted by kickstart
Remind yourself of the times you've been less than perfect. We all have our regrettable moments.
I realized years ago that, with so many people on the road, even if everyone made only one mistake a week we would all see lots of stupid stuff every day.

Just relax and give others the same break you no doubt expect when it's your turn to be less than perfect...
Old 12-15-15, 05:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

If you're referring to me, I did read your posts. I think you're wrong and your attempted justifications and arguments are unpersuasive.
Old 12-15-15, 05:26 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you. Honking is especially purposeless when the honk is to alert people behind you. Just tap your brakes a couple times while slowing. You're far more likely to annoy or startle somebody than anything else with the honk.
Of course, it is preferable for a driver to not use the horn when braking. Unless it is abrupt and unexpected braking, as in an emergency.
Old 12-15-15, 05:28 PM
McBTC

• Avoid honking your horn.

Bicyclists can usually hear an approaching vehicle and loud noises can startle bicyclists, causing a crash.

~Florida Drivers License Handbook 2014

Old 12-15-15, 05:28 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
If you're referring to me, I did read your posts. I think you're wrong and your attempted justifications and arguments are unpersuasive.
I'm not referring to you, and as I have not crashed into any cyclists or other cars, I am ok with your opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.